Thursday, May 06, 2021

The American Humanist Association (AHA) has revoked its top "Humanist of the Year" honor from British biologist and noted atheist Richard Dawkins for the academic's history of demeaning marginalized groups under "the guise of scientific discourse," pointing to a recent statement that questions the validity of transgender people and suggests Black identity can be "assumed when convenient."

Comments

People say dumb crap all the time. And they should be held accountable for the dumb crap they say.

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-05-06 06:29 PM | Reply

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
Butane in my veins and I'm out to cut the junkie
With the plastic eyeballs, spray-paint the vegetables
Dog food stalls with the beefcake pantyhose
Soy un perdedor...

--Beck

#2 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-05-06 06:53 PM | Reply

Keep those anti-science comments comin'. Cuz clearly no one here has anything else to offer as a counterpoint.

#3 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-06 07:50 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-05-06 08:06 PM | Reply

How is rescinding an award "anti science"?

Why the drama and what is it about blacks and or trans people that infuriates you?

#5 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-05-06 08:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

She blinded me...WITH SCIENCE!!

Good heavens Miss Sakamoto - you're BEAUTIFUL!!

de do de duh

#6 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-05-06 09:28 PM | Reply

I don't believe it!
There she goes again!!
She's tidied up, and I can't find anything!!!
All my tubes and wires
And careful notes
And antiquated notions...

#7 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-05-06 09:30 PM | Reply

Here's an inconvenient fact for many of you: Richard Dawkins invented the word "meme".

#8 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-06 09:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Coldplay--"The Scientist"

#9 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-05-06 09:32 PM | Reply

The Dandy Warhols--"I Am a Scientist"

#10 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-05-06 09:33 PM | Reply

I was frying on the bench slide in the park
across the street
L-a-t-e-r that week.
My sticky paws were in to making straws
Out of big fat slurpy treats
An incredible eight foot heap.
Now the funny glare
To pay a gleaming tare
In a staring under heat
Involved an under usual feat.
And I'm not only among but I invite who I want to come
So I missed a million miles of fun

--Len

#11 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-05-06 10:14 PM | Reply

"Here's an inconvenient fact"

That's an odd assumption

What is the inconvenience, exactly?

#12 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-05-06 10:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"What is the inconvenience, exactly?"

No "inconvenience"...he's just a dope in search of a reaction.

#13 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-05-06 10:36 PM | Reply

Len...

...it's been a long time.

Remember the movie "Go?"

I was watching "Dear Dictator" the other day. Katie Holmes played the mom. It dawned on me that I will never be able to see KH as anything other than a young adult cutie.

#14 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-05-07 03:35 AM | Reply

Assumed when convenient???

Maybe for a few black people but for the majority their Blackness can be seen a football field away.

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2021-05-07 09:00 AM | Reply

Article is a little short on details.

In any case, I never understood why Dawkins was so revered. I found his arguments unoriginal and rather mundane, just spoken like a true academic, ie with the undo confidence and authority of someone who made the original thought.

I couldn't even finish reading The God Delusion because it was reiterations of old arguments that kept circling back on themselves. It was tiresome, boring and not at all a novel read with new information being presented.

#16 | Posted by jpw at 2021-05-07 10:21 AM | Reply

For reference, here is the original tweet that led to this controversy:

twitter.com

Richard Dawkins
@RichardDawkins

In 2015, Rachel Dolezal, a white chapter president of NAACP, was vilified for identifying as Black. Some men choose to identify as women, and some women choose to identify as men. You will be vilified if you deny that they literally are what they identify as.

Discuss.

4:20 AM Apr 10, 2021

And a follow-up:

Richard Dawkins
@RichardDawkins
Apr 12
Replying to
@RichardDawkins

I do not intend to disparage trans people. I see that my academic "Discuss" question has been misconstrued as such and I deplore this. It was also not my intent to ally in any way with Republican bigots in US now exploiting this issue .

And here is the statement by AHA:
americanhumanist.org

There was clearly no disparaging or demeaning of anyone in his comments.

