Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Florida Rep. Val Demings is planning to run for the U.S. Senate, rather than governor, providing Democrats with a big-name candidate to take on Republican Sen. Marco Rubio next year. For months, Demings mulled which statewide office to pursue, but decided she could do the most good by taking on the two-term senator, according to several Democrats familiar with her thinking.

Comments

Demings, 64, was first elected to the House in 2016 from Orlando and held the distinction of being the city's first Black woman police chief. She rose to national prominence as the only non-lawyer on the first House impeachment committee to charge President Donald Trump with wrongdoing. As a Black woman and law enforcement officer, her background made her uniquely situated to be a national Democratic spokesperson for policing and race issues - it helped catapult her to President Joe Biden's shortlist as a possible running mate in 2020.

A top adviser to Demings compared her personal biography to Rubio this way: "She's the daughter of a maid and a janitor who became the first Black woman police chief in Orlando. He's the son of a maid and a bartender who's a career politician."

This is gonna be one hell of a heavyweight battle next year in Florida. Val is yet another example of Black Girl Magic - seeking to upend the plans of Southern white Republicans - with the hope of becoming the first Black female Senator in the South's history.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-05-18 08:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Demings was great during the impeachment. I had hoped she'd be Biden's VP pick.

#2 | Posted by qcp at 2021-05-18 09:05 AM | Reply

Beating Rubio would set her up for a Presidential run in the future. Beating Rubio would be a great public service to our nation. Rubio is a stuffed shirt who deserves defeat. He began his political career by lying about when his parents actually came to the United States and his ethics haven't improved since. This will be a nasty battle but I hope and pray Rubio loses.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2021-05-18 10:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If I lived in Florida, I'd vote for her in a heartbeat. Run, Val, run. Good luck!

#4 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-05-18 12:58 PM | Reply

I do live in Florida and she will definitely have my vote and practically every other decent person I know. Republican scum will mount a huge battle to preserve Rubio's seat but I think among most decent people he is detested as an opportunistic and dishonest politician of the worst kind.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2021-05-18 02:09 PM | Reply

No way a black woman is currently going to be elected to the US Senate from what is now Ground Zero for the most racist, ignorant political movement in the nation. There is a reason Donald Trump is on such solid ground there. They LOVE his brand of hatred, and they vote in high numbers to support it. DeSanctis and Gaetz flow from there for a reason.

#6 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-05-18 02:17 PM | Reply

While Republicans have managed to win almost every big election of note over the last decade or so, the margins have remained very competitive. And after Georgia just elected both a black preacher and a Jewish multi-time prior loser, I wouldn't be so quick to write off Val Demings next year. Stacey Abrams has created the template, and there will be a huge amount of momentum in both Florida and Georgia next year since Warnock and Demings will be on their respective ballots.

Now, overcoming the new voter restriction laws in both states? Somehow, overcoming restrictive policies is simply expected in Black communities and as we saw last year, voter education and mobilization efforts can and do work in the new South.

And lastly, while Trumpists currently control today's GOP, there is still another 25% or more who aren't down with the crazy, and Val's background as both a former police chief and believer that reforming bad policing and lowering crime rates aren't opposed to each other places her well within the tolerability limits of those Never Trumpers. And since Rubio will cling to Trump like a bad rash and everyone with at least a short memory will be reminded of how badly Trump demeaned him in 2016, showing that Rubio has neither a conscious nor a spine, Val has a great chance to win his seat imo.

#7 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-05-18 02:59 PM | Reply

I don't know, Tony.

Based on the actions of Republicans post election.

I'd say Republicans are doubling down on ensuring election victories.

I'm pretty sure 22 and 24 are going to see voter suppression at unimaginable levels.

#8 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-05-18 03:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Absolutely. But nothing they're doing is insurmountable when given enough time, money, and an energized, enraged populace to overcome them.

Take the GA runoffs. The GOPs efforts to restrict voters may end up costing them more of their own instead of the other way around. And just like 2018, Trump will not be on the ballot, just a bunch of proxies and supplicants.

I'm not saying that anything will be easy, but I do think that these conditions - and the publicity surrounding such blatant attempts to dissuade particularly Black voters - has the chance to backfire bigly on Trump and the GOP, just like 2018.

