Thursday, June 10, 2021

The North Carolina General Assembly on Tuesday finalized another bill seeking to expand gun rights " this time in churches " and will send it to Gov. Roy Cooper, who vetoed a bill containing the same idea a year ago. The Senate agreed 30-19 to House changes to Republican legislation that would allow members or visitors at churches that meet on private school campuses to carry a handgun if they have a concealed weapons permit.

Comments

Which of the Governor's reasons for vetoing it do you find stupid?

(jus' askin')

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 06:56 PM | Reply

Guns in church seems so sacreligious. Goes against the beattitude.

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2021-06-10 07:27 PM | Reply

Goes against the beattitude.

Yeah, but you never know when some confederate flag waving nut job like Dylan Roof might show up.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-06-10 07:38 PM | Reply

Why can't that extremely narrow group of organizations govern that for themselves, boaz?

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2021-06-10 07:49 PM | Reply

I don't see why Boaz doesn't love this. It isn't a democracy, so the minority party gets to call the shots. Can't have mob rule.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-06-10 08:01 PM | Reply

I thought churches were free from government interference. In other words, I did not know laws could be made to prohibit guns within them. I find this case interesting.

#6 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-10 08:10 PM | Reply

@#5 ... I don't see why Boaz doesn't love this. ...

Based upon the lack of comments from the boaz alias so far, I think it is just trolling here.

I'd rather the alias show me to be wrong, though.

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 10:27 PM | Reply

I think the more guns in Churches, the better. Guns are more likely to kill their owners or family members. I would like to see mandatory gun possession in Churches.

#8 | Posted by bored at 2021-06-10 11:35 PM | Reply

@#6 ... Guns are more likely to kill ...

If you look at gun deaths per capita instead of gun deaths per state or per area, some interesting aspects arise.

Humble Pie - 79th And Sunset
www.youtube.com

...
There'll be some dramas inside your pajamas tonight
...

"There's such a lot of good ways to be bad...."

They don't write lyrics like that anymore...

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-10 11:51 PM | Reply

North Carolina is jealous that Dylan Roof decided to exercise his Second Amendment rights in a South Carolina church.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-11 02:05 AM | Reply

#6 This is about allowing guns on private school grounds that let congregations use their facilities, not in stand alone churches.

#11 | Posted by qcp at 2021-06-11 09:03 AM | Reply

Why the ---- should the government be regulating gun policy for a private entity? That private entity should decide if they will let people enter with guns.

It's not different than me deciding if I will let someone bring a gun into my home.

#12 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2021-06-12 07:55 AM | Reply

What kind of idiocy is this?! You can't carry in my house without my permission. I'll kick you off my property. If your pastor says no guns in his church, no guns in his church. As I understand it, even a business can do that to a CC holder - I can tell you to leave without any reason at all.

#13 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-06-12 08:34 AM | Reply

Because these are school grounds and guns aren't allowed on school grounds public or private. So even though schools aren't in session guns are banned when churches are.

I'm not really clear on what would happen if this law passes but the school still says no guns on our grounds. Would the private property owner win or would the law allow the church to override the will of the owner. If that happens could the owner stop renting to the church or would that be religious discrimination?

#14 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-06-12 09:19 AM | Reply

#14 Private property rights are so fundamental they aren't even in the Constitution. Like the right a right to breathe, for instance. Nobody told Luther he could fart, okay? I'm pretty sure that trumps everything.

#15 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-06-12 09:26 AM | Reply

"Why the ---- should the government be regulating gun policy for a private entity?"

Because the GOP is a Death Cult.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-12 11:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It would be so much easier if these clowns could just leave their gun in the car for an hour. How scared are they, anyway?

#17 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-06-12 12:08 PM | Reply

Guns are their pseudo penis. How else are they going to flex in church.
Church is boring unless your can fantasize about killing someone.

#18 | Posted by bored at 2021-06-12 03:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Didja notice Boaz is AWOL from his own troll thread?

#19 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2021-06-12 09:48 PM | Reply

Didja notice Boaz is AWOL from his own troll thread?

He has a right to remain silent. He's big on rights.

#20 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-06-12 09:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 1