#17 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-07 10:44 AM | Reply

#14 MadBomber, an interesting fact about "Steal My Sunshine" is that the entire song is actually a ripoff sample of a two bar phrase break in Andrea True Connection's "More, More, More."

www.youtube.com

#18 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-05-07 10:58 AM | Reply

#16 You didn't skip to the end and at least read the conclusions? I do that now when articles get to verbose. Some you have to finish tho: "Earth In The Balance" was so boring I could only read a few pages at a time. It literally put me to sleep. It was the only overdue library book I've ever had.

But it was worth reading all the way through. Jesus-2 was right. Imagine the world we could have had if id hadn't been for Pontius Scalia.

#19 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-05-07 11:29 AM | Reply

#20 | Posted by Tor at 2021-05-07 12:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"The South Park guys were right about Dawkins he is a whiny b**** with a sadistic streak."

Even if he is, it's irrelevant to whether the reaction to and treatment of him in this case is reasonable or not.

#21 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-07 12:31 PM | Reply

You didn't skip to the end and at least read the conclusions?

Nope.

I figured it would be a long shot that the same tired arguments would yield a fresh, new conclusion.

#22 | Posted by jpw at 2021-05-07 01:27 PM | Reply

#23 | Posted by Tor at 2021-05-07 01:36 PM | Reply

#23 Woka-Cola says I can and should be less white. Why can't Blacks be less Black?

#24 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-05-07 01:46 PM | Reply

Woka-Cola says I can and should be less white.

Despite your initial, gut reaction.

Black face is not the answer.

#25 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-05-07 02:11 PM | Reply

Did Tyler Durden at Zero Hedge tell you that?

#26 | Posted by jpw at 2021-05-07 02:24 PM | Reply

"Dawkins has shown racist tenancies in the past but to Proclaim that black people can just magically become non-black at any moment is insanity."

???

Where does he proclaim that?

#27 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-07 06:16 PM | Reply

"Where does he proclaim that?"

'suggests Black identity can be "assumed when convenient."'

#28 | Posted by Tor at 2021-05-07 06:23 PM | Reply

"'suggests Black identity can be "assumed when convenient."'"

That's what AHA claims he did, but where did he actually do that?

#29 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-07 06:31 PM | Reply

That's nothing Maroon 5 stole pretty much the entirety of Pachelbel's Canon in D.

Best comment I read about it "If Pachelbel was still alive he'd be like WTF how am I still alive"

Oh and I'm jumping in with that 99% irrelevant comment because I really couldn't care less about the AHA or Richard Dawkins they both think far too much of themselves.

#30 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-05-07 07:36 PM | Reply

Why should race not be a choice like gender?

Consider Barak Obama. he is as much white as he is black. Yet if being able to check a box for one race or the other would yield a result that otherwise wouldn't be available, then why not?

My daughter's best friend is half Mexican, a quarter Thai, and a quarter Italian. What box should she check? The one that provides the most benfit.

One of my co-workers went to college on a scholarship given to him because he's part Native American. His mother can eat free at the casinos in Oklahoma. If you saw him, you'd be looking at what appeared to be just another random balding white dude.

#31 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-05-08 05:24 AM | Reply

The morons are all shameless in their anti-intellectualism. It's ironic, they're just like Trumpers.

#32 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-08 04:51 PM | Reply

"Why should race not be a choice like gender?"

Who says it isn't?

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-05-08 04:55 PM | Reply

Obama is Unapologetic when it comes to Weirdos that demand he identify as multiracial.

#34 | Posted by Tor at 2021-05-08 05:09 PM | Reply

"He has literally said that if there's an APB out for him it would say he was a black man and that he owes it to black Americans to identify as a black man."

He "owes" it to black Americans?

More "White Savior" complex maybe?

#35 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-05-09 10:00 AM | Reply

Obama's 100% correct and factual.

#36 | Posted by YAV at 2021-05-09 10:48 AM | Reply

If you're accusing Obama of being white thank you for the laugh.

#37 | Posted by Tor at 2021-05-09 04:05 PM | Reply