Wednesday, June 09, 2021

I understand, from what's been testified to the Forest Service and the [Bureau of Land Management], you want very much to work on the issue of climate change," Gohmert said. "I was informed by the immediate past director of NASA that they found that the moon's orbit is changing slightly and so is the Earth's orbit around the sun. We know there's been significant solar flare activities, and so, is there anything that the National Forest Service or [Bureau of Land Management] can do to change the course of the moon's orbit or the Earth's orbit around the sun? Obviously, that would have profound effects on our climate."

Comments

... is there anything that the National Forest Service or [Bureau of Land Management] can do to change the course of the moon's orbit or the Earth's orbit around the sun? Obviously, that would have profound effects on our climate." ...

My guess is that it would be a whole lot easier to just stop denying climate change, and do something about the cause of it instead of facilitating it.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-09 12:05 PM | Reply

"is there anything that the National Forest Service or [Bureau of Land Management] can do to change the course of the moon's orbit or the Earth's orbit around the sun? Obviously, that would have profound effects on our climate."

Human sacrifices, as you're used to seeing in your District.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2021-06-09 01:59 PM | Reply

That sums up Republicant thought.

#3 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-06-09 02:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I always knew gohmert was a dumbass but this proves that women should never drink or do crack while pregnant.

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2021-06-09 03:00 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#4 Nor should doctors drop newborns and try to catch them with a soccer kick.

#5 | Posted by bored at 2021-06-09 04:21 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I appreciate the implication that Earth, and its location in the universe, belongs to America.

Very Republican.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-09 04:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

If all the chubs would just stand on one side of Florida, maybe it would...

#7 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2021-06-09 04:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Just goes to show that the people who deny science don't have a clue about science.

#8 | Posted by horstngraben at 2021-06-09 04:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Please tell me this is a joke ...

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2021-06-09 05:00 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-09 05:04 PM | Reply

Just attach rockets pointing to space and fire them once a day for a few seconds after a few years we might manage to push the earth farther out.

Of course the emissions from the rocket would likely be so high as to cause even more warming needing it pushed out farther causing more warming etc.

I mean I have no idea what kind of ecological damage would be done changing the seasons like that or tidal shift unless we matched the moon to the exact new orbit or weather paterns as the velocity of the planet changed and just who knows how many other issues I'm not even thinking about. Oh and we would need to add time to the calendar, maybe a new month, we could call it Trumpvember.

#11 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-06-09 06:26 PM | Reply

Just proof positive that any moron can get a law degree, become a judge, and be elected to Congress in Texas as long as they have an "R" behind their stupid sounding name. His name is like a metaphor for moron, "What a Gohmert!" You don't even had to explain it, just the sound of the name clues people into what you mean.

"Don't cast aspersions on my asparagus." Gawd, I remember a Congressional hearing where he tried to have a battle of wits with AG Holder, and it was like Holder was Mike Tyson and Gohmert was Pee Wee Herman. I understand that Holder was getting frustrated with Gohmert's stupidity, but I wish he would have had some fun with him, logical body shot after body shot before he finished him with a factual uppercut. But I guess he thought that would be akin to making fun of the mentally challenged. I wonder how many paint chips Gohmert ate during his childhood.

#12 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-06-09 07:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#10 What's your point?

#13 | Posted by horstngraben at 2021-06-09 08:06 PM | Reply

Gohmert is a typical republican.

These people are just fuggin' stupid.

#14 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-06-09 08:33 PM | Reply

People seem to have lost the ability to tell when people are just lying.

Trickle Down Economics is no less a lie today than when Reagan said it.

Republicans can just lie, constantly, for decades, and people choose to keep trusting them.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-09 08:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Raise the sails! Lower the plank! Hang out the andirons! Fire up all the hibachis in Deaf Smith County! You're welcome!
~ Louie Gohmert (Dumbass - TX)

#16 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-06-10 08:16 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#11 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR AT 2021-06-09 06:26 PM | FLAG:

Ghomert is asking rhetorical questions because he knows they can't. It's a clumsy repackaging of the "it's the sun, stupid" argument.

It's an ironically valid question because homeostasis has become the goal (Lovelock much?) to battle climate change, which would require global ecological engineering to deal with the solar output variable.

