Friday, July 23, 2021

After 106 years, the Cleveland Indians have chosen a new name, using a video narrated by Tom Hanks and a Black Keys song to make the announcement.

Comments

Cleveland did the right thing by changing the name. The long history of how the name and mascot were used, such as the deeply offensive Chief Wahoo caricature, made it time to pick something else.

There's nothing sacred about a name in sports. Teams tear down their stadiums to make a buck and sell the stadium names to corporations.

Even the location isn't sacred. Teams move, like the Browns did, and abandon millions of fans.

I was hoping for Spiders but Guardians is a decent name.

#1 | Posted by rcade at 2021-07-23 11:01 AM | Reply

Cleveland Guardians is already the name of their roller derby league. I wonder how much the team/mlb is going to pay them for that domain name. www.clevelandguardians.com

#2 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-07-23 11:03 AM | Reply

They drug that out as long as possible and sorry, Mr. Voice of Cleveland, your presentation was just awful. Just tell us the new nname, it sort of sucks, but whatever I just don't care. You could have said it in your first sentence. I absulutely hate word smiths stretching out announcements like that.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-23 11:03 AM | Reply

I liked the video. Two minutes and 11 seconds is not that long. The Edmonton ex-Elks also did a video that revealed the new name at the end.

They could buy guardians.com instead of clevelandguardians.com. It's for sale.

#4 | Posted by rcade at 2021-07-23 11:08 AM | Reply

I was hoping for Spiders but Guardians is a decent name.

#1 | POSTED BY RCADE

I hope it works out for Cleveland. I hear Cleveland rocks!

I am impressed that Fox News decided not to complain and be outraged and make it all about "cancel culture".

Maybe they are missing some good sportball as much as the rest of us.

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-07-23 11:10 AM | Reply

"I liked the video. Two minutes and 11 seconds is not that long."

Or they could have just said the new name is Cleveland Guardians. I'm sort of an impatient person and just get infuriated by long winded and unnecessary wordage that is common in our world today, such as the long winded and unnecessary message we receive when just trying to leave a voice mail. IMHO, companies would be smarter to respect our time and limit the long winded and unnecessary voice messages they subject us to about their "privacy policy" etc. before we can just leave a simple voice mail.
But hey, that's just me but I suspect lots of others get annoyed by the exact same things.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-23 11:20 AM | Reply

I am Groot

#7 | Posted by phinphan at 2021-07-23 11:24 AM | Reply

I'm from NE Ohio and I agree it was time for a change.
The Chief Wahoo logo was certainly a racist caricature.
Interesting how views change over time: when i was a kid, my Sunday school teacher was the wife of the guy who designed the Chief Wahoo logo.

The name 'Guardians' connects a bit with two large Art Deco statues on a bridge spanning the Cuyahoga (looks they've taken some Art Deco influence in the 'G' logo).
Think of all the cost-savings when you only need to change the 'In' to 'Guar' and leave the 'dians' alone ... unis, signs... :)

>Teams move, like the Browns did, and abandon millions of fans.
Art Modell moved the team because he was a bad businessman and got himself in a financial pickle.
Couldn't really show his face in CLE after that.

#8 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2021-07-23 11:30 AM | Reply

Good to know. That makes me like Guardians more.

That being said, it's my preference to avoid people as mascots altogether. Someday, someone is going to be offended by the caricature of Cowbows, or Vikings, or Brewers, or Celtics, etc etc.

Remember when the Devil Rays had to drop Devil?

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-23 11:37 AM | Reply

"The name 'Guardians' connects a bit with two large Art Deco statues on a bridge spanning the Cuyahoga"

Did they put the fire out yet? The name of the river that actually started much of our environmental movement in the United States should not have been ignored. That is perhaps one of the most significant contributions to American understanding of the environment, the river on fire awakened millions to the realities of pollution. I think I would have named the team "The Canaries"...."in the Coal Mine" Their river was the point that alerted millions of Americans to what we are doing to our planet. I don't know what name would have been better but whatever it is should reflect that history.IMHO.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-23 11:47 AM | Reply

The name Guardians is a bit problematic, because in Dr. Who there were two Guardians of Time. One was the White Guardian and the other was the Black Guardian. I'll let you guess which was good and which was evil.

#11 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-07-23 11:50 AM | Reply

There were good Guardians on both sides.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-23 11:51 AM | Reply

Remember when the Devil Rays had to drop Devil?

I don't think the team had to drop "Devil." They just thought it sounded bush league.

#13 | Posted by rcade at 2021-07-23 11:55 AM | Reply

I visited Cleveland for a wedding in the 1990s. The city and river are a lot nicer than the reputation they got from the fire.

