Sunday, June 06, 2021

Neil Irwin: The relationship between American businesses and their employees is undergoing a profound shift: For the first time in a generation, workers are gaining the upper hand.

Comments

Make em' pay more. Cheap bastards.

#1 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2021-06-06 12:49 PM | Reply

More from the article...

...Yet in key respects, the shift builds on changes already underway in the tight labor market preceding the pandemic, when the unemployment rate was 4 percent or lower for two straight years....

Apparently, it is not the unemployment insurance excuse that the GOP has been using to explain what has been happening in the job market.

It simply is a supply and demand issue, basic economics. The employers need the employees more than the employees need the employers.

How long could this new relationship last?

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-06 01:44 PM | Reply

Also worth discussing, is working from home a "luxury," or after the pandemic will it be considered a viable option to add to the office environment as: in-office, hybrid, full-remote?

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-06-06 02:58 PM | Reply

Good.

Having more people with more cash benefits the economy at large.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2021-06-06 03:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Republicans prefer a weaker economy because it means more suffering for the poor.

Republicans oppose a stronger economy, even though it would improve their own lives and their own communities, because it means higher taxes on the rich.

If you don't believe me, just ask any Republican. They'll explain it to you.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-06 04:01 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY GONOLES92

I already know a few people who have instructed they are to return to the office so they promptly went out and found new jobs. People made investments in upgrading their home offices or even moved to get a better work from home environment. They aren't going to give that up easily.

#6 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-06-06 06:47 PM | Reply

#3 - I worked from home long before the pandemic and before most people had even heard of doing so, at least on a corporate level.

It is no luxury. It sucks not getting out of the house for days at a time and interacting with other people. One positive aspect from working from home is that the coffee is better.

#7 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-06 07:07 PM | Reply

The upside is obvious. Employees deserve better than they get. The downside is that this will drive business to sweat shops outside of our borders resulting in higher unemployment.

#8 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-06 07:20 PM | Reply

It's about time!

#9 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-06-06 07:28 PM | Reply

Workers of the World UNITE! You have nothing to lose but your CHAINS!

#10 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-06-06 07:44 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I fired more than 1 boss/company, then I went on strike when I was eligible for SS.

I now won't work for less than $30 per hr. cash.

I think what would help is universal health car, as medical insurance is prohibitive for anything less than that.

#11 | Posted by bat4255 at 2021-06-06 07:45 PM | Reply

#10 - be careful for what you wish. Large corporate employers can take their business across the border.

#12 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-06 07:48 PM | Reply

Yeah sure whatever. All those Mexican iPhones are really a thing, aren't they?

#13 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-06-06 08:11 PM | Reply

Foxconn already has 5 Mexico factories and has been planning production there for phones since August of last year.

#14 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-06-07 07:38 AM | Reply

Anecdotally, the main jobs people are not rushing back to is the food industry. Why the hell would you for $2.13/hr?

#15 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-06-07 07:39 AM | Reply

Actually, food workers in restaurants are now demanding higher wages and getting them. The minimum wage for staff that receive tips are the only employees working for the disgusting $2.13 wages. Should have been changed years ago but Republicans have fought it every time. They want people to be poor so they will be willing to work for nothing, especially in the "right to work for nothing" states. We've endured a 40 year war on wages and guess what, the Republicans are winning.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2021-06-07 10:56 AM | Reply

I found a YouTuber name Joshua fluke who is really smart when it comes to how slimy companies are to their employees. I am in a union now and my benefits are so much better than non union.

#17 | Posted by byrdman at 2021-06-07 11:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Maybe a few are gaining leverage but for the vast majority of American workers it isn't true.

#18 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-06-07 08:12 PM | Reply

I'm seeing it across industries but it is a slow tide rather than a tidal wave so even in industries with wage growth it is not yet spread evenly. If it continues it will get to everyone. One thing I'm seeing is lots of rapid raises for new people. Maybe the job still starts at 8 or 9 but 1 and 2 dollar raises coming at 1 month instead of 25 cents at 3. Then at 3 another dollar or two.

I do wonder when companies with WFH will decide if the employee doesn't need to be in the office do they really even need to be in the country.

#19 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-06-07 09:19 PM | Reply

It's about time that the Corporate World started
to catch up to the 'World of Needs'. With prices
always going up, with inflation starting to creep
back in, people HAVE to have a certain minimum
amount of money to get by. And it is good that
more and more are choosing not to settle for
'just earning that minimum'. I've worked and left
about 6 jobs in my life (now 54), and in 5 out of those
6 jobs, they told me, "you'll never make more".

This year I should approach 125k a year, with 8 years left
to work. You are only as valuable as you feel, and
can sell (but you need skill sets to sell yourself).
But one should never sell one's self short.

#20 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-06-08 09:29 AM | Reply

Tao, you may be correct in some geographic areas....I'm thinking urban, but in rural areas where I live wages aren't budging. If anything they're offering a lower starting wage.
I've recently seen manufacturing jobs through a temp agency which is how all the employers around here operate now offering a starting wage of $7.25!!
We have a Wendy's in our town and another about 20 miles away close for 2 weeks claiming they didn't have enough workers. They would rather close than raise wages.
I've been at my job 8 years, started at $13 and now at $16...wages aren't moving in rural areas especially the South.

#21 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-06-08 10:15 AM | Reply

It looks like the concept of the cost of labor being a commodity is starting to sink in with people. People who have insisted that wasn't true.

#22 | Posted by eberly at 2021-06-08 10:44 AM | Reply

The 'Covid19 Effect' will affect employer-employee assumptions for a long time to come. As jobs go unfilled and wages are pushed upwards, can inflation be far behind?

#23 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-06-08 02:03 PM | Reply

-can inflation be far behind?

look at what's going on right now. housing, building materials, autos, etc.....it's crazy right now.

#24 | Posted by eberly at 2021-06-08 02:31 PM | Reply

#21 | Posted by ScottE

Then you should move yourself to an area not run by greedy conservatives.

#25 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-06-08 02:47 PM | Reply