Tuesday, June 08, 2021

A new Amazon policy means that anyone who uses certain Amazon devices may see their internet bandwidth shared with others.

Comments

Sharing is for losers

- - Mamamazed

#1 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-06-08 06:38 PM | Reply

Posted by gracieamazed at 09:32 PM

Stupid and late to the ball as usual :)

Old news.

Like you grossie :)

#2 | Posted by billy_boy at 2021-06-08 09:39 PM | Reply

It's not my bandwidth that I'm concerned with. Sharing my IP address, user agent, cookie data and online banking data is the stickler.
If I Wireshark my own WAN then use an extra laptop that pretends to be a "Stranger", I might get the picture that's being taken.

#3 | Posted by LesWit at 2021-06-08 11:37 PM | Reply

Amazon didn't need a devise. They're hackable.

My profile was shared with at least 5 other accounts (all in China) who are all trying to send Rolex watches to their best friend in Portland, Oregon.

I asked Amazon to get rid of those phony accounts but they say there's nothing they can do.

I solved the problem myself but I don't buy from Amazon any more.

#4 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-06-09 01:27 AM | Reply

change your passwords frequently folks...

#5 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-06-09 07:55 AM | Reply

The most troubling part is they just turned it on - it's up to each device owner to turn it off, for each device! You can bet that turning it off is neither easy nor straightforward.

How long do you think before Sidewalk is integrated into the illegal government surveillance already in place with Ring doorbells?

I cry for my grandchildren's right to privacy - it's eroding very quickly...

#6 | Posted by Gr8Music at 2021-06-09 08:07 AM | Reply

change your passwords frequently folks...

Speaking of which, how do you change your PW on this site?

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-06-09 08:19 AM | Reply

peaking of which, how do you change your PW on this site? #7 | Posted by REDIAL

You should post it here with your Social Security number, DOB, mother's maiden name, and favorite pet.

The Retort's concierge service will take it from there.

#8 | Posted by censored at 2021-06-09 09:15 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"it's up to each device owner to turn it off, for each device! You can bet that turning it off is neither easy nor straightforward." - #6 | POSTED BY GR8MUSIC

Wrong, you turn it off one time in settings on your Alexa app through your phone and you are done. That disables it for every device on your account and it was incredibly straight forward. I am not happy they automatically opted everyone in, but I wont pretend it was hard to turn it off.

#9 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2021-06-09 11:16 AM | Reply

For the less informed posters.. The posting time/date is when RCADE moves it to the front page, not when it was originally posted grossie. Any good sock puppet would know that! :-)

#10 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2021-06-09 11:18 AM | Reply

The answer to the title question is: Yes.
Unless you navigate the 5 clicks to disable it for each Amazon connected IoT device ... or avoid Amazon IoT devices completely.

#11 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-06-09 03:24 PM | Reply

Actually GONOLES92 it is just per account, not device. If you opt out one time in your account settings and all devices are done at once. I have devices all over my home and property - listening in to my super exciting life...

#12 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2021-06-09 03:47 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY JUSTAGIRL_IDAHO

Ah cool, a little easier than I expected :). The only Amazon device I have is a kindle so didn't read too much into the coverage of this new feature other than how it sort of creates a neighborhood WiFi mesh network.

#13 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-06-09 04:20 PM | Reply

#13 - I didnt look very far into it other than to decide I want to opt out, then found that it was really easy to do so. I'd much rather decide to opt-in to things like that instead of them choosing for me, but glad it was easy to disable. My thought was it would eat in to my data usage, even by a tiny amount, and I cant have that ^_^

#14 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2021-06-09 05:59 PM | Reply

With the internet being what it is, if you have an online device in your house that is constantly "listening", you deserve it all.

#15 | Posted by fresno500 at 2021-06-10 01:22 PM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY FRESNO500 AT 2021-06-10 01:22 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

No kidding. I find comfort in that but then I haven't read all the end user agreements on the apps installed on my smartphone. I know I share way too much with the bots.

#16 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-06-10 07:15 PM | Reply