Tuesday, May 18, 2021

More stores announced this week they are easing their mask requirements, joining a growing number of top chains changing their policies in the wake of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's updated guidance on masks.

Comments

You don't tell me what to Pf-ing do.

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-05-18 11:24 PM | Reply

Just in time for Halloween. Bring the kids.

#2 | Posted by LesWit at 2021-05-19 12:41 AM | Reply

I wonder if this will create a demand for businesses that require mask wear? For those that fear COVID?

Maybe make them test before entry?

#3 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-05-19 04:49 AM | Reply

How does one tell who is vaccinated and who is not? I mean do the unvaccinated have to wear a scarlet letter or what? Just curious.

I get people are tired of masks but at this point they aren't really a big deal - you should be used to them. We need to get more people vaccinated IMHO - set a threshold for real herd immunity and keep masks until we hit it.

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-05-19 08:42 AM | Reply

Personally, I loved hearing on the news the story about the obnoxious stupid woman who refused to wear a mask on an American Airlines flight. The plane returned to the airport where she was promptly arrested.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2021-05-19 08:51 AM | Reply

The plane returned to the airport where she was promptly arrested.

A lot of people here are starting to find out that choosing to be fined instead of following the health rules is one thing, but choosing to just not pay the fine is a different thing.

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-05-19 08:58 AM | Reply

My employer continues to require a mask for all in the office, except while one is sitting at their desk. We drop the masks in mid-June, and after then only vaccinated associates can use the fitness facility. The company had on-site vaccinations, and also gave out $50 for those who got shot or who presented their vaccination cards. This week it was report almost 80% got shot here, and just under 1,000 employees. A small dose of success in a state where our moron governor touts how Okiehomians act in a 'personally responsible' manner, and 40% state-wide have been vaccinated. Not that many in the Sooner or Later State have been shot, but we're working on it...

#7 | Posted by catdog at 2021-05-19 09:49 AM | Reply

Waiting for the 4th wave now.

#8 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-05-19 10:43 AM | Reply

How does one tell who is vaccinated and who is not?

A red hat is a pretty good indicator of who is not.

#9 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-05-19 10:44 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

For those that fear COVID?

You really are a simple creature.

#10 | Posted by jpw at 2021-05-19 10:53 AM | Reply

This is stupid and a misunderstanding of what the changes were.

Only vaxxed people are allowed under these.

These stores are making it EVERYONE can.

#11 | Posted by jpw at 2021-05-19 10:54 AM | Reply

The last of my staff got their second Moderna shot. Come 1 June, I'm going to encourage, but not require, customers to wear a mask. Employees have the option to not wear one a work.

I'm not going to be "checking papers" at the door, so no verifying customer's vaccination status. With that being said, the folk who have come into my place of business sans mask are also, in my observation, the sort who are least likely to be fully vaccinated. So I'll probably continue to wear one at work.

#12 | Posted by SunTzuMeow at 2021-05-19 11:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#11, as one of those dealing with customers for my livelihood, I'm not even considering verifying vaccination status of customers, JFC, it's been tough enough getting a "certain segment" to wear masks while on the premises. Frankly, I'm tired of fighting this fight. Every damned day, I'm having to remind customers to wear a mask, and now with the revised CDC guidance the friction is only increasing.

#13 | Posted by SunTzuMeow at 2021-05-19 11:26 AM | Reply

#11 | Posted by jpw

Correct because they can't police who has been vaccinated. They don't want to try and even enforce mask ordinances because either they didn't think it was an issue, they were concerned about losing customers or they were afraid of physical assaults.

#14 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-05-19 11:31 AM | Reply

How does one tell who is vaccinated and who is not?

A red hat is a pretty good indicator of who is not.

#9 | POSTED BY NIXON AT 2021-05-19 10:44 AM | FLAG: | FUNNY: 1: Anti VAXXERS have been aaround long before COVID. Here is an excerpt from a PEW research article:

"In 2015, the Pew Research Center conducted a survey of 2 thousand adults which concluded about 12 percent of liberals and 10 percent of conservatives believed that childhood vaccines are unsafe."
www.precisionvaccinations.com

#15 | Posted by MSgt at 2021-05-19 01:43 PM | Reply

"You really are a simple creature."

What?

You don't think that opens up the possibility of business opportunities?

Are you telling me you wouldn't favor a business that required masks/testing before a customer was allowed in?

And even if you personally wouldn't....dude...look at the fear response on Drudge Retort over the last 14 months. If the people on this site are a representation of society writ large, it would seem that this type of business would at least stay afloat, if not thrive.

Last I read, and this was several months ago, the pandemic was expected to last for 4.7 more years. So you could potentially have a viable business model through some point in 2024. And since it's boutique, you can charge more.

#16 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-05-19 02:09 PM | Reply

"Frankly, I'm tired of fighting this fight. Every damned day, I'm having to remind customers to wear a mask, and now with the revised CDC guidance the friction is only increasing."

So long as you're not an 80 year old diabetic with congestive heart failure...you're probably safe to be around other humans that aren't wearing masks.

#17 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-05-19 02:11 PM | Reply

And that's the point of all this: to reasonably do what we, as a population, can due to reduce the risk of transmitting CoVid to "an 80 year old diabetic with congestive heart failure".

As for me, I'm healthy and fully vaccinated, but as I just said, I'm not the reason we're doing this.

#18 | Posted by SunTzuMeow at 2021-05-19 03:25 PM | Reply

Just STFU already you idiot.

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2021-05-19 11:47 PM | Reply

You're never going to get MB to see past the end of his own nose.

#20 | Posted by jpw at 2021-05-19 11:48 PM | Reply

"Look at how scared you've been during this whole thing. And most of the people on this site."

I admit I was scared. I thought if I was lax, I might unwittingly infect those I love with a deadly plague. Asymptomatic contagion kept me up at night.

Obviously, ignorance would've been bliss.

#21 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-05-20 01:51 AM | Reply

I distinctly remember a chat with JPW about what Texas was doing a while back when they dropped the masks. He said the infection rates were going to rise. But they didn't. Come get your plate of crow.

#22 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-05-20 06:13 PM | Reply

#22 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

No, I said I'd wait to see what would happen because I base my opinions on numbers and data.

It was to counter the people who were absolutely sure it was going to be just fine.

There's still no crow for me to eat no matter how much you want there to be.

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2021-05-20 07:13 PM | Reply