#17 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-06-10 08:22 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Why don't they just put a huge umbrella on a rocket? Problem solved.

#18 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-06-10 09:55 AM | Reply

"#8 - redistricting mass can change the earth's rotation, but not its revolution. China's Three Gorges project actually did that. The earth's rotation slowed down due to that project. It was a very small change, but it is measurable"

#19 | Posted by danni at 2021-06-10 10:09 AM | Reply

If you want to fix global warming first end homosexuality.

#20 | Posted by danni at 2021-06-10 10:11 AM | Reply

Use a skyhook. Hook it to the moon and pull us out a little further. They keep them in supply.

So. Tell him to go get the skyhook out of supply.

That's what you tell the stupids to get rid of them for a while so the adults can work in peace.

#21 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-06-10 10:12 AM | Reply

We need to change our orbit or else we will have to stop burning fossil fuels. Can't have that, I need by big V8 engine and 500 horse power to get to work every day. I need to burn fossil fuels because Republican dogma tells me so. It has become a cult that is killing our planet.
We can't change our orbit but we can change things that are actually happening here on this planet but it will take lots of money, lots of determination and lots of honesty from our leaders. The last one will be the hardest one to accomplish.

#22 | Posted by danni at 2021-06-10 10:15 AM | Reply

#17 I think you are giving Ghomer too much credit. How does the moon's orbit affect climate change? Tides, sure.

Clumsy repackaging of its the sun argument? Dunning Kruger more likely.

#23 | Posted by bored at 2021-06-10 10:24 AM | Reply

#19 - "Link please or understand we now all think you are dumber than we did five minutes ago. And we already considered you to be your village's idiot."

Here is one of many, Danni. I'll await your apology for calling me the village idiot.

And learn some science and what conservation of momentum is. You sound like a Republican.

www.kinetica.co.uk

#24 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 11:09 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#19 - It's called science, Danni.

"When the Three Gorges Dam was built, 39 trillion kilograms of water from the Yangtze River built up behind it to 175 meters above sea level. This altered the Earth's moment of inertia changed ever so slightly, causing the rotation to move more slowly. This is the same principle behind why figure skaters tuck in their arms to spin faster.

NASA has calculated that the dam only slows the rotation by 0.06 microseconds, which is six hundredths of a millionth of a second."

#25 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 11:13 AM | Reply

Meh, Jakester you're just deflecting.

Sure, redistributing mass will change the Earth's rotation, just as melting ice at the poles has changed Earth's wobble.

This has nothing to do with the idiotic situation Gohmert implied.

Unless you're arguing that the US Forest Service could get the Chinese to build enough Three Gorges dams to stop man-made global warming (which it wouldn't anyway). That would be really dumb if that's what you're arguing, possibly dumber than Gohmert.

#26 | Posted by horstngraben at 2021-06-10 11:29 AM | Reply

This altered the Earth's moment of inertia changed ever so slightly...

Nice sentence structure for a scientific analysis.

#27 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-06-10 11:30 AM | Reply

#26 - I wasn't deflecting I was simply following up on the whimsical post #7 citing what I thought was an interesting fact what happens when a lot of mass is shifted. And it is true, as is your post #8. I hope Danni heeds it.

Jeeesus. Y'all need to lighten up. And Danni needs to issue me an apology.

#28 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 11:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Louie Gohmert got the idea after watching the intro to this movie:

www.youtube.com (starts at :20 in)

#29 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2021-06-10 11:40 AM | Reply

#27 - I noticed that, too.

For science ignorant people like Danni, the Republicans, and grammar nazis, here are hundreds of articles describing the phenomenon in better English.

bfy.tw

#30 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 11:51 AM | Reply

If Gohmert really believed in a great and OMNIPOTENT GOD he and all his fellow Texans could just use Thoughts and Prayers to move the Earth and Moon into a further orbit. With enough prayer God could stop global warming with a bit of WILL.... /much S.

#31 | Posted by randomcanyon at 2021-06-10 12:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Of course Gohmert is an idiot! Everyone knows it is NASA and not the Forest Sevice that would take care of something like this.

#32 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 12:18 PM | Reply

Republicans use alternative facts. Just ask Kelly Ann Conway. Who cares if it is all ignorant --------?

#33 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-06-10 12:40 PM | Reply

Wow crickets from Danni... she must be getting her village idiot outfit on, she won it fair and square.