#14 | Posted by rcade at 2021-07-23 11:57 AM | Reply

Yes, knowing the 'Guardian' reference in Cleveland makes the name more palatable.

European soccer teams don't really do 'nicknames' or mascots. (there are some but they're pretty informal and sort of funny - 'C'mon you Cottagers! (Fulham FC in England)

I think we should probably just drop them as well.

#15 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2021-07-23 11:58 AM | Reply

Why does every single thing have to be a social media/music/movie star/over hyped event?

It is getting effing tiresome.

Like that whole Crack-in expansion draft on Wednesday. So drawn out and stupid. Plus someone leaked the list in the afternoon so there was no need for an hour long media event.

I am sure the NHL entry draft will be another over the top media event tonight. Ugh.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

#16 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-07-23 12:00 PM | Reply

>The city and river are a lot nicer than the reputation they got from the fire.

The Cuyahoga actually caught fire on multiple occasions.
from wiki:
"As Cleveland emerged as a major manufacturing center, the river became heavily affected by industrial pollution, so much so that it "caught fire" at least 13 times, most famously on June 22, 1969, helping to spur the American environmental movement."

And it was the thirteenth fire that finally made us think, hey, water's not supposed to burn, maybe we should do something about this?

And now the only Burning River we have is the Pale Ale brewed by Great Lakes Brewing.

#17 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2021-07-23 12:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The best hot sauce I ever had was the hot sauce equivalent of a microbrew, called Cuyahoga Fire.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-23 12:45 PM | Reply

Lifelong Cleveland baseball fan.
I'm disappointed as Guardians sounds like a diaper for incontinent older women.

#19 | Posted by Docman at 2021-07-23 02:27 PM | Reply

I was hoping for The Cleveland Baseball Club, following Washington's lead.

#20 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-07-23 02:32 PM | Reply

I was hoping people could do more than watch men chase balls.

#21 | Posted by Brennnn at 2021-07-23 04:21 PM | Reply

Also hailing from NE Ohio, I grew up with Chief Wahoo. I like the name Guardians and the fact that the visual looks probably as close to "Indians" as you could get and still make sense, it was a smart decision.

HOWEVER; I do think the Cleveland Foster Parents rolls of the tongue a little easier. Guardians is so wordy.

#22 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-07-23 06:37 PM | Reply

I said this years ago when people first started getting pissed off about sports teams mascots/names...Name them after white people.

White people don't get pissed off when you name a sports team after them. There's the Fighting Irish (Racial and adjective issue), Ragin Cajuns (racial and adjective issue), Minnesota Vikings... and there's many, many more.

When a team dubbed themselves the "Fighting Whities" in an effort to criticize Native American sports teams names, white people bought a ---- ton of their merchandise. en.wikipedia.org

#23 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2021-07-23 09:27 PM | Reply

I'm not seeing the tie in to the name...
but then I don't live in the area...

I've always thought, that living near D.C. and being in a similar situation with the Washington Football Team (formerly the Redskins), that many of these teams (could have approached Native Americans), and asked if they could have changed their names to keep the native motiff, and thus honor them, but have a less offensive symbol, name and/or mascot. The Atlanta Braves name in baseball comes to mind.
Other names that I thought could have worked were Scouts, Sentinels, or the name of the actual tribe nearest, like the Florida State Seminoles. Of course, it would all have to alright with those emulated, if a particular tribes name were used.

#24 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-07-23 09:51 PM | Reply

How about the Georgia crackers, or the Minnesota nazis?
The Virginia Slave Holders has a nice ring
The Atlanta burners
The Texas yellow belly's

I know

The South Carolina confederate losers

We should try those

#25 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-07-23 10:23 PM | Reply

The New Jersey --------

#26 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-07-23 10:26 PM | Reply

The Florida Fighting ------.

#27 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-07-23 10:31 PM | Reply

Don't/didn't mean to offend (if I have).
I just thought that more neutral language,
would prove useful in such cases. There is nothing inherently racist in the names, Brave, Scout, Sentinel. That was my point.

For what it's worth.

#28 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-07-23 10:46 PM | Reply

Kansas Karen's

#29 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-07-23 11:05 PM | Reply

Will Washington pick a name already.

#30 | Posted by byrdman at 2021-07-24 02:03 AM | Reply

It's Cleveland. Who cares?

#31 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-07-24 04:57 AM | Reply

It doesn't matter what name is picked. Somewhere somehow someone will be offended.

#32 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-07-25 06:39 AM | Reply

Even the location isn't sacred.

It doesn't have to be this way.

YNWA