Tuesday, July 27, 2021

A doctor in Missouri says some patients have worn disguises to their vaccinations to avoid letting people know they got the shot. "I've had several people come in to get vaccinated who have sort of tried to disguise their appearance and even went so far as to say, Please, please, please don't let anybody know that I got this vaccine. I don't want my friends to know,'" Dr Priscilla Frase told ABC News.

Comments

Wow
Imagine being the one having to appease cretins like these "friends"
You know, abandoning all sense of social morality and taking a position just to maintain social circles with Biff and Buffy

Perhaps eberly will flutter in with words of all knowing and describe to us what this feels like.

#1 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-07-27 12:34 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

"A doctor in Missouri says some patients have worn disguises to their vaccinations to avoid letting people know they got the shot. "

Support for the idea these people are performing for each other. They never got beyond high school emotionally. Fit in at all costs, or hide the fact you're not fitting in.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2021-07-27 09:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"even went so far as to say, 'Please, please, please don't let anybody know that I got this vaccine. I don't want my friends to know,'"

So freaking shallow as to be mentally ill.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2021-07-27 09:45 AM | Reply

MAGAts are some of the biggest pusses on the planet.

#5 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-07-27 11:11 AM | Reply

I've heard that in this world there are women who protest in front of abortion clinics till they need one and then they go back to protesting in front of abortion clinics.

These people are no better and possibly quite worse.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2021-07-27 03:07 PM | Reply

Further proof trumpism is a cult.

Cults demand absolute obedience.

Getting vaxxed shows that you're not totally obeying the cult.

#7 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-27 03:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

A mask ain't enough?

#8 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-07-27 03:15 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by catdog at 2021-07-27 03:27 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by catdog

Except that is a person trying to hide that they're doing something bad.

Trump's cult is so horrible that they have to hide when they do something good.

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-27 03:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

... Please, please, please don't let anybody know that I got this vaccine. I don't want my friends to know ...

Are they friends? Real friends?

Or are they political baby-sitters, and she is afraid of the consequences from those so-called friends if she is seen getting a shot?

What friend would not want a friend to stay healthy?

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-27 03:35 PM | Reply

The Fox News-watching portion of this country gets stupider by the minute.

Americans have taken vaccine shots for decades. A vaccine in the 1950s stopped polio from paralyzing 15,000 Americans a year. They are a miracle of medicine that has saved millions of lives.

But now, in an age where there's more information available than ever before in human history, huge numbers of people are too foolish or misinformed to recognize the need to get vaccinated during a pandemic that has killed over 600,000 Americans.

#12 | Posted by rcade at 2021-07-27 03:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 8

Sure. I'm in pretty red country and it's not stylish to be unvaccinated.

#4 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Regardless of your report from the ground, the stats for Kansas paint a different picture.

"Overall, 1,307,631 people or 44.88% of Kansas's population have been fully vaccinated."

#13 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-07-27 04:09 PM | Reply

I've always enjoyed Halloween, here's a chance to have it all year long! Lol. These incognito anti-vaxxers are really committed to hanging out with stupid people.

#14 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-07-27 04:23 PM | Reply

I was gassing up when a young-ish AA guy pulled up to the adjacent pump wearing an N95 mask. I said, "hey, smart man!," pointing at his mask. He smiled told me he hadn't been vaccinated but didn't want to catch COVID, so he was wearing a mask. Was vaccine hesitant.

When I told him the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer & Moderna) have absolutely no virus and train our bodies to recognize the COVID protean spike and fight off infection, that they're offering vaccines at all kinds of places from Kroger to Walgreens to CVS and so on (he was afraid of doctor's offices), and that a vaccine can prevent serious illness and death, he perked up and said he'd probably get vaccinated. I hope he does.

#15 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-27 04:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

You realize this article is anecdotal evidence repeated by a doctor?

Which is what I'm giving you.

Take it for what it's worth.

#16 | Posted by eberly

Lets see...a doctor vs a professional both-sides-er and dedicated republican defender/deflector.

Both his sample size and his credibility are much higher than yours.

#17 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-27 04:49 PM | Reply

"Evidence repeated by a doctor"

What are you a doctorate of

So not the same

This doctor has a name
You post anonymously on the internet

So not the same

#18 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-07-27 04:52 PM | Reply

My wife and I are fully vaccinated but we wear our masks and the CDC has just announced that we should in our area. We got buttons that say "I GOT MY COVID 19 VACCINE" and wear them when we are out and about which these days is little more than the grocery store.. So far nobody has given us any grief.

#19 | Posted by TenMile at 2021-07-27 05:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It sucks that they have to hide it, but at least they're getting vaccinated.