#34 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-06-10 12:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This is right up there with Todd Akin's 'legitimate rape' and pregnancy statements. Don't these pols have educated staffers to brief them, and keep them informed? You can't fairly expect pols to know everything, but if I were in that position I think I'd want to educate myself as much as possible before making public statements about something of which I were completely ignorant.

#35 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2021-06-10 12:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Jeeesus. Y'all need to lighten up. And Danni needs to issue me an apology.

The Earth's spin for the last four decades appears to have increased, not decreased, and the rate of spin has only slowed in terms of geological ages.
Data:
Slowing:
hpiers.obspm.fr
Translation: phys.org
Historical evidence for slowing preceding the past four decades: www.sciencemag.org

#36 | Posted by YAV at 2021-06-10 01:01 PM | Reply

He's busting her on him posting a fact, and her calling him the village idiot as she felt it was an untrue statement. If you call someone the village idiot, when they are actually correct I don't know that expecting an apology is so out of line.

#37 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-06-10 01:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

Wow. Thanks for explaining that. I missed that!
Oh wait.
I said "over a ridiculoustly small change that is totally and completely irrelevant to Gohmert's idiocy."
I didn't miss it.

#38 | Posted by YAV at 2021-06-10 01:21 PM | Reply

Gohmert: I propose national legislation to make night longer, then I'll refuse to fund it.

#39 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2021-06-10 01:41 PM | Reply

#38 Because no one has semi tangential conversations or made conversation adjacent comments like he did. The comment was pointing out out altering the earth was absurd, though "fun fact" here was one example of man made activity altering the motion the planet. He noted it was small, and Danni demanded proof of it, and called him an idiot as there was no way it could be true. But it was, and she was wrong. You keep pointing out that it was a small change as if that has any bearing... so you joke about "getting it"... but I don't you actually get it.

#40 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-06-10 02:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#38 Because no one has semi tangential conversations or made conversation adjacent comments like he did. The comment was pointing out out altering the earth was absurd, though "fun fact" here was one example of man made activity altering the motion the planet. He noted it was small, and Danni demanded proof of it, and called him an idiot as there was no way it could be true. But it was, and she was wrong. You keep pointing out that it was a small change as if that has any bearing... so you joke about "getting it"... but I don't think you actually get it.

#41 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-06-10 02:17 PM | Reply

The problem of course is that if we change Earth's orbit, Guam will capsize.

#42 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-06-10 02:33 PM | Reply

#42 thank you... I've been trying to remember that one.

#43 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-06-10 02:40 PM | Reply

@#42 ... The problem of course is that if we change Earth's orbit, Guam will capsize. ...

Given the problem so many people seem to have with Daylight Saving Time, what might be the response when people are told that the year is no longer 365.25... days in length, that the year is now 400 days in length due to the Earth being farther from the sun.

How do you think that will go over.

#44 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 02:53 PM | Reply

#36 - "You tell others to lighten up and you're busting Danni over a ridiculously small change that is totally and completely irrelevant to Gohmert's idiocy? Seriously?"

Yep. I noted in my original post that it was very small just as you said. But she said I was wrong, which is in fact saying you are wrong as well since we said the same thing. So yeah, I am busting her chops.

#45 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 03:02 PM | Reply

#45 Well I suppose that's a fun way for you to pretend you're a liberal.

#46 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-10 03:05 PM | Reply

How do you think that will go over.

People would be too busy looking for liquid water to worry about it.

#47 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-06-10 03:25 PM | Reply

#43 - Hank Johnson.

#48 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 03:26 PM | Reply

Maybe Gohmert's satellite dish-like ears picked up an alien signal ...

#49 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-06-10 03:30 PM | Reply

#44 - by the tie that happens, the day as we know it will have to be redefined. It will either be very long or not exist at all. Tidal forces are slowing the rotation of the earth by a very small amount (I hope I can say that whithout someone lambasting me as two did first time I said it) and eventually the earth will have one side perpetually facing the sun just as one side of the moon always faces the earth.

#50 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 03:32 PM | Reply

@#50 ... eventually ...

In the scenario you describe, "eventually" is a very, very long time, if your scenario occurs at all.

If it is the tidal forces that are slowing the Earth, wouldn't the Earth sync up to the Moon's orbiting?

