Thursday, July 29, 2021

The drama over mask wearing on Capitol Hill is back and in full force. One day after Capitol Attending Physician Dr. Brian Monahan reinstated a mask mandate in the House of Representatives, many House Republicans purposefully defied the rules by appearing on the floor maskless.

Comments

They are revolting in all kinds of ways... let me count them.

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2021-07-28 10:43 PM | Reply

It's like they think this is a game, and when their side wins, they are happy and excited:

www.stltoday.com

#2 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-28 10:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Yep, all federal and DoD facilities reimposed a 100% mask mandate starting today.

Real sad about it, personally

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-07-29 06:16 AM | Reply

That include you, GONOLES?

If so, try these 3m N95 masks with exhalation valve. Easier to breathe with. Won't fog up glasses either:

www.ebay.com

#4 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-29 06:28 AM | Reply

"House Republicans Revolting"

You said it, they stink on ice.

#5 | Posted by qcp at 2021-07-29 08:23 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

www.ebay.com
#4 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY AT 2021-07-29 06:28 AM | FLAG:

They don't let you use valved masks on commercial flights :(

#6 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-07-29 09:01 AM | Reply

They don't let you use valved masks on commercial flights :(

#6 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Makes sense.

Masks are most effective when they're catching and blocking.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2021-07-29 09:17 AM | Reply

Of course the Repubs are being ignorant, petulant children. They are, in fact, ignorant, petulant children.

Hawley is on FB stirring up the dredges at the bottom of barrel with lying declarations of conspiracy and BS. He's saying it's our "freedumz" that require everyone to go maskless, even with delta. The comments are embarrassingly stupid.

Seeing people's inability to logically follow this as it unfolds has probably been the most instructive aspect of this for me. From the simple fact that they appear to be incapable of comprehending that we're learning as we go on this (such that no, science and medicine don't have all the answers from day 1) to the amazingly obtuse and infuriating claims that if masks and vaccines were effective we wouldn't be needing to mask up or vaccinate now, which completely ignores the role of their own ignorance in producing the need to mask up again or receive a booster vaccine.

Americans really are just abysmally stupid. Like far far stupider than I ever though possible given the scale and complexity of the society we've built over time. I guess they weren't as stupid in the near past?

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2021-07-29 09:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#4 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY

Valved masks are either banned or will get you heckled by someone who thinks they're banned in the facility.
I have some KNs stocked up and they work well enough:
www.microcenter.com

#9 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-07-29 09:23 AM | Reply

GOP voters are getting the government the deserve. Those voters didn't realize they were voting for seven-year-olds...

#10 | Posted by catdog at 2021-07-29 09:23 AM | Reply

#9 | Posted by GOnoles92

Understandable. We have both kinds, but we don't have to mingle in a work environment.

The masks the U.S. Olympic team is wearing look pretty comfortable.

#11 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-29 09:49 AM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2021-07-29 09:22 AM | REPLY | FLAG:

We seem to have lost ( in my lifetime ) the ability to discern reality from -------- conspiracy theory.

#12 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-29 09:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

You know, when the next one comes, and it will,
there are going to be a lot of dead Republicans and Ignarts...

We got lucky w Covid...it only kills 2-4% depending on strain
and the ethnicity of the person who has contracted it.

Had we gotten MERS instead, well, the streets would have been lined w
body bags...

Soooooo many Snowflakes on the right...
I mean it's only a half-inch needle 'big man'!

#13 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-07-29 10:11 AM | Reply

They don't let you use valved masks on commercial flights :(

#6 | Posted by sitzkrieg

My cousin in Portland mentioned that after I had a box of 3M valved masks shipped for her and my other cousins there during the Oregon fires last year. Personally, I'm not hopping on an airplane until this pandemic is better controlled. Unless I hit a mega lottery jackpot and buy a used Citation in good shape :-)

#14 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-29 10:28 AM | Reply

BTW, I bought a coupel boxes of valved N95 masks at the beginning of the pandemic because they were the only ones available that weren't for front line health care workers. I'm vaxed, COVID free, and will still wear the valved masks if I'm ever in a situation where I'm outside in close quarters with other people. Especially when it's 90-100 degrees every day.

Be careful, though. I just read the other day that 60% of "KN95" masks are counterfeit. The only way I could think of to check them is to fill one with water over the sink and check in a bit for leaks.

#15 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-29 10:34 AM | Reply

"Real sad about it, personally"

I just never realized what an idiot you actually are but now I do. There is really no way to ever erase the impression of your intelligence after a comment like that. You can post intelligently but really are just a complete moron. Good words cannot replace actual intelligence.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-29 10:53 AM | Reply

Who knew that the Teatards were such snowflakes?

Terrified of wearing a mask. Even though if will help end the pandemic.