Not really any different than sneaking out for an abortion, which these goons do all the time.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 05:13 PM | Reply

It's sad that these people don't know (or don't believe) that their medical history is kept confidential.

The only thing they understand is fear. Their fear of dying outweighs their fear of their friends discovering their fear of dying.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 05:17 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY RCADE

Did you finally get enough of bottled up rage out to ditch the Sams alias?

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2021-07-27 05:18 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

You 2 ------ ------- are stuck in binary hell because your asses are always in a collective bleed over anything I post.

Go see Dr. Frase for that.

#20 | Posted by eberly

The country is stuck in a binary hell. On one side - people who believe in science and democracy. On the other side, people who want fascism and only trust a con man.

And then there's you - acting like both sides are the problem.

#24 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-27 05:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

He doesn't want to upset his friends.

It's amoral convictions, "conservative" country club style

#25 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-07-27 05:49 PM | Reply

No...I consider anti-american POS losers like you and savage to be the problem.

But not a huge problem.

#26 | Posted by eberly

Funny that you reserve the word "anti american" to describe someone who supports democracy instead of the cult that wants to end it.

#27 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-27 05:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Funny you consider yourselves to be Americans when you can't stand Americans.

#29 | Posted by eberly

Again, funny that you'd aim that statement at me instead of at the cult who stormed the capitol to take away democracy from americans.

#30 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-27 06:19 PM | Reply

Vaccination doesn't upset anyone.

#28 | Posted by eberly

Then why did trump do it in secret?

#31 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-27 06:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

How did being critical of an ideology that involves amoral behavior and promotes ignorance get confused with hating America?

So weak

#32 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-07-27 06:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

he didn't want to come off as a coward or a ----- to his base.
#33 | Posted by eberly

preceded by:

Vaccination doesn't upset anyone.
#28 | Posted by eberly

5 whole posts without totally contradicting yourself. it's a new record.

#34 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-27 06:40 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

Because you really hate roughly 1/2 of Americans.

#33 | Posted by eberly

You think 70 million is roughly 1/2 of 300 million. As if we needed more evidence that you're a moron.

#35 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-27 06:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

They aren't following me around from thread to thread sniffing my ass.

#33 | Posted by eberly

No one follows you loser. But we love laughing at your "my observations of my group of friends is just as valid as a doctor's observations of all his patients" idiocy.

#36 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-27 06:42 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Here in the Bible belt there is a liquor store in a strip mall next to an "Edible Arrangements" Sometimes I sit in my car waiting for a pizza (three doors down), and watch men look both ways before entering the liquor store. If they see a friend/church member, sometimes they will stop and chat, then head into the Edible Arrangements till coast is clear., then look both ways again then go into the liquor store. Funny to watch.

#40 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-27 08:28 PM | Reply

That was in response to this, "This is the modern extension of the Baptist minister drinking his whiskey from a coffee cup--a hypocrite disguising his actions so as to avoid ridicule..."

#41 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-27 08:31 PM | Reply

I don't know about all that. But you could start with some humility

#42 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-07-27 08:33 PM | Reply

#40 ---- Shaming is a way of life in the Bible Belt.

#43 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 08:35 PM | Reply

Good work American Unity. Ive convinced a bunch of people to get vaccinated, including in laws who asked me not to tell anyone, didn't want their friends to know ... .they are in their 70"s. Finally I convinced them to tell their friends, and their friends got theirs too. Pretty pitiful when grown people are so worried about peer pressure and fitting in.

Positivity and education will pave the way. Negativity and demonization will cause people to dig heels in deeper.
Politicizing this disease has been the most harmful thing, and politicizing it further will only make it worse.

#44 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-27 08:41 PM | Reply

Sounds like a Zoom meeting.

#45 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-07-27 08:47 PM | Reply

"Positivity and education will pave the way."

GOP's greatest fear.

"Negativity and demonization will cause people to dig heels in deeper."

GOP's business model.

#46 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 08:47 PM | Reply

"Sounds like a Zoom meeting."

I keep an empty Diet Coke can handy in case anyone asks what that sound was when I crack a Coors Light in the morning huddle.

#47 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 08:49 PM | Reply

Eberly,,
As a fellow "both sides-er" thanks for being you. It's refreshing to see someone who can think for themself rather than the "one sliders" who merely parrot partisan tropes.

#48 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-27 08:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#48 - What a stupid and condescending arrogant and self-unaware thing to say. Also really unintentionally funny.

#49 | Posted by YAV at 2021-07-27 08:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"someone who can think for themself"

LOL!!!
He sure does do some good thinking, just like in "Johnny Got His Gun."
tinyurl.com

#50 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 09:01 PM | Reply

*Puzzled look*

#51 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-27 09:01 PM | Reply

Not a man of the arts, or a Metallica fan?

