Friday, July 23, 2021

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey addressed concerns about the recent rise in COVID-19 cases in the state and its low vaccination rate. "Let's be crystal clear about this issue. And media, I want you to start reporting the facts. The new cases of COVID are because of unvaccinated folks. Almost 100% of the new hospitalizations are with unvaccinated folks. And the deaths are certainly occurring with the unvaccinated folks. These folks are choosing a horrible lifestyle of self-inflicted pain."

Comments

On one hand,

Alabama has seen a 311% jump in cases over the past two weeks, according to The New York Times, and a 92% increase in hospitalizations. The state's rate of 23 new cases per 100,000 people was tied for the ninth highest in the nation. Alabama is also tied for the lowest vaccination rate in the U.S.
But on the other hand,
[Gov.] Ivey has not exactly helped her case. Last week, she rejected a plan by President Joe Biden in which community-based volunteers would go door to door to encourage COVID-19 vaccination and offer help to those who need it.

She also signed a bill banning "vaccine passports" in her state. That same law also banned businesses from requiring vaccination or even asking about vaccination status and banned schools, including colleges, from requiring the vaccine despite the fact that Alabama schools currently require multiple shots, with certain exemptions allowed.

Earlier this week, Ivey rejected a call for wearing masks in schools that was made by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Hopes and prayers y'all and Roll Tide ... just like COVID.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-07-23 06:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

It is my understanding that the media has been reporting exactly what the Gov'na said in the speech, but I guess when the Gov needs a media cycle change they ask the media to start reporting the facts (despite the media previously reporting exactly what the governor said).

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-07-23 06:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

More from Governor Ivey:

"Let's be crystal clear about this issue. And media, I want you to start reporting the facts. The new cases of COVID are because of unvaccinated folks. Almost 100% of the new hospitalizations are with unvaccinated folks. And the deaths are certainly occurring with the unvaccinated folks. These folks are choosing a horrible lifestyle of self-inflicted pain," Gov. Ivey said during an event for Landing in Birmingham Thursday.

When asked how the state can get more shots into the arms of residents, Ivey did not hold back her displeasure with the lack of success previous plans have had.

"I don't know, you tell me. Folks are supposed to have common sense. But it's time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the vaccinated folks. It's the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down," she said. "I've done all I know how to do. I can encourage you to do something but I can't make you take care of yourself.

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-23 07:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"It is my understanding that the media has been reporting exactly what the Gov'na said in the speech"

Sure.

Governor Ivey is a miserable human being and her miserable behavior is catching up with her.

Don't think for an instant that she cares who dies-man, woman, child, or the unborn. She's looking for some magic formula of words to advance her political career.

Frankly, I hope she catches COVID.

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2021-07-23 08:03 AM | Reply

"And media, I want you to start reporting the facts"

Jesus, what a monster. What a ghoul.

Nice going, Republicans. You built her.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2021-07-23 08:05 AM | Reply

"I've done all I know how to do"

Liar.

#6 | Posted by Zed at 2021-07-23 08:07 AM | Reply

Sorry, already posted:

#7 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-23 08:07 AM | Reply

Hmmm:

Alabama Gov. Ivey says no' to masks in schools despite pediatric group's new recommendations

Gov. Kay Ivey said she does not think Alabama schools need a mask mandate to reopen safely, despite a recommendation released Monday from a national professional organization of pediatricians that all children over the age of 2 wear masks in school regardless of vaccination status.

www.al.com

#8 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-23 08:09 AM | Reply

"I've done all I know how to do"

Liar.

#9 | Posted by Zed at 2021-07-23 08:11 AM | Reply

What makes me angry is the readiness of these Republican bastards to turn and eat people when they become a political drag to them. What makes me angriest is that those being eaten aren't ready to stop voting Republican.

#10 | Posted by Zed at 2021-07-23 08:15 AM | Reply

These folks are choosing a horrible lifestyle of self-inflicted pain," Gov. Ivey said...

Hey, Freedom isn't free.

#11 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-07-23 09:27 AM | Reply

www.thehindubusinessline.com

...Me and Bobby McGee had become legendary, and its chorus line -- "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose" -- a bit of a rallying cry.

[Kris] Kristofferson has described the meaning of the famed chorus line in his own way. This is what he said in an interview, "It definitely expressed the double-edged sword that freedom is. You may be free but it can be painful to be that free. But maybe at the very end, when you leave, you will be free when you've nothing else to lose, you know, when you're gone."

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-23 10:32 AM | Reply

"Screw health care. How bout some legislation making smug truculent ignorance a crime? I know. We'd need prisons the size of Montana."

Will Durst

#13 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2021-07-23 10:36 AM | Reply

"Alabama is full of marks. Gov. Ivey had a good time exploiting anti-vax when it was to her advantage but now she's going to roll the sick as they lay in the gutter dying for pocket change."

I understand your outrage but virtually all of the anti-vax crowd had access to the truth about vaccination but rejected it. I have little sympathy for any of them who aren't actually retarded. When you let your political beliefs affect your healthcare decisions just acknowledge the fact, you are truly an idiot. And that is exactly what the morons in the GQP have done, if they get sick and die it's on them, they ignored all of our "liberal" warnings because that is their idiotic ideology, now face the deaths that you asked for with dignity. No more regrets about not listening to warnings, no, you asked for this now you got this.

#14 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-23 10:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"It's the fault of the unvaccinated. But I'm not going to do anything to fix that or protect anyone from the stupid people in my party."

#15 | Posted by Sycophant at 2021-07-23 12:26 PM | Reply

"GOP Gov: It's Time to 'Blame the Unvaccinated' for Surge"

If only blaming people for problems fixed problems!

It doesn't work like that.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-23 12:47 PM | Reply

"And media, I want you to start reporting the facts"

#6 | POSTED BY ZED

She has to be referring to Trump friendly media. OAN, Newsmax, Faux, etc. All of the outlets they have been calling "fake news" on the subject of COVID, have been reporting the facts for months.

#17 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-07-23 03:25 PM | Reply

If I was Gov Ivey I'd be blaming other people too. I'm sure she doesn't want anyone realizing the virus surge in the state started just after she lifted the state-wide Safer Apart order. She is also among the list of governors who have banned private businesses from requiring proof of vaccination.

She is right that the unvaccinated share a lot of the blame but she has also failed to do her part to protect the people of her state.

#18 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-07-23 03:41 PM | Reply

I was asked today why conservatives shifted tone on vax. My answer: GOP leaders/pundits believed in vax themselves, but didn't want to anger base, and assumed we were close to herd immunity between vaccines/prior infection, so pandering wouldn't matter.

[Delta enters the room]

twitter.com

#19 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-23 07:42 PM | Reply

Hannity's revered course.
Too much heat about "Freedumb!" I suppose.

#20 | Posted by YAV at 2021-07-23 08:30 PM | Reply

Reversed* course

#21 | Posted by YAV at 2021-07-23 08:47 PM | Reply

They're 'slow to the uptake', but eventually even idiots come around.

#22 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-07-23 09:54 PM | Reply

More from Governor Ivey:

GAL TUESDAY

That's exactly what the media (actual journalism) HAS been reporting .. for weeks now

#23 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-24 12:46 AM | Reply

(Responding to your Ivey quote, GAL)

#24 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-24 12:48 AM | Reply

"Let's be crystal clear about this issue. And media, I want you to start reporting the facts."

Most media has been reporting the facts, it's just the right wing media that she is speaking to there.

#25 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-24 12:08 PM | Reply