While the Sun does have a tidal effect upon the Earth, it is not nearly as much as the effect the Moon has.

#51 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 03:39 PM | Reply

#51 - you are correct, of course. The gravitational influence of the sun is about half of that of the moon.

However, these tidal forces also increase the mean orbital distance between the primary and the secondary. The earth's distance from the sun, just as the moon's distance from the earth is increasing. Since gravity drops off the inverse of the square of the distance of the bodies, x increase in distance will result in a much lower gravitational influence from the moon as time goes on. At some point they will be equal, but after that the moon's gravitational influence will become smaller and smaller than the sun's.

#52 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 03:53 PM | Reply

#51 - in support of your point, the center of gravity between the earth and the moon is about 1,000 miles below the earth's surface whereas the center of gravity between the earth and the sun is almost exactly the center of the earth, of course.

#53 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 03:57 PM | Reply

#53 - errata:

should read:

the center of gravity between the earth and the sun is almost exactly the center of the *sun*

But I'm sure you know that, Lamplighter.

#54 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 04:01 PM | Reply

@#54 ... But I'm sure you know that, Lamplighter. ...

I didn't know that.

If I had to guess I would have said it was quite close to the sun. But I've not been through the calculations.

@52 ... As you say, it's a very long time away. But if we are going to talk about what will happen, that is what is going to happen. ...

Then perhaps Rep Gohmert should come up with another solution, one that may start to have an effect before his grandchildren are his age... ;)

#55 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 04:10 PM | Reply

#55 - agreed

#56 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 04:12 PM | Reply

#55 - I am certain I can't even do the calculations anymore, at least not manually. It's been decades since I used calculus.

#57 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 04:13 PM | Reply

#54 If we want to make it really fun, technically everything in the solar system is orbiting the center of mass of the solar system. This barycenter is just outside the surface of the sun.

#58 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-06-10 04:44 PM | Reply

@#57 ... I am certain I can't even do the calculations anymore, at least not manually. It's been decades since I used calculus. ...

Yeah, it's been more than a couple three decades since I played with Maxwell's Equations. :)

#59 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 06:55 PM | Reply

OK, I would not think of Maxwell's Equations being used in Planetary Dynamics.
Are you sure you're not think of Kepler's laws?

#60 | Posted by YAV at 2021-06-10 11:00 PM | Reply

#61 - I'm pretty sure Lamplighter was referring to his last use of calculus and not comparing Maxwell's equations to "planetary dynamics". At least that's how I read his post in context with the previous ones.

#61 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 11:09 PM | Reply

@#60 ... OK, I would not think of Maxwell's Equations being used in Planetary Dynamics. ...

You are correct. And as the jakester alias notes in #61 I wasn't referring to planetary dynamics with that comment.

I was just referring to the last time I had subjected myself to fun of calculus (in this instance three-dimensional calculus) Oh the joy..... :)

But wow, talking about calculus on a discussion board?

Who wudda thunk????

#62 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 11:40 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Is Gohmert a Futurama fan? That's exactly how they dealt with climate change. The extra week of the year that the longer orbit caused was declared to be a worldwide party week by President Nixon's head.

#63 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-06-11 12:51 AM | Reply

I'm beginning to think that the GOP
goes out of its way to find 'intellectuals'...

#64 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-06-11 07:26 AM | Reply

Jakester's posts are so ridiculous that it frustrates him that folks like me won't even bother to respond to their stupidity. We aren't going to change the Earth's orbit and probably shouldn't even if we could. Kind of a Pandora's box idea.

#65 | Posted by danni at 2021-06-11 08:09 AM | Reply

We can't do it today Danni, but in 50-100 years, probably "Yes".
What we should do (if we ever actually invent the technology),
is carefully move Venus or Mars and try to make a 2nd habitable
planet in our solar system.

But, we will likely be headed for extinction b4 then...

#66 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-06-11 08:25 AM | Reply

Sorry Danni, you opened your mouth wide and stuck your foot in. Just own it. His comment was following the thread and you were wrong.

#67 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-06-11 08:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The idea of dedicating any resources towards the creation of a civilization on some other planet while leaving this planet is inhumane, it is disgusting, it is genocide. No, all of our resources should be dedicated to preserving the planed that billions of humans actually live on and any diversion of resources to create an alternative that only a tiny fraction of humanity could ever inhabit is obscene.

