Thursday, July 22, 2021

"At some point, a bear had dragged him down to the river," Lt. Cmdr. Jared Carbajal, one of the pilots of the Coast Guard helicopter, said in an interview on Wednesday. "He had a pistol. He said that the bear kept coming back every night and he hadn't slept in a few days."

Comments

" the bear kept coming back every night "

Sounds like the bear had a good time.

#1 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-07-22 12:36 PM | Reply

This idiot got extremely lucky.

#2 | Posted by qcp at 2021-07-22 12:52 PM | Reply

Welllll to be fair to the bear... the guy was out fishing for days... same stream the bear fishes... the guy was having better luck catching fish than the bear... after a while, after days of handling and eating fish... the guy started stinking like fish... soooo one thing leads to another...

What's a bruin to do?

#3 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-07-22 01:14 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

RIGHT/TRITE

Sounds right to me. If you watch any of those nature programs, you can't get away. They'll track you for miles. Also, I never understood people who sleep in a tent in grizzly country. Have you seen the claws on those brutes?

#4 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-07-22 01:52 PM | Reply

I'm just glad they are too stupid to know they can easily cave in the door on my house.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-07-22 02:08 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

It's like a movie. At one point the bear dragged him down to the river.

Luckily, the dude had materials to write an SOS the helicopter crew could spot.

#6 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-22 02:14 PM | Reply

#5 I would not like living in grizzly country. I have been chased by black bears as a kid, but they are afraid of adults. My only concern with black bears is them looking for food in the tent or if my dog decides to be a hero. I had to save him once last summer.

#7 | Posted by bored at 2021-07-22 02:30 PM | Reply

My only concern with black bears is them looking for food...

We likely have more grizzlies than blacks here but most people prefer dealing with the grizzlies. They are bigger but considerably more predictable. You can usually tell if a griz is going to attack but you never know what a black bear is thinking. I try to stay far away from all of them.

#8 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-07-22 02:35 PM | Reply

This reminds me of that viral YouTube video of tha AA woman from the "meat ministry" who was discouraging people from going swimming in the ocean because, "The shark has the right to eat you up when you go in the shark's house." Well, this guy was in the bear's house, what did he expect?

www.youtube.com

#9 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-07-22 02:35 PM | Reply

I travelled with a woman in Greece who was later eaten by a grizzy on her honeymoon. The husband was a mental mess for a while, he tried to save her. Horrible.
www.whitehorsestar.com

#10 | Posted by bored at 2021-07-22 02:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Well, this guy was in the bear's house, what did he expect?"

And now he is in a hospital. Where covid and other nasty bugs like to hang out.

I wonder which of nature's serial killers are worse? I am gonna go with the virus. So now I am wondering did he just go from the pan into the fire?

Only time will tell I guess but his story will be interesting to follow to see if or how he survives civilization.

I hope he elects to get vaccinated. And quickly. There are way more deadly viruses to be worried about in this civilized world of ours than grizzlies.

Especially in a hospital these days.

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-07-22 02:49 PM | Reply

#8 I guess I was lucky. I have been chased twice as a pre-teen, once was my fault, I thought I was chasing a kid while playing a game in my backyard bush.
Since being an adult all the black bears that have seen me have run right away, except for a momma that turned out to be guarding her dead cub. Finding the dead cub after the momma moved into the bush was a pucker moment. The guys I was with all ran, which is not a smart move, but neither is staying behind.
Shortly after a different black bear came out of the bush 50 feet up the trail, and one of the guys screams he is charging us. The rest of us died laughing because the bear was running away, but our buddy had bad eyesight and wasn't wearing his glasses so all he saw was a black blob bounding up and down. He will never live that down, but we always invite him on wilderness hikes because he can't run fast...

#12 | Posted by bored at 2021-07-22 02:51 PM | Reply

14 years in AK made me appreciate bears. Polar bears will stalk you on general principles. Browns and blacks will if you stink like their favorite food. They would rather have the fish than you and if you stink like you're carrying, shame on you. If you're on a fishing excursion where you're eating fish ... just as bear meat tastes fishy during the summer so does yours if you're doing the AK seasonal keto diet.

I don't blame anyone for wanting to eat anything but Alaska salmon... it is to die for... jk

Also, you need at least a .45 / 9mm to maybe put the breaks on a bear... several if you have them.

#13 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-07-22 03:22 PM | Reply

Also in Alaska, you keep your trash in heavy steel bins just like Yosemite.

#14 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-07-22 03:24 PM | Reply

There are videos of bears breaking through car windows to get at the pic-a-nik basket the tourists thought they had safely locked in the trunk.

#15 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-07-22 03:51 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by bored

Your story reminded me of the saying that if you're with someone you don't have to outrun the bear, you only have to outrun whoever you're with :-)

#16 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-22 05:54 PM | Reply

I usually carry bear spray. Buddies will ask, "Do you really think that will stop a bear?".

I just just tell them "I'm going to spray you, not the bear".

#17 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-07-22 06:33 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Be nice to read the article, but pay wall..

#18 | Posted by boaz at 2021-07-22 06:44 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY BOAZ

I'm sure there will be a movie about it some day. Maybe Leonardo DiCaprio can narrate?

#19 | Posted by JasonM at 2021-07-22 07:24 PM | Reply

I have found my pronoun.

#20 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-07-23 08:33 AM | Reply

"I have found my pronoun."

Your pronoun is "dumbass".

Has been for your entire life.

#21 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-07-23 08:27 PM | Reply

#21 | Posted by Angrydad

You do know that you have second most dysfunctional nick I've ever seen on the internet? Right after aborted_monson, and he had to change it when I found out what it meant? By asking RCade?

That's creepy, dude.

I'm just an alien superhero in a man-suit.

#22 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-07-24 08:25 AM | Reply