Monday, May 17, 2021

With remote work more common now, tax apps that track your location have become relevant for professionals who want to work wherever they want to live.

Comments

There's an app for that...

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-05-17 07:27 PM | Reply

This is a HUGE issue for cities charging earnings taxes. Working from home can mean you DIDN'T earn that taxable money in their jurisdiction. Some jurisdictions are fighting back: all of them are reclaiming any/all "benefit" days, so vacations, holidays, sick pay, family leave, personal days, etc...are all deemed to be "worked" within the city limits.

St. Louis even when so far as to include a disclaimer with their return, where the taxpayer gave up rights! Something along the lines of "I realize holidays, vacation, and working from home..." are all considered working at the office site. I don't have STL clients, but if I did, I'd draw a line through that phrase while I applied for refunds: No court on earth has found jurisdiction B has claim over money earned in jurisdiction A.

#2 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-05-17 07:39 PM | Reply

@#3 ... This is a HUGE issue for cities charging earnings taxes. ...

Yup.

And I suspect for other taxpayers as well.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-05-17 10:04 PM | Reply

Elton John - Madman Across the Water (original version)
www.youtube.com

Wow. Never heard that one before.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-05-17 11:37 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by Danforth

Yes it is. I worked from home most of last year and I am fighting with the city I work in over taxes. Normally I claim about a month of days and there has been no issues. This year they sent me a nasty saying I need a letter from my employer and demanding to know where I worked on those days. Employer said simply he did not work in the city this many days. They want to know WHERE I worked, frankly none of their business.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-05-18 08:53 AM | Reply