#68 | Posted by danni at 2021-06-11 09:06 AM | Reply

"What we should do (if we ever actually invent the technology),
is carefully move Venus or Mars and try to make a 2nd habitable
planet in our solar system."

Totally the comment of a lunatic. Hilarious! I'm sorry but that was the craziest, most ridiculous post ever. Yeah, we're going to move Venus or Mars......I can't stop laughing at that!

#69 | Posted by danni at 2021-06-11 09:09 AM | Reply

My favorite part is the same people that screamed for years that man can't affect climate are now defending Gohmert's idiocy in advocating we modify the planet's spin by doing a few things 'round here.

#70 | Posted by YAV at 2021-06-11 09:18 AM | Reply

No one is defending his idiocy. RIF

#71 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-06-11 09:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#65 - What is ridiculous is denigrating someone for speaking the truth, asking for a link to prove what the claim, then upon receiving it doubling down on her own stpuidity by pretending she did nothing wrong.

It is funny how you like to claim that Republicans eschew science, but when you are shown some you screech, "village idiot!"

You, like speaksoftly, make us reasonable liberals look bad. Please do not do that.

#72 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-11 09:44 AM | Reply

#66 - the idea of a second habitable planet is a good one, but creating it by moving either Venus or Mars is not a wise method of accomplishing that goal. I agree we will have that technology one day, science deniers like Danni notwithstanding. Moving a planet would perturb the orbits of the other inner planets, which is a bad idea.

A more workable solution would be terraforming either Venus or Mars.

#73 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-11 09:54 AM | Reply

#73 Coming to a solar system near us, The Expanse.

#74 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-06-11 09:59 AM | Reply

#70 - of whom do you speak? There is no mention in the article of anyone defending Gohmert, nor do I see any reader input here in his defense.

Who exactly is defending him?

#75 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-11 10:03 AM | Reply

Really Danni? A lunatic with a 133+ I.Q, that's
worked for years in the government?

Sorry hon, but you have (apparently) gone off of
the 'deep end'...which is sad, because I have found
some value in your posts b4...(It's one thing to
rail about something you believe in, it's another, to
witlessly rant without the facts)

But to your point... A). I never said to 'give up' on Earth.
B). I acknowledged man's very Real chance
of becoming extinct (personally, I give us
no more than 1 chance in 3 of solving Global
Warming/Climate Change in time to save ourselves.
C). As an earth scientist w 20+ years studying
the earth, its biomes, its viability, and
its fragile relationship w man, of course,
saving earth, should far and away become our
1st priority, but that doesn't preclude the fact
that we should look at other alternatives (should
they become available).
D). I said (move the planet gradually). Like over 50-100
years, if not longer. And also, don't doubt the
power of science to accomplish the fantastic. What
was the science fiction of my youth, is now science fact.
What was only dreamt of a few decades ago, is present day
reality.
E). I agree that terraforming Mars (if there is enough actual
water on it) or possibly one of the moons of the outer planets,
not to mention developing viable space stations should have precedence
over trying to move or shift an entire planet.
F). And lastly, you want to combat global warming, you need to discuss
population growth. For the majority of my life, I have watched both
statisticians and scientist predict the end to global population growth.
And for those same decades, I have watched mankind's population continue
to grow. The replacement value is somewhere around 2.1 children per family.
Yet about 1/3rd of the world's nations far exceed this number. Bring them
in line (through tax incentives, forgiving foreign debt, what have you) and
you will be in a much better place to tackle climate change and species
driven extinction. Population growth is the driver which exacerbates all
things climate/biome/survivability related.

#76 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-06-11 10:39 AM | Reply

Danni does go off the deep-end occasionally. We all do. She's done the same thing to me. I just moved on, or explained she had it backwards.

We also all are prone to hyperbole from time to time. This place is also great for picking up the insignificant of a post and ignoring the meat of the argument. This devolves the entire conversation into a worthless pissing contest.

And Earthmuse, I generally love your posts, but unattributed comments and then defending them by saying the person whose argument you cited is valid because he/she is smart and still not attributing it is pointless.

Slowing the rotation of the Earth alone is potentially deadly depending on how much. Moving a planet can be utterly catastrophic.

