Tuesday, July 13, 2021

The first evidence of empathy-driven helping behavior in rodents has been observed in laboratory rats that repeatedly free companions from a restraint, according to a new study by University of Chicago neuroscientists. The observation, published today in Science, places the origin of pro-social helping behavior earlier in the evolutionary tree than previously thought.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The experiments, designed by psychology graduate student and first author Inbal Ben-Ami Bartal with co-authors Decety and Peggy Mason, placed two rats that normally share a cage into a special test arena. One rat was held in a restrainer device -- a closed tube with a door that can be nudged open from the outside. The second rat roamed free in the cage around the restrainer, able to see and hear the trapped cagemate but not required to take action.

Comments

The rats out-performed Republicans.

#1 | Posted by Jaspar at 2021-07-13 06:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Crap. I guess we can't call Republicans rats anymore.

#2 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2021-07-13 06:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

All lies, spread by my detractors. It's your own cage.

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-07-13 08:09 PM | Reply

I always took you as more of a gerbil.

#4 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-07-13 08:22 PM | Reply

This doesn't surprise me.

Rats are incredible animals.

#5 | Posted by jpw at 2021-07-13 08:25 PM | Reply

It may go back further than that:

True story.

I swatted a group of flies on my kitchen counter one day. They all escaped unharmed except one, who suffered what appeared to be a broken wing. I watched in amazement as one fly returned and spent a great deal of time, at the risk of his own life, using his antennas to offer comfort and encouragement to the inured fly.

I never knew they had that in them.

The guilt I felt for my wanton actions that day still plagues me.

#6 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-07-14 06:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I wondered who that was.
~ Jeff Goldblum

#7 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-07-14 06:58 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

ergo, Rats > GQP

#8 | Posted by e1g1 at 2021-07-14 01:51 PM | Reply

Member when people flipped out over a political commercial that focused on the word "rats" within the word "democrats"? Good thing the other side would never do that...

"The rats out-performed Republicans."
#1 | POSTED BY JASPAR

"Crap. I guess we can't call Republicans rats anymore."
#2 | POSTED BY PUMPKINHEAD

Oh drats.

#9 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-07-14 11:38 PM | Reply

The Secret of NIMH was a great movie.

(Although I'm guessing parts of it would be too problematic for today's audiences.)

#10 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-07-14 11:39 PM | Reply

The guilt I felt for my wanton actions that day still plagues me.

#6 | Posted by Twinpac

That's because you have a good heart :-)

#11 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-15 12:18 AM | Reply

Any mammal can show empathy.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-15 01:00 AM | Reply