Fingers crossed.

#9 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-05-18 03:50 PM | Reply

Fingers crossed.

Indeed.

I hope people are seeing who Republicans are.

A bunch of greedy liars with no ideas other than feeding themselves and their donors.

But I'm still weary of the fact 73 million people voted for TrumpVirus.

Coupled with the fact that since the day the election officially ended, Republicans have been rewriting voting laws in every state they control.

I may be thinking a pessimistically.

But I do like the, "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best," philosophy.

And currently, I'm preparing for the GOP to blatantly steal the elections.

#10 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-05-18 04:00 PM | Reply

Fingers crossed.

I agree and home you're correct. Americans can be an ardent bunch when challenged. The best way to get an American to do something is to try and prohibit them from doing it.

My hope is that the GOP efforts to stymie our democracy will result in a more engaged populous in terms of voting.

Fingers crossed.

#11 | Posted by horstngraben at 2021-05-18 04:04 PM | Reply

Even if she doesn't win, Val is still taller than the little guy. His orange hero declared Li'l Marco the patron saint of the under-sized, and it's a good look on him...

#12 | Posted by catdog at 2021-05-18 06:27 PM | Reply

She is a superstar! Smart, articulate, great back story. She's not a hard core progressive which is just right for FL, her LE background inoculates her against the Defund the Police attacks which means she won't lose votes in the very key suburbs, yet with a police reform message she'll still be golden in the urban centers, I think she has a good chance. Gillum barely lost to Dotard ball washer Deathsantis in spite an FBI investigation swirling around him for most of the campaign. Val can paint Rubio as a political windsock with no moral compass or firmly held beliefs since one moment he was dead set against the Insurrectionist and Chief, and the next moment he's huffing Dotard's tighty whities. I think she could have beaten either Deathsantis or Lil' Marco. I'm guessing her internal polling shows Rubio to be the weaker of the two. Rubio hasn't been doing much to spark the MAGAt base, it's almost like he's been invisible since his horrible run for POTUS. Maybe he gets different coverage in FL, but from where I sit, Val has a far greater media profile than Lil' Marco.

#13 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-05-19 06:08 PM | Reply

#13 | POSTED BY _GUNSLINGER_

I'd avoid using the descriptor 'articulate' to describe a POC. 'Eloquent' would be more appropriate in the current PC culture.

Not my rules, but I do my best to follow them in the name of solidarity.

#14 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-05-19 06:13 PM | Reply

Not my rules, but I do my best to follow them in the name of solidarity.

#14 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11 AT 2021-05-19 06:13 PM | FLAG:
(CHOOSE)

I mean well-spoken, full of good, cogent answers delivered in full sentences, as opposed to inarticulate such as Combover Quisling, or dry mouth Lil' Marco. The comment about then Senator Obama being articulate was not intended to be a negative, it wasn't as if finding an articulate black man was a shock, because I can think of at least 20 off the top of my head (from politicians to TV anchors and commentators to athletes and musicians). It was intended to highlight one of President Obama's greatest strengths. If you were ticking off the positive qualities of a political candidate, especially for President, good family man, clean background, intelligent, and articulate would all have to be near the top of the list. You would like to tick off those same qualities for a white or a Latino candidate as well. The AA community can get upset, but it's just a fact. Unfortunately, Dotard can't tick off any of those qualities, thrice married philanderer, history of lawsuits and federal and state actions against him for fraud, racial discrimination, tax evasion, sexual assault, so stupid he had to ask if HPV and HIV were the same thing, and one of the most inarticulate speakers, with about a 200 word vocabulary, to ever occupy the WH. I appreciate when somebody says I'm articulate or well-spoken, to think otherwise is redonkulous!

#15 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-05-19 07:35 PM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY _GUNSLINGER_

Just a suggestion. If you're not aware of that specific microaggression, especially as it's interpreted by black women, you might want to look it up.

#16 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-05-19 07:52 PM | Reply

Even Marco Rubio has to know that Val Demings makes him look like the pathetic capon he is.

#17 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-05-20 07:12 AM | Reply