Thursday, June 24, 2021

As has happened so often recently, a Congressional hearing on the military veered off-topic and into discussions, accusations, and debates over "wokeness" and the teaching of critical race theory in the military.

Comments

Now this is the sort of officer I remember working with in the Army. Never one to shy away from knowledge. Unlike some supposed retired Army officers who frequent this site.

#1 | Posted by SunTzuMeow at 2021-06-24 11:07 AM | Reply

More from the cited article...

... In fact, Milley had quite a lot to say:

"First of all, on the issue of critical race theory, etc., I will obviously have to get much smarter on whatever the theory is, but I do think it is important, actually, for those of us in uniform to be open-minded and be widely read. And the United States Military Academy is a university and it is important that we train and that we understand " and I want to understand white rage, and I'm white, and I want to understand it."

"What is it that that caused thousands of people to assault this building and try to overturn the Constitution of the United States of America," said Milley, referring to the Jan. 6 riots at the U.S. Capitol. "What caused that? I want to find that out. I want to maintain an open mind here and I do want to analyze it. It's important that we understand that because our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, and guardians, they come from the American people. So it is important that the leaders, now and in the future, do understand it."

"I've read Mao Zedong, I've read Karl Marx, I've read Lenin, that doesn't make me a communist. So what is wrong with understanding " having some situational understanding about the country that we are here to defend? And I personally find it offensive that we are finding the United States military, our general officers, our commissioned and noncommissioned officers of being woke' or something else because we're studying some theories that are out there." ...

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-24 11:12 AM | Reply

Nuh-uh!- Major B

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2021-06-24 11:21 AM | Reply

We are ALL tired of the ignorant ------- from people who don't like to read.

Thanks for saying what we avid readers have all been thinking.

#4 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-06-24 11:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Gen. Mark Milley, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff"

Has totally earned my respect! He was respectful even as he made fools of the Republican White Nationalists. He will be hated by them now, possibly targeted by them, I don't think he is afraid of those cowards.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2021-06-24 11:41 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#5 Dumbass Laura Ingraham wants to defund the military now after the beating he gave Pedo Gaetz yesterday.

#6 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-06-24 11:45 AM | Reply

Laura Ingram wants to defund the Military now. LOL

#7 | Posted by bored at 2021-06-24 11:45 AM | Reply

I head a few days ago a political analyst predict that this was when the GQP would jump the shark. He said they were currently attacking the FBI and the military would be next. It was when McCarthy attacked the military that he got shut down. Americans in general are very defensive of the military, and this will drive away some of the non-brain-damaged Republicans left in the party. They probably won't vote for Dems, but they will withdraw from politics.

#8 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-06-24 12:00 PM | Reply

How do any Republicans still vote for candidates from that party after the Iraq invasion? I honestly just don't understand how they justify their votes since then.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2021-06-24 12:35 PM | Reply

@#9 ... I honestly just don't understand how they justify their votes since then. ...

One reason I see, they hate their fellow Americans who are Democrats.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-24 12:49 PM | Reply

The only thing Matt Gaetz reads is SeekingArrangement profiles.

#11 | Posted by Sycophant at 2021-06-24 04:40 PM | Reply

I would have to move that bar to 2010 and Mitch's statement about stopping anything Obama was for (paraphrased of course). Iraq - Dems voted enmass for that. I can see that the lies put forth by the President don't reflect on the party as a whole. Even the collapse of 2008 that could have been headed off wasn't necessarily enough.

#12 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-06-24 05:48 PM | Reply

"Why in this instance did he not use the source material??

Well, in places, both Marx and Lenin are nuanced. White Supremacy, OTOH can easily be summed up in on the back of a cocktail napkin.

#14 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-06-24 09:44 PM | Reply

Or you can just read the parts of the Constitution that talk about white supremacy.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-24 09:46 PM | Reply

All the military has to do is look at their racial policies policies prior to Truman and they'll figure out a lot about white supremacy.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-24 09:50 PM | Reply

#13 - you don't realize that the conflict in your logic is only resolved by recognizing your premise is what's faulty.

As he explicitly stated that CRT is a tool he (and leadership) would use to understand White hate and anger, and what led to the January 6th insurrection.

You and Carlson's attempt at making a false equivalence is the root of the conundrum in your questions in #13.

#17 | Posted by YAV at 2021-06-24 09:57 PM | Reply

#13 CRT isn't a critique of white supremacy, it is about white supremacy coded in laws, like the founding fathers constitution.

The general didn't say all he read. I expect he has read plenty about Nazis.

#18 | Posted by bored at 2021-06-24 11:13 PM | Reply

Tucker Carlson brought up a good counterpoint.

#13 | POSTED BY FINANCE_PRO

Lol! That's hilarious!

#20 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-06-25 12:32 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 3

ANTIFA are nazis?

You're a fruit loop, finance_pro.

#21 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-06-25 12:35 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

Anti-Fascists, known for their organizational and discipline, made the trains run on time in Germany.
FACT! /s

#22 | Posted by YAV at 2021-06-25 08:18 AM | Reply

"So, why didn't he read the white supremist source material to understand white supremacy? "

You seem to be an expert on white supremacy.

What do you recommend he read?

#23 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-06-25 09:59 AM | Reply

No, he didn't say anything about today's ANTIFA.

#19 | POSTED BY FINANCE_PRO

Why should he? They are not a danger to our democracy.

#24 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-06-25 10:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

No, he didn't say anything about today's ANTIFA.

#19 | POSTED BY FINANCE_PRO

Did you REALLY expect him to express every minor thing in that statement? I'm sure he's tired of stupid as well as lazy (intellectually and otherwise) TL:DR types.

He brought up the history of the treatment of Blacks in this country alluding to the rise of BLM and a good reason to actually study critical race theory. As a counter point He brought up "White Anger" - aka to the rest of us as White Supremacy, but he is onto something and I think white anger fits better for most. He didn't mention, Hispanics, Asians, Muslims, etc either. Because it doesn't actually add anything to his statement and point. Not to mention "Antifa" are not identified as a threat of any significance. Probably because they are right wing boogiemen, I probably shouldn't use that term as it may have become a White Supremacist sign of power or somethings...

#25 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-06-25 01:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1