#52 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 09:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So apparently, according to YAV, the idea of considering other viewpoints is so foreign that to even recognize that as a quality is considered "condescending" "arrogant" and "self unaware"

#53 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-27 09:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Miranda7,
I'd like you to consider the viewpoint that you're not very smart.

#54 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 09:12 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

Nope. Not that at all. That's all excellent. What's got a chuckle out of me is how you think that because someone like me (perhaps) believes in the ideals I do, am somewhat liberal in my perspective and you espouse positions that are right of center (by a much wider margin than you may be aware) that you are 'someone who can think for themself rather than the "one sliders"' and folks like me can't or don't think for ourselves.

You honestly believe you are thinking for yourself but other people don't
(Besides those that buy into the Big Lie and eat up propaganda, and regurgitate it here, day in and day out which I could name on one hand)

#55 | Posted by YAV at 2021-07-27 09:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

When you have nothing meaningful to say, toss out a personal insult.

#56 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-27 09:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

No, I really want you to consider the possibility that you're just not that smart.

How far did you get in school?

Knowing your limitations isn't a bad thing.

#57 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 09:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Most of all, ignore what Yav is telling you.
Introspection is not for people like you.
Trying to find a pack to roam with, and beta-ing up to Eberly is for people like you.

#58 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 09:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

The Fox News-watching portion of this country gets stupider by the minute.

#12 | Posted by rcade at 2021-07-27 03:58 PM | Reply | Flag:
| Newsworthy 5

Yes, we've had vaccines for decades. But the anti-vaxxers were already getting mouthy before Covid came along. They have become more pernicious though.

Dumb people seems to have a psychological need for conspiracy theories, which they can then pretend to outsmart, by relying on "secret" information they get from non-mainstream sources. They get a charge from being rejected by the elitist conspirators they insist on believing are behind every established organization.

#59 | Posted by cbob at 2021-07-27 09:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I crack a Coors Light in the morning huddle.
#47 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

No offense to anyone who enjoys Coors Light, especially those East County folks, but god damn it, SNOOFY. You live in the craft beer capital of the world and you're drinking Coors Light in the morning?

Yeeeesh.

#60 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-07-27 09:57 PM | Reply

"Dumb people seems to have a psychological need for conspiracy theories"

I don't think it's just being dumb, though that certainly helps.

I think these people feel powerless. And it so much easier to blame someone else, even an unseen conspiracy, than look yourself in the mirror and acknowledge your own failures in life. Or maybe it's not even your own failure, but we live in a society where only the top 20% of households are on an upward trajectory. It doesn't seem like that's the America either party keeps promising us, so why does it keep happening?

Easier to believe in a conspiracy than accept the truth that the cavalry isn't coming.

#61 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 10:09 PM | Reply

See, now this is actually a clever way to try to convince people to get vaccinated. Convince them that all their friends are doing it incognito. Maybe they'll even wear a mask.

#62 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-07-27 10:14 PM | Reply

#60 You want something light in the morning.
Also I was joking. Also I moved to Pittsburgh, no joke. While its no San Diego, craft beer is all over the place here, and it's considerably cheaper if only at the beer distributor. PA has weird liquor laws.

Right now I'm having a Juice Bomb Northeastern IPA by Sloop Brewing out of Hopewell Junction, NY.

#63 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 10:15 PM | Reply

#63 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Fascinating. About to crack a Mongo IIPA made by Port Brewing.

San Diego won't be the same without you.

#64 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-07-27 10:18 PM | Reply

Snoofy- I think it's easier for people to believe that the government is all knowing and all powerful and evil than the truth...

That it's Incompetent, full of bureaucracy.

#65 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 10:18 PM | Reply

"They get a charge from being rejected by the elitist conspirators they insist on believing are behind every established organization."

Yes, I think this is part of the mindset. In a world of things beyond our control, raising my middle finger to the establishment has a certain appeal.

Its like listening to rap music just to piss off our parents when we were kids... and then just never growing past that stage.

#66 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 10:19 PM | Reply

"San Diego won't be the same without you."

Thanks! I'll be back every now and again for company events or whatever. But I can afford to buy a house here.

#67 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 10:21 PM | Reply

POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2021-07-27 10:19 PM | REPLY

That's a good one, may I use it?

#68 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 10:22 PM | Reply

First of all, my original comment was not directed at you. It was directed at those who refuse to explore or consider other viewpoints and criticize those who do that, specifically responding to Speaks post. Not sure why you took it personally, I have made no such judgement about you. We may disagree but your viewpoints and postings display actual thought.

