Saturday, May 15, 2021

Rep. Liz Cheney on Friday said she regretted voting for former President Donald Trump in the 2020 election given his efforts to overturn his defeat and sow doubt in the integrity of the process.

Comments

Cheney, R-Wyo., also blasted House Republicans for elevating Rep. Elise Stefanik of New York to replace her in party leadership, calling it "dangerous" to promote yet another leader who has promoted former President Trump's falsehoods about the 2020 election.

"What does it say about the party choosing somebody to replace you, who was effectively chosen by Donald Trump and saying what he's been saying - those very lies you were talking about?" Karl asked Cheney in the interview, which will air in full on "This Week" on Sunday.

"I think it's dangerous. I think that we have to recognize how quickly things can unravel," Cheney told Karl. "We have to recognize what it means for the nation to have a former president who has not conceded and who continues to suggest that our electoral system cannot function, cannot do the will of the people."

"Frankly, it's the same kinds of things that the Chinese Communist Party says about democracy: that it's a failed system, and America is a failed nation," Cheney said of Trump's election comments promoted by many Republicans. "I won't be part of that. And I think it's very important for Republicans who won't be part of that to stand up and speak out."

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2021-05-14 08:37 PM | Reply

MC is fresh out of F's.

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2021-05-14 08:57 PM | Reply

C'mon Liz, stop hiding behind the details and get to the real point: The GOP is gutting our democratic institutions because they don't want the will of the people to be heard. We are seeing a slow burning autocratic takeover of our country that goes beyond Trump.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2021-05-15 08:47 AM | Reply

"If you look at the vote to impeach, for example, there were members who told me that they were afraid for their own security -- afraid, in some instances, for their lives," she said. "And that tells you something about where we are as a country, that members of Congress aren't able to cast votes, or feel that they can't, because of their own security."

Afraid for their lives.

#4 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2021-05-15 09:07 AM | Reply

"afraid, in some instances, for their lives"

That's called terrorism.

The GOP is a terrorist organization.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-05-15 10:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Bill Kristol and Liz Cheney can pretend they aren't OK with the direction that Trump took the Party, but we all know they actively participated in the entire process of getting us where we are now. Glad to have the Russiapublican traitors turning on each other, but it's like deciding if you want to support Hitler or Stalin...I'll pass. They're all deplorable humans and deserve total ruin.

#6 | Posted by chuffy at 2021-05-16 01:48 AM | Reply

I give Cheney credit for admitting a mistake and doing what she can to speak out about it.

Although I don't doubt her sincerity, I have to wonder what took her so long to realize something was terribly wrong with Donald Trump ~~ both politically and mentally.

#7 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-05-16 03:42 AM | Reply

"The fact that he had traitorous intentions festered up fairly early in his administration."

Red flags were flashing all over the place. Where was Liz?

#8 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-05-16 05:36 AM | Reply

Trump lost. Would she be saying these same things if he had won? America needed her long ago. Frankly, I wonder who she does support.

#9 | Posted by hughmass at 2021-05-16 06:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

HUGHMASS

I find myself trusting her mea culpa even if she is a little late to the party. I also think she's going to spend the rest of her term and beyond trying to spread the truth about Trump. Considering the cutthroat tactics of the GOP these days, I actually fear for her safety.

I don't know this woman well enough to pass judgement on her. I can only surmise that she was a good little Republican ~ like the "go along to get along" type that affected so many others in the beginning. What she knew or didn't know from the onset of Trump's plans to destroy democracy would be pure speculation. Personally, when I heard one of his biggest supporters (Rebekah Mercer) say she wanted to "destroy the establishment no matter what it cost" I knew the country was in deep trouble and that Trump was the hatchet man.

I don't think anybody truly knew what that meant at the time. It was just too inconceivable that any President of the United States would turn out to be America's worst enemy.

And yet, here we are.

#10 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-05-16 08:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Considering the cutthroat tactics of the GOP these days, I actually fear for her safety."

Yeah I'm surprised we haven't gotten any targeted assassinations yet.
All these Patriots and their guns... what are they waiting for?

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-05-16 09:18 AM | Reply

SNOOFY

"What are they waiting for?"

Having suffered the biggest failure of their pitiful lives, not to mention the FBI's manhunt, not to mention internal conflicts, I'm guessing they're jumping out of their skin every time there's a knock on the door.

I heard that some of them actually went out and got jobs.

#12 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-05-16 09:41 AM | Reply

Cheney helped spawn the likes of Trumptidumped.

#13 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-05-16 08:13 PM | Reply

MLK would be appalled to learn how pro-war the left has become.

#14 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-05-17 08:17 AM | Reply

MLK would be appalled to learn how pro-war the left has become.

#14 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

Or how great a fascist you turned out to be.

#15 | Posted by Zed at 2021-05-17 09:08 AM | Reply

"Trump lost. Would she be saying these same things if he had won? "

If Trumpy had won somehow no one would be saying bad things about trumpy. He would just disappear them into the corn field.

We were lucky.

This time.

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-05-17 10:12 AM | Reply

Anybody who believes in what MLK believed in is a fascist according to the woke. That's insane.

What a bunch of fascists.

#17 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-05-17 11:19 AM | Reply

#16 The only people being cancelled are people opposed to woke fascism. Strike a bell?

#18 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-05-17 11:20 AM | Reply

I assume the radioactive possum be white, therefore anything it says pertaining to MLK or "woke" is just possum crap.

#19 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-05-17 09:35 PM | Reply