Thursday, June 10, 2021

A pregnant Arkansas woman's car was flipped on its top by a pursuing state trooper who accused the motorist of not pulling over fast enough, according to video of the brief chase that's being used in her lawsuit. ... The pursuit was 2 minutes and 7 seconds long when the trooper tapped the back of Harper's car in a "pursuit intervention technique," more commonly known as a "PIT maneuver," the lawsuit said.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

And cops wonder why they're mistrusted by so many people

Comments

The cop is the real victim here.
Signed,
Republicans

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-10 04:16 PM | Reply

This is insane. She did exactly what the Arkansas driver's license test guides say motorists should do when they are being pulled over and no safe shoulder is available.

reason.com

#2 | Posted by rcade at 2021-06-10 04:48 PM | Reply

@#2 ... She did exactly what the Arkansas driver's license test guides say motorists should do when they are being pulled over and no safe shoulder is available. ...

From the article cited in #2

...Arkansas cops love this insane practice they call "precision immobilization technique"--slamming into moving vehicles, sometimes over simple traffic stops....

So flipping a person's car is something the Arkansas police love to do?

Even when the person is following the guidance they needed to know to get the driver's license?

This looks so bad on so many levels.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 07:46 PM | Reply

ACAB

#4 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-06-10 08:10 PM | Reply

@#4

I disagree.

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 08:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I mean, in whose mind, except a sick, sadistic bully, is it a better, safer idea to send a car careening uncontrollably across a highway? Especially for such a minor infraction when you have no information of what's going on.

#6 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-06-10 08:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#6 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIST

Especially since every indication had been given that she acknowledged she was being pulled over and was reacting accordingly.

That he basically said " you made me do it" shows he's a real POS. Probably hits his wife and kids too.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2021-06-10 08:30 PM | Reply

@$6 ... I mean, in whose mind, except a sick, sadistic bully, is it a better, safer idea to send a car careening uncontrollably across a highway? ...

I do not disagree with that.

What I disagreed with in your #4 was the "all" part of that acronym.

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 08:55 PM | Reply

Never say never, but enough to define the culture. Might as well be all.

#9 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-06-10 09:28 PM | Reply

"What I disagreed with in your #4 was the "all" part of that acronym."

Let's say you're a cop.
Let's say you work with this guy.
If you're cool with what he did, you're a bastard too.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-10 09:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#9 ... Never say never, but enough to define the culture. Might as well be all. ...

Well, I've seen a lot of reporting on local news where police officers are doing what I would expect them to do, i.e., "protect and serve," and even go beyond that to truly heroic acts.

I've posted some of those instances here on this august site.

Having said that, if you've read my prior comments here, you would remember that I have a strong concern about the so-called "blue wall of silence" (that seems to fit in with your "Might as well be all" comment). The ole "one bad apple spoils the whole barrel" adage comes to mind.

My point in #5 was that while I do think there are many bad actors in our police force (far too many), I also think there are also good actors.

My view is that three significant things need to occur as a start:

1. - break down the infamous Blue Wall of Silence (not an insignificant task because it is so ingrained)
  2. - promote the officers who truly Protect and Serve instead of occupy and kill.
  3. - deal with the qualified immunity in such a way that it no longer protects the bad actors.

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 09:50 PM | Reply

@#10

I didn't see your post until after i posted my #11.

But I do agree with your #10, and i think i said as much in my #11.

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 09:52 PM | Reply

#12 They have a good PR team. But I'm not denying some cops are good.

As the joke goes, it's 90% of lawyers who give the rest a bad name.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-10 10:10 PM | Reply

Related...

Andrew Brown Jr. died of gunshot wound to back of head, state autopsy confirms
www.axios.com

...A state autopsy released on Thursday found that Andrew Brown Jr., a Black man shot by North Carolina sheriff's deputies in April, died of a gunshot to the back of his head, confirming the conclusion of an independent autopsy commissioned by the family, CNN reports.

Why it matters: The report, which lists "homicide" as the cause of death, comes less than a month after a North Carolina prosecutor concluded that the shooting was "justified." ...

"The autopsy results prove what we've always known to be true: Pasquotank County deputies executed Andrew Brown Jr. with a kill shot to the back of the head," attorneys for the Brown family said in a statement.

"The false narrative that [District Attorney Andrew Womble] has attempted to weave is completely discredited by this autopsy report."...

#14 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 10:14 PM | Reply

@#13 ... 90% ...

I'm not going to quibble over percentages on this one, aside from saying the percentages are too high.

#15 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 10:17 PM | Reply

@#14 ... "The false narrative that [District Attorney Andrew Womble] has attempted to weave is completely discredited by this autopsy report." ...

This adds a troubling aspect to this topic...

The prosecutors are in on it?

#16 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 10:20 PM | Reply

This happened last July. The cop has been at work ever since. The police video was finally released as part of a civil lawsuit.

#17 | Posted by prius04 at 2021-06-10 11:24 PM | Reply

I would first emphasize 3, qualified immunity. I think reform of that jurisprudential doctrine could significantly reduce the "blue line" problem.

BTW, in case you are not aware, Reason has a wealth of information on the subject. reason.com

#18 | Posted by et_al at 2021-06-11 01:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I know nothing more about this than what you quoted. However, "a kill shot to the back of the head" does not exclude a "justified" use of deadly force.

#19 | Posted by et_al at 2021-06-11 01:51 AM | Reply

"The prosecutors are in on it?"

Ummm... Yeah.
The police and the prosecutors work for the same side, in our criminal justice system.
Why do you think the Grand Jury so often fails to return an indictment?

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-11 01:52 AM | Reply

Back the blue - with your new back brace.

#21 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2021-06-11 08:25 AM | Reply

"The prosecutors are in on it?"

Always have been.

#22 | Posted by qcp at 2021-06-11 08:56 AM | Reply

It's worth mentioning that the cop that did this chose to do so a mere 2 minutes into the pursuit.

#23 | Posted by qcp at 2021-06-11 08:58 AM | Reply

I have no idea what that department's policy is, but my former department's policy would not have allowed this action for a simple traffic offense. It was a speeding violation for 84 in a 70 zone. The license plate is clearly visible. A citation for the speeding and failure to yield can be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle in most states. 2 minutes is actually quite a bit of time. There wasn't a lot of other traffic on the roadway. If there was a need to force a stop, another unit could have responded from further ahead and put down a spike strip, much safer. And he didn't even PIT her correctly, he hit her too far back and hooked the bumper, looks like that's what tipped the center of gravity. Those PIT maneuvers are ridiculously dangerous for all involved, including the officer, and should only be used as a last resort for a felony stop.

#24 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2021-06-11 09:18 AM | Reply

Assault with a deadly weapon.

#25 | Posted by bored at 2021-06-11 10:27 AM | Reply

Even that would have been ridiculous.

Drivers are allowed by law to pull over at a safe place. I'm not aware of any time requirements on doing so.

Absent an indications of an attempt to evade or escape this was entirely unnecessary. Any means of a forceful stop was unnecessary absent an escalation on the part of the driver.

#26 | Posted by jpw at 2021-06-11 11:33 AM | Reply

#26 | POSTED BY JPW

Agreed, I was just pointing out there were many other available options. This strikes me as a Tackleberry type looking for a reason to try a PIT, not looking for the best solution to the situation.

#27 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2021-06-11 11:39 AM | Reply