Thursday, July 15, 2021

General Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, likened Donald Trump's effort to hold on to power after the 2020 election to Adolf Hitler, saying the president was preaching "the gospel of the Fuhrer" with his lies about the election being stolen, according to a new book by two Washington Post reporters.

Comments

'They're not going to f**king succeed': Top generals feared Trump would attempt a coup after election, according to new book

The book, from Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post reporters Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker, describes how Milley and the other Joint Chiefs discussed a plan to resign, one-by-one, rather than carry out orders from Trump that they considered to be illegal, dangerous or ill-advised.

"It was a kind of Saturday Night Massacre in reverse," Leonnig and Rucker write.

www.cnn.com

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-14 08:52 PM | Reply

I thought this was actually going to be about a 'Gospel of the Fuhrer'. Color me disappointed.

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-07-14 09:54 PM | Reply

Sorry, Milley fearing a "Reichstag moment" wasn't enough for you:

Still, Milley was disturbed by the sight of Trump supporters rallying to his cause in November, calling them "Brownshirts in the streets." Leonnig and Rucker wrote that Milley "believed Trump was stoking unrest, possibly in hopes of an excuse to invoke the Insurrection Act and call out the military." The general likened the U.S. to Germany's fragile Weimar Republic in the early 1930s. "This is a Reichstag moment," he said, referring to the arson attack on Germany's Parliament that Hitler used as a pretext to assume absolute power and destroy democracy.

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-14 10:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I thought this was actually going to be about a 'Gospel of the Fuhrer'.

#2 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT AT

It's a thread about fascists and so of course you show up to defend them.

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2021-07-14 10:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Alternate title:

Gen. Milley vanillied Trump's Post-Election Government Takeover

#5 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-07-15 12:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

@#1 ... Top generals feared Trump would attempt a coup after election ...

Michael Cohen, testifying under oath before Congress, February 2019

..."Indeed, given my experience working for Mr. Trump, I fear that if he loses the election in 2020 that there will never be a peaceful transition of power, and this is why I agreed to appear before you today." ...

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-15 11:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat

How come nazis love the same politician that you do? What is the appeal for them, and for you?

#7 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-15 12:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Michael Cohen knew what Fat Nixon would do. Almost everyone did. Some had the courage to speak out and warn. Others coward in fear of the bloated sack of triglycerides.

Fat Nixon will never admit defeat so long as he can continue to get the stupidest of his supporters to send him money.

The best thing that could happen to America is he becomes incapable of running for office.

His personality and mental health make him a danger to all Americans.

#8 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-07-15 12:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-15 12:48 PM | Reply | Flag

They won't admit it, but they love the cruelty that he espouses and inflicts on people they believe don't deserve the same rights as them. They worship a bully because they themselves are bullies. They are a sad lot.

#9 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-07-15 12:53 PM | Reply

"Trump was stoking unrest, possibly in hopes of an excuse to invoke the Insurrection Act and call out the military."

And when Congress couldn't certify the election, due to the Jan 6 insurrection, he almost got his wish.

Republican Useful Idiots pretend it was never part of the script.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-15 12:53 PM | Reply

They worship a bully because they themselves are bullies. They are a sad lot.

Some are bullies.

Some wish they were Alpha enough to be bullies so they could get payback on the immigrants and blacks that took the jobs they never even tried to get but felt they deserved just for being Americans.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-15 12:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat

I colored you well, Red Comrade. But, not well Read.

Apparently. Because it WAS about the gospel of the Furhur.

A gospel of fascism that Dear Leader Trumpy foolishly tried to follow.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-07-15 01:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I don't doubt it for a second.

#13 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-07-15 01:48 PM | Reply

His personality and mental health make him a danger to all Americans.

#8 | POSTED BY NIXON

That brings up a good question. Has Trump been filing his campaign finance reports? Does anyone know how much he's bilked from the MAGAt's since the attempted coup? Or how much cash he has on hand?

I think many of the Representatives and Senators are still just kissing Trump's behind hoping for a cut.

#14 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-07-15 01:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So three things:

1. What the reporters wrote in this book was confirmed by retired general Barry McCaffrey, who knows all these generals and was getting these stories in real-time from the participants in the conversations.

2. Since early in Dotard's presidency, there were people on this board, myself included, who recognized that he was a Hitler-type fascist wanna-be who was looking for his Reichstag Fire moment. It's why he tried to send the military into the streets to gun down protesters. I was surprised that it didn't happen during the summer of BLM protest, but obviously Esper, Milley and Barr resisted him. Plenty of us also feared what the Orange Jabba had in mind when he replaced the Pentagon's civilian leadership with his ball washers around the time of the election. Fortunately the folks who actually command the guys with guns had a plan to resist what was obviously going to be a coup attempt.

