Tuesday, June 29, 2021

A fireworks shortage has left many customers scrambling ahead of the Fourth of July.

Comments

More from the article...

...While demand for fireworks is high this year, importing the product from China has become increasingly difficult for suppliers. Weimer told Insider that Phantom Fireworks has faced months of delays.

The global shipping container shortage has made it more expensive to transport products from China, especially for items like fireworks, which are classified as dangerous goods and given less allotted space on freighters....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-06-28 02:09 PM | Reply

Fireworks are for children and fools.

#2 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-06-28 03:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'll let you know if this limits the explosive firepower of the East L.A. homies. I doubt it. Last year was CR-A-ZY.

#3 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-06-28 05:00 PM | Reply

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I abhor fireworks.

#4 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2021-06-28 05:02 PM | Reply

Two of my three dogs give '4 Paws Up!" because they are terrified of fireworks.

I put cotton balls in their ears. Also use Thundershirts on nights there are fireworks going off. The cotton balls help cut the sound down, and seems to help. I also stay up with them until the wee hours of the morning. Poor guys. The big guy is a HUGE foodie, but he won't even touch steak when bangs and pops are about.

BTW, more dogs go missing on July 4th than any other day of the year.

#5 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-06-28 05:10 PM | Reply

In Seattle they'd bring in the Blue Angels every year, in case the dogs didn't get terrified enough on the 4th of July.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-06-28 06:36 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by snoofy

I was driving home on the freeway a couple of years ago when a military jet flew in front of me at no more than 30'. Thinking I was about to witness a crash of a military jet I hit the brakes. Turned out to be the Blue Angels doing an air show. Got off at the next exit, parked along the road, and enjoyed the rest of the show.

#7 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-06-28 09:24 PM | Reply

I am just sorry, I know people who are crazy about fire works but I do think the word "crazy" is the correct descriptive adjective for them. I was at a 4th of July party a few years ago and the host was a major fireworks jerk, he almost burned down his neighbors house with them. Then he couldn't really understand what they were so mad about.
I was only there because he was in inlaw and I was sort of compelled to be there. On 4th of July now, I stay in my house and avoid contact with "patriotic" jerks like that. That sort of patriotism isn't patriotism, it's jerks trying to prove their masculinity but only stupid folks believe it proves anything except that they are jerks.
Need I mention that the same jerks also drive big huge 4 x 4 trucks with huge wheels and pump out unnecessary clouds of diesel smoke whenever they encounter someone who doesn't also support Trump?

#8 | Posted by danni at 2021-06-29 07:49 AM | Reply

Want to be a Patriot? Think of all the vets with PTSD and what fireworks do to so many of them and just don't shoot them off. Leave the fireworks to the experts doing the big shows or for all I care don't have shows at all.

BTW A good friend has been doing shows for 20 years. BIG shows. He got out 2 years ago now because he was wasting all his vacation time setting up the big 4th of July shoots in Michigan. He has still been convinced to choreograph one or two a year but shoot them?

#9 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-06-29 08:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Skyrocketing" or "Soaring" would have made a better headline.

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-06-29 08:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Can't say as I am crazy about fireworks, as every year, without
pause, my neighbors make that night's sleep a living hell as they
fire off their 'works' (mortars) until about 1-2 a.m. in the morning,
regardless of whether I have to work or not the next day...

Thankfully, I'm a Fed, and the 4th is on a Sunday, so that means
Monday morning off with sleep and pay...

Agree w towards the top... fireworks are for children and mouth breathing
'patriot' rethugs... It is fine if you have a civilized celebration,
until about 10-11 p.m., but this 2 a.m. ----- is for the fecking birds!

And remember, every dollar you spend on fireworks, is a dollar you are
almost certainly (since about 99% of them are made there) handing to China
to build more weapons to use against us...

#11 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-06-29 11:08 AM | Reply

If you're spending the 4th in the Western U.S., we ask kindly that you refrain from using fireworks this year. The mega-drought has rendered practically everything west of the Continental Divide a tinder box. Donate to your local animal shelter or PTSD treatment center instead.

#12 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-06-29 12:43 PM | Reply

I'll wager South Dakota Governor Kristi "I'm hotter than that Sarah girl..." Noem will still have her fireworks display at Mt. Rushmore, in the form of a dozen bottle rockets shot from a soda pop bottle in the parking lot...

#13 | Posted by catdog at 2021-06-29 06:27 PM | Reply

#11 - fireworks are a tiny minute fraction of our trade imbalance with China. If buying fireworks helps them buy weapons, oh well. I'll take responsibility for that .45 round the US bought for them.

#14 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-29 08:16 PM | Reply

#2 - you've obviously never seen a good fireworks show. Most cities have good ones on Independence day. Check one out.

#15 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-29 08:17 PM | Reply

#16 - do they last a year? I don't know. Maybe the high price is to make up for the ones they didn't sell last year.

#17 | Posted by jakester at 2021-06-29 09:35 PM | Reply

I lived a couple blocks from the Mill Avenue Bridge and also the Sun Devil stadium in Tempe Arizona for more than 10 years. For all that time the NFL Cardinals played that open stadium too.

I've seen and felt the concussion of enough fire works to last me all my life.

#18 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-06-29 09:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I know what you mean, bruce. I had season tickets there.

#19 | Posted by willowby at 2021-06-29 10:07 PM | Reply

As a military veteran I am going to suggest that all of those who wet there pants over fireworks should just join one of the 4 branches and deploy overseas to a combat zone if you want to smell "gun powder". You'll have all the fireworks you'd ever dreamed of if you can bare it. Trust me America always has a conflict or war too good to pass up.

For the others like me we got a very hefty share and don't really care to be entertained with that garbage no less pay for it.

#21 | Posted by jvel777 at 2021-06-30 02:32 AM | Reply

Many years ago when I was very young and at a party on New Years Eve. Someone handed me a little fire cracker which I lit and which exploded in my hand. Didn't do any serious damage but it did convince me to never touch another fire cracker. I like the big fireworks shows created by professionals, they are great to watch but I think the idiots who spend hundreds of dollars to buy fireworks for personal use are just crazy fools. I have attended 4th of July parties where idiotic fools did set off lots of fireworks they purchased, on year they almost burned down a neighbor's house. Sorry but my estimation of their IQ was not increased by their idiotic need to use fireworks. It made them look insane. I have avoided those people for the last 20 years at least even when it meant I couldn't spend 4th of July with my grandkids.

#22 | Posted by danni at 2021-06-30 08:07 AM | Reply

And remember, every dollar you spend on fireworks, is a dollar you are
almost certainly (since about 99% of them are made there) handing to China
to build more weapons to use against us...

#11 | POSTED BY EARTHMUSE AT 2021-06-29 11:08 AM | FLAG:

Good thing I horde chemicals and can make my own.

#23 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-06-30 11:40 AM | Reply