As to my views, You've only heard a fraction of my "positions" yet you believe you can classify me. I can't even classify myself. My family is racially and politically mixed, so I have some diverse viewpoints that jump across the aisle. Growing up, I had to think for myself and see things from "both sides" to survive. Dinner tables debates are epic. My Black family members are far more conservative than my white family members, and they usually win

So yes, I do think for myself, and certainly more than SOME people here who have never seen any perspective beyond the far left.

#69 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-27 10:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Sorry, the above That was in response to #55 Yav

#70 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-27 10:28 PM | Reply

There's a BIG difference between exploring other viewpoints...And being a both sides do it guy.

#71 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 10:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"That's a good one, may I use it?"

Sure.

It's adapted from Dave Barry, who said in the 80s the purpose of rap music tiday is the same as the purpose of rock music when he was a kid: it's for kids to piss off their parents.

#72 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 10:35 PM | Reply

^
This.

I can see both sides to many things.
I can also see when one side is right and side is wrong.
We don't need to give the time of day to flat earthers, but that's what Both Sides demands. It's intellectually lazy. But worse, it's immoral.

That's why I called you out like I did, Miranda7.

#73 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 10:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#71 that is so true, Alexandrite. I had a discussion with a conservative friend of mine, love the guy, and he just wouldn't drop the "both sides do it!" crap. It's his only defense for remaining committed to his conservative views and keep the name "Republican." By making them the same he gets to keep his views just the way they are. He can stay where he's at and not deal with any cognitive dissonance.

OK, Miranda7, then I'll keep a more open mind when I read your posts. That post I responded to sounds just like right-wingers I have to deal with that believe they're middle of the road and they are far from it. I'm perfectly happy to be proven wrong by watching and reading your future posts.

#74 | Posted by YAV at 2021-07-27 10:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"If you can look at both parties and think they are precisely the same: platform, execution, behavior, etc. YOU ARE NOT THINKING you're making excuses for being intellectually lazy."

Who did that? I certainly have not, in fact, I have never seen ANYbody do that.

To make a similar point, if you can look at both parties and think that one party is all good and the other is all bad, YOU ARE NOT THINKING you're making excuses for being intellectually lazy.

So yeah ... .exploring other viewpoints inevitably leads to "both sides" statements.

#75 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-27 10:47 PM | Reply

"if you can look at both parties and think that one party is all good and the other is all bad"

Tell us some good things about the Confederate States of America then.

#76 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 10:52 PM | Reply

Tell us some good things about the insurgents who stormed The Capitol on Jan 6.

Tell us some bad things about the police who fought them off.

I'm picking these examples for a reason.

#77 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 10:56 PM | Reply

I dare you to name anything positive about Donald Trump. As a human or as a president.

GOOD LUCK!

#78 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 11:00 PM | Reply

#75 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7 AT 2021-07-27 10:47 PM | REPLY | FLAG

No it doesn't, you're just too weak to make an adult value judgment.

There were no "good nazis" in WW2, for example.

#79 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 11:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Miranda do you think anti vaxxers and Dr. Fauci should be given equal time/weight on television?

#80 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 11:05 PM | Reply

I'm destroyed. Eberly the both sides do it king doesn't take me seriously.

You get credit for actually posting here on ONE anonymous account though. Your right wings friends are too cowardly to do that.

#82 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 11:22 PM | Reply

"So, when discussing the positive merits of both sides, you guys immediately run to Nazis and confederate soldiers."

Which side routinely has Confederate flags at their rallies, and which side doesn't?
Which side tolerates their Base waving Confederate flags, Eberly?
Can you even say it out loud?

#84 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 11:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"So ask yourself, who is being intellectually lazy?"

It's the same people who can't condemn that which deserves nothing other than to be condemned.
I'm not asking for intellectual rigor in all moments of a poster's waking life.
But this is a political discussion forum. This is not the place to phone it in.

#86 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 11:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Never have I made that argument. It's issue by issue.
Every time.

it's always the same eberly.

Let's use vaccinations as an recent example. You compare (both sides) black democrats not taking the vaccine vs trump followers not doing it.

Meanwhile one number is FAR larger than the other, but you can't help yourself to make them equal and "both sides" it.

It's your answer in almost every thread. I can set my watch to it.

#87 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 11:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

When I argue that both sides do that then you'd have an argument
#88 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2021-07-27 11:29 PM | FLAG:

You argue that both sides are the same all the time.

They are not.

#90 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 11:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"You compare (both sides) black democrats not taking the vaccine vs trump followers not doing it."

Misattribuition.
Democrats aren't telling blacks, don't get vaccinated.
Republicans are telling Republicans, don't get vaccinated.

