Saturday, July 24, 2021

Yesterday's (July 21) episode of The View was one guest short after Bill O'Reillys legal team stepped in, axing an entire segment from the show.

Comments

If the non-disclosure agreement is valid and covers the show appearance, then I see nothing wrong with this.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-24 11:29 AM | Reply

Non-disclosure agreements should be illegal. It is an agreement to hide a crime. We should not have any such agreements in our legal system. Understand one thing, the only people who benefit from them are guilty of heinous crimes that they are trying to hide.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-24 12:01 PM | Reply

Why are all reich-wingers such misogynistic little ------?

#3 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-07-24 12:05 PM | Reply

#3 - I don't think they all are, but I think it's fair to ask why *any* right wingers are such misogynistic little ------.

#4 | Posted by jakester at 2021-07-24 12:07 PM | Reply

@#2 ... It is an agreement to hide a crime. ... Understand one thing, the only people who benefit from them are guilty of heinous crimes that they are trying to hide.

Not always.

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-24 12:13 PM | Reply

"I have been under non-disclosure agreements a couple of times within my employment. Are you saying I am a criminal who committed a heinous crime?"

I don't know anything about your employment or agreements but if you were sexually molested, in any way, and then signed a non-disclosure agreement then you were covering up a crime and enabling a criminal to continue victimizing others.
Non-disclosure agreements involving any criminal behavior should be illegal. I honestly do not understand why anyone would ever sign such an agreement unless a large sum of money motivated them.
I've never signed one, I never will sign one.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-24 12:18 PM | Reply

"Many times (most times?) it is an agreement not to talk about sensitive items, e.g., contract payment details."

It is an agreement to hide something from someone who would benefit from the knowledge of it. There is no way to make NDAs palatable. There would be no NDA if someone wasn't trying to hide something from someone who would benefit by that knowledge. You can couch it in any terms you want but when you boil it down, it is just an attempt to hide the truth about what actually happened.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-24 12:23 PM | Reply

"if you were sexually molested, in any way, and then signed a non-disclosure agreement then you were covering up a crime and enabling a criminal to continue victimizing others."

He cried all the way to the bank.

By way of example, Trump has signed like two dozen of these things to silence his victims. You really think your lawyers would win against Trump in a civil suit?

By way of example, it's no problem for Trump to cut a check for $120,000 to buy silence. And sexual assault is notoriously difficult to prosecute. Why not take the easy money and move on with your life?

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-24 12:30 PM | Reply

"If I am prohibited from talking about anything that has happened in my life then there is something real wrong with that."

Your First Amendment right... can be sold.

Thanks, Capitalism!

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-24 12:32 PM | Reply

It was probably true that TRump could cut a check for $120,000 to keep you silent but what about his next victim? Your silence enabled him to have more victims. Thus, NDAs should be illegal.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-24 12:41 PM | Reply

@#6 ... Non-disclosure agreements involving any criminal behavior should be illegal. ...

If you had said that ~criminal behavior~ part in the beginning I probably would have agreed with your comment.

@#7 ... It is an agreement to hide something from someone who would benefit from the knowledge of it.

Or maybe it is an agreement not to talk publicly about something that is of a private nature, i.e., an employment contract.

There is zero reason why you should know the details of an employment contract that does not involve you. The agreement is between the signatories of the contract. Period.

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-24 12:53 PM | Reply

"Thus, NDAs should be illegal."

Okay, but they're not.
Also, when not being used to hush up a crime, NDAs are commonplace in business. So it's hard to disentangle that.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-24 12:54 PM | Reply

@#9 ... Your First Amendment right... can be sold. ...

If the agreement does not involve the government, then the First Amendment does not apply.

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-24 12:56 PM | Reply

"There is zero reason why you should know the details of an employment contract that does not involve you."

Except it's literally public information if you work for the government.

What I make is my business, why shouldn't I be allowed to talk about it?

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-24 12:57 PM | Reply

@14 ... Except it's literally public information if you work for the government. ...

Agreed.

I've been talking about between private entities.

... Also, it only serves employers when employees can't talk about their employment contract. So, why do you not side with employees here? What I make is my business, why shouldn't I be allowed to talk about it? ...

The NDAs I signed benefited me.

It was not about my salary. Beyond that, even though I am no longer subject to the NDAs (they expired after three years), I prefer not to say. :)

fwiw, NDAs do not just apply to benefits. When I was designing electronics for the military, I was subject to NDAs.

#15 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-24 01:21 PM | Reply

"When I was designing electronics for the military, I was subject to NDAs."

I could understand the necessity of that, it would probably come down to an issue of national security. So, I would agree that there are real situations where NDAs are probably a necessity.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-24 06:55 PM | Reply

"When I was designing electronics for the military, I was subject to NDAs."

#17 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-24 06:55 PM | Reply

"When I was designing electronics for the military, I was subject to NDAs."

#18 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-24 06:55 PM | Reply

"When I was designing electronics for the military, I was subject to NDAs."

#19 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-24 06:55 PM | Reply

"When I was designing electronics for the military, I was subject to NDAs."

#20 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-24 06:55 PM | Reply

Buy a new mouse

#21 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-07-24 10:46 PM | Reply

Non-disclosure agreements involving any criminal behavior should be illegal.

#6 | POSTED BY DANNI

NDA's that conceal a criminal offense are not enforceable. An NDA covering up a sexual assault is not binding.

An NDA covering up sexual harassment would generally be binding because harassment is typically a civil offense, not criminal.

#22 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-07-25 02:35 AM | Reply

O'Lielly is still alive?

The Grim Reaper is slipping.

#23 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-07-25 12:23 PM | Reply

---- it! We'll do it LIVE!

#24 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-26 02:20 AM | Reply

Andrea Mackris...where have I heard that name before? hmm...

AndreaMackris who rails against Democrats protections of women while she took home a $9 million settlement is now intent on violating her NDA to protect herself from the very culture she votes for and supports.

#25 | Posted by Sycophant at 2021-07-26 09:53 AM | Reply