Sunday, June 06, 2021

Nita Strauss, the Alice Cooper guitarist and solo artist, leapt to the defense of those labelled solely as shredders, and said that one style should not be held inferior to any other. "You know, I think this shred stigma has been around for so long and I don't understand it," Strauss said. "Yngwie Malmsteen's three notes are no more or less valid than BB King's three notes. They're just three notes played differently, at different speeds, on different guitars, in different styles. It's always baffling to me when people say, 'That person is just a shredder.' It's just a stylistic preference. I never mind it. I take it as a compliment."

Comments

I love shredding, but I couldn't disagree more.
Surprised to find this article here.

#1 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-06-07 07:35 AM | Reply

Why do you disagree, if you don't mind my asking?

#2 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-06-07 08:19 PM | Reply

I believe the emotion is lost in playing too fast. It's great for impressing folks and fun as hell to play, but continuous runs of notes just leave the listener tired.

#3 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-06-08 09:06 AM | Reply

Isn't that entirely subjective? Just like how some people think non-stop action movies are tiring to watch, but others find them invigorating?

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-06-08 09:46 AM | Reply

How about Jeff Beck's Scatterbrain? That's some serious shredding with beautiful phrasing combined.

#5 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-06-08 10:21 AM | Reply

All art is subjective.

#6 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-06-08 10:59 AM | Reply

Unfortunately, shredding is usually quantity over quality, or in sexual terms-- size versus technique. Take the 2nd solo in Comfortably Numb for example. One of the greatest solos ever written and performed, it basically is a chain of fairly common, midtempo, minor key, pentatonic blues phrases strung together. You are just not going to get the same response listening to 8 bars of sweeping arpeggios.

That is because many great guitarists master the art of playing MORE,
But the greatest and most memorable ones master the art of playing LESS.

#7 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2021-06-08 11:01 AM | Reply

"All art is subjective."

If that is true, then everything can be art. It doesn't even need an audience, just a theoretical one.
And if everything can be considered art, is there even art to begin with?

#8 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2021-06-08 11:07 AM | Reply

"Yngwie Malmsteen's three notes are no more or less valid than BB King's three notes"

Then why does Yngwie have to play his three notes 19,000 times? Was he trying to play Freebird?

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-08 11:36 AM | Reply

Ugh. I quit playing keyboards for a band over that crap song.

#10 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-06-08 12:38 PM | Reply

Like quit in the middle of the song? I'm sorry I missed it, I would have cheered for you.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-08 12:57 PM | Reply

Depends on the 3 notes. Listen, when Yngwie wants to go a little slower he is often times brilliant and showcases plenty of brilliant phrasing and feel. Just listen to Icarus Dream Suite or the interlude of overture 1383. These are drop-jaw amazing. The problem is that he kind of typecast himself as a shredder. I saw him with Joe Satriani and Steve Vai during the G3 tour nearly 20 years ago and his behavior and playing was, frankly,
a little embarrassing.

My favorite shredder is and always has been Paul Gilbert. He's a lovely guy too. Shame about his hearing loss though.

#12 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2021-06-08 02:39 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Well the middle of a set anyways. The guitar player was so loud I couldn't hear myself. Packed up and left.

#13 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-06-08 03:17 PM | Reply

...then everything can be art.
#8 | POSTED BY PUMPKINHEAD

Well, that guy did just sell an "invisible" sculpture.

My favorite shredder is and always has been Paul Gilbert.
#12 | POSTED BY PUMPKINHEAD

My guitar guy is his tech.

#14 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-06-09 05:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1