#92 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 11:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

You equated them by deflecting to the other side. Which is what you always do.

Why do I have to explain the obvious to you?

#94 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 11:34 PM | Reply

You argue that mules and unicorns are the same thing all the time

Here is my first post using the words "mule" and "unicorn" in 17 years here.

Enjoy your strawman.

#95 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 11:35 PM | Reply

I thought that wasn't what you said, eberly.

Make up your mind.

#98 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 11:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"When I argue that both sides do that then you'd have an argument"

Indeed. There's no "both sides" there. Your party is full of racist trash, and you and your party make no effort to remove it. In fact your party has been pandering it to it, as long as you've been aware of politics. Whatever good things Republicans might stand for, I don't see how it isn't overshadowed by that. But since you do, maybe you can let us know how that works.

#99 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 11:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

You are a ------- haybale.

#97 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2021-07-27 11:39 PM | REPLY | FLAG

Does every conservative on this site project?

Starting to think it's a base republican trait.

#100 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 11:41 PM | Reply

"I pointed out there a lot of folks not getting the vaccine and it having nothing to do with national politics."

The legacy of racism, as played out in health disparities, has everything to do with national politics.

Now you'll accuse me of seeing racism in everything.

While not having a better answer. While not having sufficient awareness to understand that since you don't have a better answer, the best you can do is simply knee-jerk reject the reality of what racism is.

#102 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 11:45 PM | Reply

it's not entirely driven by that

I've seen no one say it was 100% trumpers not vaccinating.

You're fighting phantoms.

#104 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 11:47 PM | Reply

Good for them for getting vaccinated. Sad these adults feel as though they shouldnt get vaccinated due to social pressure of their community

#105 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-07-27 11:49 PM | Reply

"My argument on the vaccinations is not a both sides argument in any way."

Racism isn't a both sides argument either. But only one party both-sides it by making anti-white racism a talking point.

#106 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 11:49 PM | Reply

You wrote
Henrietta Lacks LOL

That's what you did, Eberly.

#108 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 11:50 PM | Reply

Or was it
Tuskege Syphillis Experiment LOL
Refresh our memory.

#109 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 11:51 PM | Reply

Poor eberly places his self esteem in a blog.

I will cry for you.

#111 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-27 11:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Not all Republicans are against getting vaccinated.
But 100% of politicians who are against getting vaccinated are Republicans.
And the rest of the Republicans think it's fine to break bread with them.

#113 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 11:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"How many do you think go unvaccinated because of that?"

More than Trumpers who go unvaccinated because of that.

It's one straw of many, and it's a Fool's Errand to try to say if it's the one that broke the black camel's back, and I think you're smart enough to have already known that when you asked the question.

#115 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-27 11:58 PM | Reply

The Republican anti-vax delusion
America's vaccination programme is stalling. Populist conservatives are to blame
www.economist.com

#117 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-28 12:01 AM | Reply

#74 I'm definately not middle of the road, I'm usually in one ditch or the other. My right side is coming out more here because of the lean here. Mostly I'm against the media.

"Both sides do it" is not an excuse, and does not make things equal, but it is important to point out hypocrisy. I unequivocally condemn the violent Capitol riots and every person who took part. I also find it ironic that some of you suddenly care about police officers. You didn't for months as cops nationwide were attacked, berated, taunted, cursed at, at, pelted with projectiles, beaten with all sorts of objects. The liberal left supported encouraged this violence. Protesters shouted "Death to Cops", " Kill the Pigs" and some followed through on these threats There were thousands injured and several ambush shootings where police were killed. Many innocent people lost businesses and property, and a few lost their lives as well. That's all been forgotten, rioters bonded out by celebrities, charges dropped, t shirts sold. Meanwhile the nationwide manhunt continues for the Capitol rioters facing federal prison.

I get it, the intent of the rioters matters to the big picture. But from the perspective of those who were facing a daily onslaught, motives are irrelevant. The terror is the same when you are being attacked, or the building you are in is set afire. A violent mob is a violent mob. Arguably the BLM protests were worse because of the duration, and sheer numbers of injuries and deaths sustained by officers and citizens.

Once again, I am NOT minimizing the Capitol riots. I'm reacting to the hypocrisy. Where were you last summer when the police needed your support?

#119 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-28 12:04 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Where were you last summer when the police needed your support?"

The police didn't need my support last summer, and they didn't need it on Jan 6 either.

But since you brought it up:
The police got support from, and thanked, the Proud Boys like Kyle Rittenhouse last summer.
And then the Proud Boys attacked them at The Capitol.