And since we're whipping out our penises, my IQ is higher than 133. Something I generally never say because to me it's a worthless ratio.

#77 | Posted by YAV at 2021-06-11 11:16 AM | Reply

Something else Danni fails to consider is that the life can be destroyed by natural means. Considering her aversion to science, this is not surprising.

There have been 5 mass extinctions on this planet, the most recent 65 million years ago. We'll probably have another natural one. Will we be ready? Not if science deniers like Danni have her way.

#78 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-11 11:22 AM | Reply

Damn!

Danni really is living rent-free in Jakester's head!

#79 | Posted by YAV at 2021-06-11 11:57 AM | Reply

#79 - Did you claim in a previous post you have an IQ higher than 133? What's your next bon mot? "Take your meds"?

#80 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-11 12:43 PM | Reply

Yav, I am not so stupid that I don't recognize by everyone's seniority here and relative lack of new blood that this is a very exclusive club. The cronyism is clearly strong. I get it that you feel the need to protect your 15 year long friends from themselves. But when you do that over facts, it makes you also look like the dullard the person you are protecting is.

Defending the indefensible is stupid, and only stupid people do it, even if there are friends involved.

#81 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-11 12:49 PM | Reply

Claim?
I just stated. I also stated it's a ridiculous measurement (though I used ratio). I place no value in it

Do you need me to reference the post number?

The issue I had with it, and why I bothered to post that is that Earthmuse, someone I agree with 99% of the time, used that logical fallacy. That was disappointing.

As to defending Danni, I just stated a reality. You nitpicked, and are correct, and Danni zealously jumped on you "village idiot." She's done the same to me as if I hadn't been posting here for years. I know her from her posting, so I figured she had me confused with someone else and blew it off.

#82 | Posted by YAV at 2021-06-11 01:17 PM | Reply

"It's indefensible, I tell you!"

Come on Jakester, tell me you can't step back and get a bit of a chuckle out of this indignation of yours?

#83 | Posted by YAV at 2021-06-11 01:18 PM | Reply

Agree Yav...IQ is generally a pointless measure...
far more important is, 'what have you done with your
intelligence and/or life'.

But then again, everyone says that they have a High I.Q.,
(sort of like the 'large penis' argument) but less than 3% actually DO.
So like Vietnam War Veterans under the age of 70,
most are actually lying (statistically speaking).

As to your other points 1). Danni I know, has a couple of
decades on me, so she likely just had a 'Senior Moment'. I
myself have felt myself slipping a bit now that I am approaching
55. 2). Never said anything about slowing the rotation of a planet.
3). sure moving a planet could be catastrophic (if one assumes that
one is moving it quickly). I have tried several times to explain
that one would have to move it very slowly (50-100 years) thus
negating any (end of the world planets smacking into each other scenarios).

#84 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-06-11 01:30 PM | Reply

I do so love you, Earthmuse.
Just so you know.

#85 | Posted by YAV at 2021-06-11 02:04 PM | Reply

#82 - "I'm just reading all this a bit amused a bit bemused at why it's still going on."

Actually I wonder what is wrong with Danni. This isn't the first time she has resorted to denigrating me for stating a proven fact. It's especially perplexing since I am a liberal, although I think I can objectively say judging by her posts, I am a more common sense liberal than she. This topic is a perfect example. Why on earth would she call me the village idiot for stating a fact?

I get it she may not be well versed in the sciences. No biggy. I don't under stand car mechanics. But common sense dictates one should not pretend to be able to speak knowledgeably on those things of which they lack insight. That's why I don't talk about car mechanics or tennis. She shows an incredible lack of common sense.

Maybe Danni can explain why she has chosen to attack me in the past for citing facts.

Danni? Do you care to enlighten us?

#86 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-11 02:09 PM | Reply

When a person calls someone an idiot for stating a fact, they get whatever is coming to them. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point Yav, if that's OK with you.

#87 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-11 02:14 PM | Reply

Dead horse.

#88 | Posted by YAV at 2021-06-11 02:48 PM | Reply

"But common sense dictates one should not pretend to be able to speak knowledgeably on those things of which they lack insight."

Meanwhile, your whole shtick here is pretending you're a liberal.

#89 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-11 03:49 PM | Reply