3. I wonder often if parts of the planned coup on 1/6 didn't actually come to fruition. We know the white supremacist domestic terrorist "militias" had armed attack squads ready to roll on the other side of the Potomac. We have all heard the misdirected Ghouliani voicemail intended for Tubberville begging him to exhort the rest of the treason caucus to further delay things because they only needed a few more hours, for what? To get those teams into position? The 1/6 commission has some serious questions to answer.

#15 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-07-15 05:28 PM | Reply

The 1/6 commission has some serious questions to answer.

#15 | POSTED BY _GUNSLINGER_

Do you believe that the questions you bring up will even be asked?

#16 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-07-15 05:40 PM | Reply

I am downright enamored with the idea that all the top generals and admirals we're in communication and agreed they would refuse any order they interpreted as being part of or supporting a coup d'etat.

#17 | Posted by Tor at 2021-07-15 05:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Do you believe that the questions you bring up will even be asked?

#16 | POSTED BY WHATSLEFT AT 2021-07-15 05:40 PM | REPLY

Well, since Dems are running it, they have the subpoena power and final right of refusal over who McQarthy puts on the committee, yes I do.

#18 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-07-15 06:20 PM | Reply

Americans Never hold their leaders to Account. Bush the Younger, who deserved a long prison term or worse for Iraq,was never even seriously inconvenienced by questions about his lies and the horrors that followed.

Trump will not be held to any real account. The Dems are too ----------- to really go after him like they should. They will make a little show in Congress and then scuttle the ship.

Trump is hopefully finished as a political force. DeSantis is the real danger in 2024.

He's young, stupid and eager to ---- up the country. The perfect Republican.

America always elects the Cretins we deserve.

We Never hold any to high standards.

#19 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2021-07-15 08:14 PM | Reply

Especially the ones that vote for those cretins because they are either too cynical for their own good or too naive about the political process.

It's like a war on two fronts.

#20 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-07-15 09:03 PM | Reply

"But they later that night, in a very late meeting, they did certify the election and royally pissed of Orange Hitler. He has hated every single member of Congress that voted for that ever since and, historically, he is going to go down as not just the worst President in history but also the most ridiculous man to ever sit in the White House. He's nothing but a pompous ass that so many of his supporters still worship. Aren't your noses brown enough yet?

#21 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-15 10:40 PM | Reply

"He's young, stupid and eager to ---- up the country. The perfect Republican."

1. he isn't stupid, I don't care if you want to pretend he is but he is probably one of the smartest politicians in the country.
2. He isn't eager to ---- up the country, he's just ambitious, as per Marco Rubio, just more successful.
3. He is the perfect Republican from a different era when Republicans were Republicans. He gets lots of heat here from us liberals but I live here, he isn't evil incarnate. He's a politician but he is not just a Trump sychophant, at least not any more.
4. I am certainly not a fan but he is not among the worst Republican governors in the country.

I honestly think that if DeSantis felt that there was a more bilateral approach possible he would go for it. He is not Trump. He is not crazy and aside from a few bills he signed, out of political necessity, he is a decent sort of guy. I just don't hate him. I don't agree with him on everything but I don't hate him. I do hate Trump and many other Republicans.

He governs with a right wing Legislature overlooking everything he does. I think he is attempting to build a consensus of reasonableness. I watch him almost every day on the news here in FL and I don't remember any comments he has made which are similar to the hate speech of Trump.

I am a Democrat but I also make up my own mind about politicians and I don't have it spoon fed to me. By anyone.

I am not a Desantis supporter but, compared to Rick Scott he is a breath of fresh air.

Now, Rick Scotth, he was and is pure unadulterated evil.
5. I suspect that he is actually a moderate Republican in radical REpublican drag.
6. If I had to choose between him and Marco Rubio, DeSantis would win hands down.

#22 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-15 10:55 PM | Reply

OK DEberli.

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-15 10:56 PM | Reply

"We Never hold any to high standards."

Start with yourself.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-15 11:01 PM | Reply

I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why Trump continues to push his election conspiracies, reinstatement fantasies, etc. I don't think he's stupid or deranged at all. I think he's very clever and calculating, very good at promoting the Trump name, very good at capturing peoples' attention, and even better at convincing people to give him their money. As long as the money keeps rolling in, he'll keep up the ringmaster act. He's already launched his own social media platform. I wouldn't be surprised if he spun back into television or into radio. And the rubes will keep giving him their money. For nothing.

Thankfully we had some leaders of good moral character and strong intestinal fortitude ready and willing to resist the intended coup.

#25 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2021-07-16 09:49 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1