#120 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-28 12:06 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"but it is important to point out hypocrisy."

No it's not.
It's a "tell" to point out hypocrisy.
Appeal to hypocrisy is a logical fallacy.

#121 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-28 12:08 AM | Reply

"Protesters shouted "Death to Cops", " Kill the Pigs" and some followed through on these threats"

#122 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-28 12:10 AM | Reply

Snoofy,
Thats not how the Appeal to hypocrisy fallacy works. Use your google.

#123 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-28 12:35 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Police routinely initiated violence last summer. Like when they cracked that guy's skull in Buffalo."

"And what's wrong with shouting "Kill The Pigs" when the pigs murdered George Floyd? What's wrong with that, in your mind?"

For starters, you are advocating violence against ALL cops because the actions of specific cops.

If I prepared a list of people violently killed in the last year by (Insert group name here), would it be okay to advocate for violence against ALL (Insert Group name here)

Its like a MadLib, plug in different things till you find one that works for you. Teachers, Gay men, Truck Drivers, Black Men, Professional Athletes, Pitt Bulls, Women named Julie

#124 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-28 12:47 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

But it isn't a Madlib.

You're comparing apples to oranges now.

#125 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-28 01:02 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Alex,
Discussing "Both Sides" does not mean they are equal. You seem to be a very binary person who wants to put everyone/everything in a tidy little compartment. It must be Us or Them, This or that, Black or white, Good or evil. And then, right in the middle is "Equal". Is that how you see the world?. I don't. I'm more of a spectrum thinker.

I don't see the point of me contemplating redeeming qualities for any of those "bad" people/groups. But I also think it is foolish to pretend they have none. Similarly, it is foolish to igo=nore or gloss over the negative attributes of "good" people/groups.

You can't solve a problem if you don't properly identify it and you can't properly identify it if you leave out important factors.

#126 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-28 01:07 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Miranda

Most of the people who "both sides" around here are conservatives pretending not to be conservatives and muddying the waters all the same.

If this doesn't describe you disregard my criticism.

#127 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-28 01:14 AM | Reply

Discussing "Both Sides" does not mean they are equal.

Depends. If you give equal TIME to a Doctor and an anti-vaxxer in the media then they are being treated equally.

#128 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-28 01:18 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#129 | Posted by Corky at 2021-07-28 01:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#129 | POSTED BY CORKY AT 2021-07-28 01:30 AM | REPLY | FLAG:

Shhhh. Don't tell me madbomber...

#130 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-28 01:35 AM | Reply

should read "my friend madbomber" but C/P sometimes goes haywire.

We need an edit function for posting at 2 in the morning.

#131 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-28 01:37 AM | Reply

You just changed the subject. I agree with your statement:

"Teachers, gay men, truck drivers ect. don't have the power or authority given to them by the state and federal govt to police. Police should be held to a higher standard than citizens. They are not, in fact it's the opposite, hence peoples justified anger toward police."

But that doesn't change the argument. The "higher standard" and "justified anger" arguments are irrelevant. It is NEVER okay to attack all members of a group because of the actions of individual members of that group. George Floyds Minnesota death provides no moral justification for attacking a police officer in Baton Rouge. There have been MANY teachers implicated in crimes against children, specifically sex crimes. They are held to a higher standard, does that give you the right to attack Molly in Michigan because of what Pam in Pennsylvania did to that 3rd grader? No one has more power or authority over our kids than parents, and parents kill way more people than police officers. Does that give us justifiable anger and the right to attack a Mom in Seattle because of the hundreds of moms who have killed kids? What about Black Men. Thousands of murders committed by Black men, but wouldn't it be racist to say lets attack Black men?

#132 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-28 01:37 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Again, you're making apples and oranges comparisons.

Also, cops are largely complicit in covering up for other cops. Do I personally think it's Okay to attack police officers for the actions of the few? No. But I get why it's done.

#133 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-28 01:38 AM | Reply

"Does that give us justifiable anger and the right to attack a Mom in Seattle because of the hundreds of moms who have killed kids?"

*sigh*

You just can't seem to make a coherent point tonight. It's all false equivalencies and straw men positions I never took.

#134 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-28 01:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"One of the cops at the Hearing today noted that the 1/6 riot was about the Constitutional transfer of power in this country... about our very democracy, unlike the summer riots."

When you are getting spit at, stomped on, pummeled, kicked, cursed and have rocks hurled at you, what it is "about" is the furthest thing from your mind. Getting your face smashed in is no less painful or permanently disfiguring if it was done for a "noble" cause.

#135 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-28 01:46 AM | Reply

So what's your point?