Republicans ... Don't ask what your country can do for you, but what you can refuse to do for your country!

#17 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-07-29 11:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Valved masks defeat the purpose of the mask. The mask is not primarily to protect you - it is to protect everyone around you from you. That's why valved masks are not allowed - they just protect you because your exhale is going out completely unfiltered. And if the valve is leaky, your inhale is unfiltered too.

#18 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-07-29 11:26 AM | Reply

#15 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY

How do you compare that to a typical mask? They filter out fine particles but allow air to pass. It will leak as it is not air tight.

#19 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-07-29 11:29 AM | Reply

Wearing a mask to prevent getting a virus is like putting up a fence to keep mosquitoes out. On top of that it will eventually cause respiratory problems for the user.

#20 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-07-29 11:36 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

#20 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER AT 2021-07-29 11:36 AM | REPLY

You are the problem.

#21 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-07-29 11:45 AM | Reply

" Wearing a mask to prevent getting a virus is like putting up a fence to keep mosquitoes out."

Nonsense. Take a science class, or STFU. This pandemic is spread by droplets, severity is connected to viral load, and masks reduce both the expelling and the intake of droplets.

#22 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-07-29 11:58 AM | Reply

#19 | Posted by GalaxiePete

The "KN95" (Chinese and Korean designation for 95% filtration like U.S. "N95") are not like the cloth and nylon masks or "neck gators" you see some people wearing, which do little to protect. And neck gators actually make the wearer's respiratory particles smaller and easier to get into other's respiratory systems.

N95/KN95 masks are designed to filter out micro particles like bacteria and viruses. The "KN95" masks I've bought were manufactured in South Korea. Less chance of being counterfeit, IMO. To otest loop the ear straps around the kitchen sink faucet and fill the mask with water. If it doesn't leak, you're probably fine.

#23 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-29 12:05 PM | Reply

#20 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

Ahhh these tired lines of ignorant stupidity.

via GIPHY

#24 | Posted by jpw at 2021-07-29 12:54 PM | Reply

16 | POSTED BY DANNI

Sad about it personally, that we're still in this situation and each person citing "personal responsibility" didn't do whatever necessary to curb the contagion.
Alas, it was 6 or 7am, pre-coffee earlier today

#25 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-07-29 03:10 PM | Reply

This is the adult version of toddlers throwing a tantrum when their parents said they had to wear pants in public.

granny pelosi will have none of their anarchy.

www.youtube.com

#26 | Posted by Tor at 2021-07-29 03:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I vote that Bellringer has to change
his handle to the 'Crapmaster 5000'...

:D

#27 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-07-29 08:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"St. Louis County Council votes 5-2 to rescind mask mandate, throwing rule into limbo
[M]ore than 40 people addressed the council Tuesday night, nearly all of them opposed the mask mandate. And after the vote to rescind it, the room erupted in cheers."

The St. Louis County Health Director wrote a letter the next day about his experience at the meeting:

St. Louis County Health Director: I Was Assaulted, Called 'Brown C""' After Mask Plea

After completing my medical training, I chose to focus my work on public health. I have committed myself " over my entire 25-year career " to improving health status indicators for entire communities, particularly in the most vulnerable segments of society. I have worked to improve public health around the world, working in Australia, Vietnam, Pakistan, South Africa, the People's Republic of China, Zimbabwe, Botswana and the United States (West Virginia, Massachusetts and Missouri). I have been a proud citizen of the United States since 2013.

In all that time and in all those places, I have never been subjected to the racist, xenophobic, and threatening behavior that greeted me in the County Council meeting last night. . . .

After my presentation was completed, I tried to leave the chamber but was confronted by several people who were in the aisle. On more than one occasion, I was shoulder-bumped and pushed. As I approached the exit and immediately outside the chambers, I became surrounded by the crowd in close quarters, where members of the crowd yelled at me, calling me a "fat brown ----" and a "brown bastard." After being physically assaulted, called racist slurs, and surrounded by an angry mob, I expressed my displeasure by using my middle finger toward an individual who had physically threatened me and called me racist slurs.

www.riverfronttimes.com

Are you ashamed of your fellow Americans yet? I am.

#28 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-29 09:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

crybaby republicl0wns... weeeee weeeee weeeeeeeeeee all the way home.

#29 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-07-30 07:53 PM | Reply

How did these little babies get elected? Who would want to have to admit they had voted for them? Are there more than just a few grownups left in the Republican Party leadership?

#30 | Posted by nimbleswitch at 2021-07-31 02:03 AM | Reply

Are you ashamed of your fellow Americans yet? I am.
#28 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

You don't live here and haven't had to listen to the wanna be Bravehearts.

#31 | Posted by jpw at 2021-07-31 03:51 AM | Reply