Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Every employee at a Burger King franchise quit simultaneously as result of there being no air conditioning in the restaurant and the heat being enough to hospitalize a co-worker.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

No one will replace them.

Comments

I guess they had it their way.

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-07-12 10:19 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

See? No wonder why machines are replacing them.

- Corporate Apologists.

#2 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-07-13 08:37 AM | Reply

Did they all get biggie fries on the way out the door?

#3 | Posted by catdog at 2021-07-13 01:01 PM | Reply

Good for them. There are tons of jobs available right now no one should have to work for starvation wages in a literal sweatshop.

BK should revoke that owner's franchise but I doubt they will.

#4 | Posted by qcp at 2021-07-13 01:21 PM | Reply

Flame broiled employees.

#5 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-13 01:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"How will I feed my family now?!?"

#6 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2021-07-13 06:05 PM | Reply

Although no AC at work isn't enough reason to file a complaint, there are some loose rules that a business is supposed to follow. The General Duty Clause section 5(a)(1) of the Occupational Safety and Health Act stipulates that a business has the obligation to provide a workplace that "is free from recognizable hazards that are causing or likely to cause death or serious harm to employees." Most people would agree that creating a work environment where employees suffer from frostbite or heat stroke would fly in the face of that regulation.

You do not have to endure an unsafe office environment. If the office is so cold you can see your breath and there's no reason for it other than a lack of heat, that could be considered a violation. On the other hand, if your office is so hot people are getting ill, fainting or suffering other health issues, that situation could warrant a report as well. If at all possible, try to resolve the issue with management.

smallbusiness.chron.com

If a co-worker had to be hospitalized due to heat and management knew it they could be hit with a fine. Additionally that worker would be eligible for workers comp. I also suspect that if any of these employees have been there long enough to earn UI quitting would not stop them in this case. AKA the franchise owner will now have a high UI rate, an increase in workers comp costs and probably a drop in business due to having to train all new staff plus people will likely boycott it. Check back in a year to see if they are still in business I'm betting no or if so under new management.

#7 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-07-13 06:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Although no AC at work isn't enough reason to file a complaint"

In college I had a C-store job at night. The owner would tell us the thermostat doesn't go below 82 in the summer and above 62 in the winter. I stopped in to pick up my paycheck one day and glanced at the thermostat, it was winter and he had it at 75. He explained it as "I am the owner, I can do what I want." What a total dick he was. He would put it to what he wanted before he left. I would put it back to what he had it at.

#8 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-07-14 08:12 AM | Reply

A long time ago, in another life, I was the house electrician for a large resort hotel. Wedding receptions were a major money-maker for the business. My usual practice was to set the a/c as low as possible before the event, and then as the room filled, the temperature of the room would gradually increase. The guests would complain about the heat and the banquet manager would call me to fix it. I solved the problem by installing a dummy thermostat in the ballroom. I put a screen over it that was secured by special screws. When the manager complained, I would make a great show of lowering the control on the dummy thermostat, removing anmd replacing the screen. I never shared the secret, except with the chief of maintenance. who hated the banquet manager. Good times!

#9 | Posted by john47 at 2021-07-14 11:25 AM | Reply

No AC? What did people do for the last 10,000 years or so?
#spoilt brats

#10 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-07-14 03:04 PM | Reply

"What did people do for the last 10,000 years or so? "

OMFG

THEY DIED.

You know. Like they did in Texas 10 days or so ago.

Idiot.

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-07-14 05:11 PM | Reply

No strunzo.. They opened the gd windows.

#12 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-07-14 05:35 PM | Reply

#12 Since windows first known use was 13th century BC I don't think they opened the windows 10,000 years ago.

Additional windows are something Burger Kings don't have many of.

They also have to deal with, the hot stove, fryer, heat given off by refrigerators etc. All stuff they had to deal with 10,000 years ago right?

#13 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-07-14 06:29 PM | Reply

In years past, food was cooked over an open fire. Year round.

#14 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-07-15 08:50 AM | Reply

No strunzo.. They opened the gd windows.

#12 | POSTED BY PHESTEROBOYLE

And then they died? Like they did in Texas. Opening a window to stop heat wave. Brilliant!

Real stable genius this one.

#15 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-07-15 12:43 PM | Reply

Open fire outdoors vs an enclosed space with multiple heat sources, sure sounds like the same thing to me.

Donners not wrong either what was life expectancy back then? 30? Sure let's go back to when men were men, women died in childbirth and most kids didn't make it to double digits. Who would have thought a trumper would be for negative population growth.

#16 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-07-15 09:39 PM | Reply