#136 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-28 01:48 AM | Reply

- When you are getting spit at, stomped on, pummeled, kicked, cursed and have rocks hurled at you,

One might think you would be used to that by now.

And your nonsensical objection misses the point entirely; the comparison being made that one is comparable in importance to the other is absurd.

#137 | Posted by Corky at 2021-07-28 01:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Nope, you answered this question,

"If I prepared a list of people violently killed in the last year by (Insert group name here), would it be okay to advocate for violence against ALL? (Insert Group name here)" by changing the subject, and it was obvious you were implying that it was ok for police because anger was justified and they were held to a higher standard than others. If I misread your implication, then try again and answer the question. WHEN is it ok to afdvocate for violence against ALL members of a group due to the action of individuals within that group?

My answer is never. Do you agree, or are you going with when its cops, because of the higher standard and anger and all that stuff

#138 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-28 01:55 AM | Reply

I already answered you in #133. "Do I personally think it's Okay to attack police officers for the actions of the few? No. But I get why it's done."

#139 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-28 01:57 AM | Reply

How hard is it for you to understand the FACT that despite how the lack of vaccinations is largely driven by political ideology that it's not entirely driven by that?
Too hard?

#101 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Whoa. This is quite the admission Ebs.

#140 | Posted by jpw at 2021-07-28 02:01 AM | Reply

#119 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7

Actually, you are minimizing the Capitol riot.

Any time you draw a false equivalence you minimize it.

And sorry to say it, but the hypocrisy argument is more often than not low hanging fruit that isn't worth point out. A significant portion of those times it requires the person pointing it out to be at least slightly hypocritical themselves.

#141 | Posted by jpw at 2021-07-28 02:07 AM | Reply

"Also, cops are largely complicit in covering up for other cops."

#142 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-28 02:09 AM | Reply

What he said. Maybe Mandy grok it the the second time.

But then, I'm an optimist.

#143 | Posted by Corky at 2021-07-28 02:11 AM | Reply

#142 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7

No, it's based on the fact that cops investigate cops and cops always seem to get off light, if not consequence free.

Cops cover for cops. Countless cases have been uncovered where this occurred. Hell, we saw it in the GF incident and we see it in every bastardized American flag flying with the blue stripe in it.

You're being obtuse if you think it's a misconception derived from TV shows and movies.

#144 | Posted by jpw at 2021-07-28 02:13 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

109,000 new cases yesterday ... that we know about. We're nowhere near the end of this pandemic. 38k in FL alone, and they aren't reporting like they should, taking the Trump 'let's keep the numbers down' approach so DeSantis' policies look better than the horrendous actuality.

Lord, I hope reluctant people will begin getting vaccinated or this will never end ...

www.google.com

#145 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-28 04:13 AM | Reply

#142 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7

Not according to assistant D.A.s I know personally. Cops lie. Period.

#146 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-07-28 06:49 AM | Reply

They do know the Taliban is watching all this right?

#147 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-07-28 07:41 AM | Reply

Beverly is hilarious.

#148 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-07-28 07:59 AM | Reply

"Also, cops are largely complicit in covering up for other cops."
Based on? That is a commonly held misconception, mostly derived from TV shows and movies.

Did you read this article?:

#149 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-28 08:05 AM | Reply

"Actually, you are minimizing the Capitol riot." By that argument YOU are minimizing the BLM protests.

Any time you draw a false equivalence you minimize it."

I made no false equivalence. My argument was about injuries, death and property damage, the BLM riots were far worse. Tell the dozens of people who died they were "low hanging fruit"

#150 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-28 08:06 AM | Reply

"Cops are largely complicit in covering up for other cops"
Largely complicit is not supported by evidence. The narrative of the brotherhood of police officers protecting bad cops under a cloak of secrecy is a myth. Yes, some officers lie, maybe even "lots of them" but it is not nearly as widespread as you try to make it to justify your obvious disdain for the profession. MOST do not cover up for other cops. Nobody wants a bad cop gone more than a good cop. Most corruption is uncovered by other cops. They rat each other out all the time.

#151 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-28 08:17 AM | Reply

"Discussing "Both Sides" does not mean they are equal."

Do you know what the word equivocation means?

That's what both sideridm does.

Comparing the police to protesters, and holding both to the same standard, is a false comparison, because only one side acts as an agent of the state.

And when you use "both sides" with, say global warming, you're making a false comparison between accepting science and denying science.

You never answered what were the good things about both sides in the Iran Iraq war. But you insist there must be something there. So take your own medicine and tell us the good things. Put up or shut up.

#153 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-28 08:26 AM | Reply

"Nobody wants a bad cop gone more than a good cop"

Three cops stood around and protected the fourth while he murdered George Floyd.

So they were all bad cops, then?

#155 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-28 08:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Largely complicit is not supported by evidence."

How would you know? Let's see this evidence.

#156 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-28 08:29 AM | Reply

"My argument was about injuries, death and property damage, the BLM riots were far worse."

So you're comparing multiple riots across multiple months, to one.

Does that seem like a fair comparison?

Let me make an equally valid and unrelated point: My point is about injuries, death and property damage, the police firebombing MOVE headquarters was far worse than the Capitol Riots.

Now what does that tell us?

#157 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-28 08:37 AM | Reply

100 riots led to more property damage and death than one riot.

What should my takeaway from this observation be? How does this help me place January 6 in perspective, by understanding it didn't have as much property damage or death as 100 unrelated events?

Should we multiply Jan 6 by 100, to get these two on an even footing?

#158 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-28 08:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Riots at BLM protests isn't even part of this discussion. What point are you making by even bringing it up?"

The right wants it to be part of the discussion:

twitter.com

#159 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-28 08:49 AM | Reply

"So you're comparing multiple riots across multiple months, to one.
Does that seem like a fair comparison?"

It's a flaw comparison for the reason Tony points out in another thread:

Kinzinger hit the nail on it's head yesterday when he stated that "There is a difference between breaking the law and rejecting the rule of law, between a crime -- even grave crimes -- and a coup."

#160 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-28 09:01 AM | Reply

*flawed It's a flawed comparison, but the right is going with it because it's all they've got. Well, that and making fun of the cops who testified yesterday:

Watch Tucker Carlson literally laugh at DC cop Michael Fanone saying he's "been left with psychological trauma and emotional anxiety" from the Capitol riots.
twitter.com

Laura Ingraham is giving out best performance awards to police officers from today's hearing
twitter.com

Blue lives matter--until they don't.

#161 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-28 09:24 AM | Reply

"Well, that and making fun of the cops who testified yesterday:"

And, of course, blaming Nancy:

House GOP conference chair Elise Stefanik: "The American people deserve to know the truth. That Nancy Pelosi bears responsibility, as speaker of the House, for the tragedy that occurred on Jan. 6."

twitter.com

#162 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-28 10:35 AM | Reply

Ingraham, Carlson, I wish they'd both get a full unfiltered and unbridled doses of comeuppance.

#163 | Posted by YAV at 2021-07-28 01:16 PM | Reply

"Where were you last summer when the police needed your support?"

But since you brought it up:
And then the Proud Boys attacked them at The Capitol.

#120 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-28 12:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

And during 2020 the far right boogalo bois planned and carried out executions of police in order to start a race war.

www.latimes.com

"Following President Trump's call for "MAGA night" on Twitter after protesters demonstrated in front of the White House, Burghart said, he saw an uptick in alt-right participation in Floyd rallies."

#164 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-07-28 02:03 PM | Reply

to justify your obvious disdain for the profession.

I don't have disdain for the profession.

I have disdain for the hero worship that leads to reduced accountability for officers and disdain for those officers who, when facing accountability, quit.

#165 | Posted by jpw at 2021-07-28 02:16 PM | Reply

"to justify your obvious disdain for the profession."

My disdain is for the thugs in uniform, and the rotten apples and the civilian bootlickers who support them.

As professions go, it's a pretty significant problem to have a house divided like that -- especially among leadership.

#166 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-28 02:26 PM | Reply

"Comparing the police to protesters, and holding both to the same standard"

What about comparing protesters to protesters?

Apparently, that's not OK either.

And certainly not rioters to rioters. The violence of some rioters should be understood within the context of why they riot. Others should just be shot.

But...back to cops. Do you hold them to the same standard.

You spent last summer referring to them as "pigs." When they were fighting off the far left mob.

Now you somehow see them as good guys?

I'll make it simple. Are the cops in Portland still pigs? And what about those in DC? Are they pigs too? Were they not easy enough on the rioters?

#167 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-07-28 04:08 PM | Reply

"You can tell the good cops from the bad cops based on whether they fly the American flag, or gang colors."

What would a good cop have done in Portland IRT to violent rioters?

What would a good cop have done in DC IRT to violent rioters?

#168 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-07-28 04:09 PM | Reply

"What about comparing protesters to protesters?"

Go for it.

Compare the Selma to Montgomery March to the Jan 6 insurrection.

#169 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-28 04:33 PM | Reply

" they were held to a higher standard than others."

Why shouldn't cops be held to a higher standard? Don't they walk in the room wearing one on their chest?

Also, when a defendant lies, that might affect that case. When cops lie, that affects society , and removes "justice" from the justice system.

#170 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-07-29 06:14 PM | Reply