Thursday, July 29, 2021

Cases on Wednesday were surging in [California]. According to Public Health Department data, the 7-day average test positivity rate has nearly tripled since July 4th, from 2.0% to 5.9%. In that same window, daily cases have surged even more, from 1,509 to 6,849. But the most telling figure may be the 7-day average number of cases per 100,000, a reliable measure of infection spread because it is an average.

Comments

"More concerning is that the age group currently being hit hardest by the virus is those between 18 and 29 years old."

"Inconceivable!- Mythbummer

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2021-07-28 10:53 PM | Reply

There are currently 26 children being treated for COVID-19 in Alabama hospitals, according to Dr. Don Williamson, president of the Alabama Hospital Association.

That's up from nine pediatric virus patients earlier this month, as COVID hospitalizations have skyrocketed in Alabama in July. Williamson said the rate new patients of all ages are coming in with COVID has him worried.

www.al.com

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-28 11:00 PM | Reply

Right to life unless I have to wear a mask, then f em.

#3 | Posted by bored at 2021-07-28 11:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Right to life unless I have to wear a mask, then f em."

They want to outlaw abortion but to also have the ability to kill hundreds and help kill thousands.

www.youtube.com

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2021-07-28 11:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

My son-in-law is an anti vaxer... fortunately (for me) my daughter is not. It would be such a drag for her to be widowed or have to take care of an invalid when it could be prevented. She really loves the guy.

#5 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-07-29 10:44 AM | Reply

"She really loves the guy."

I do understand how people can love others who are self-destructive but I can't condone it. Self-preservation is an important part of being a human being. I hope your daughter loses that idiot soon for her own sake.
And I say that sincerely fully knowing that logic doesn't dictate matters of the heart.
I wish her well and hope that if he contracts the virus that he dies quickly.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-29 10:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"...just a bit more likely" (holds fingers pinched an inch apart)

#7 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-07-29 11:21 AM | Reply

The GQP is not pro life, they are forced birth.

#8 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-07-29 11:39 AM | Reply

The GQP is not pro life, they are forced birth.

#8 | Posted by Nixon

No they're just anti sex.

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-29 12:54 PM | Reply

Related...

The 4 main fault lines that divide the vaccinated and the unvaccinated
www.vox.com

...So who isn't getting a vaccine, and why? And can they be persuaded to get their shots?

Some distinct patterns have emerged. "The most obvious and blatant, and the one I've got the most attention for, is the partisan link," said Charles Gaba, a health care data analyst who has made several charts tracking vaccination that have been widely shared across social media. ...

But there are other fault lines as well. "There have really been persistent gaps between white people compared to Black and Hispanic people, with Black and Hispanic rates lagging behind pretty consistently across states," said Samantha Artiga, vice president and director of racial equity and health policy at the Kaiser Family Foundation. ...

Income is another dividing line. Lower-income brackets appear to have a higher share of unvaccinated people than higher-income brackets. The costs of medical care, or the perceived costs, may explain why. People without health insurance may worry about getting a bill, even though Covid-19 vaccines in the US are supposed to be free. There have been instances of people being erroneously billed for their vaccines, and even people with insurance may be skeptical that a medical appointment could come at no cost. ...

There is also an age divide, with younger people being less likely to be vaccinated than older adults. That's partly due to how vaccines were rolled out, with older adults prioritized for access, as they are at the highest risk for severe Covid-19. However, a vaccination lag remains among teenagers and young adults. (The largest unvaccinated age bracket is children under age 12, who are not yet eligible to receive Covid-19 vaccines.)...

Good discussion in the article...

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-29 01:34 PM | Reply

Hit hardest?

Like dying?

I didn't see that.

In fact I didn't see anything related to dying.

In fact if you look at deaths nationwide, they're still at March 2020 levels.

If you look at CA, deaths are still on the decline.

If you look at hospitalization rates, they're climbing in CA, but there are still plenty of beds available. But even this is an anomaly. Hospitalization rates nationwide are stable/declining. Even as case rates increase rapidly.

The same thing is happening here in Germany, only over here RKI is looking more at hospitalization rates than new cases. No reason to shut down society over a bunch of kids who are going to go home and cough it off.

#11 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-07-29 02:22 PM | Reply

Sick children is a non-factor in MythWorld.

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2021-07-29 03:22 PM | Reply

@MADBOMBER

We have no idea what the long term impact of getting the virus is.

#13 | Posted by Tor at 2021-07-29 03:27 PM | Reply

Hey, I'm not saying that a world with COVID is for everyone.

If you're scared, you need to reconcile that however you see fit.

But most of us aren't scared. Never have been.

#14 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-07-29 03:37 PM | Reply

And if you guys are lucky, the vaccine is -------, doesn't work, and I die.

And you spend the rest of your remaining life in a basement somewhere talking about how dumb I was for not hunkering down in a basement.

#15 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-07-29 03:39 PM | Reply

And if you guys are lucky, the vaccine is -------, doesn't work, and I die.

#15 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER AT 2021-07-29 03:39 PM

Hehehehe maybe you got a placebo. One can only hope.

#16 | Posted by byrdman at 2021-07-29 04:42 PM | Reply

Hate to see masks creeping back into everyday life.
If I was king I would say the vaccine is free and available... if they don't want it so be it but don't penalize those who do get the shot with more mask mandates and shutdowns... let the lemmings jump off the cliff.

#17 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2021-07-30 05:39 AM | Reply

Hate to see masks creeping back into everyday life.

#17 | Posted by 503jc69

Since we now know vaccinated people can contract the Delta variant, I'm going to mask up when I'm around other people. We simply don't have the numbers of people vaccinated to do otherwise without putting ourselves and those we care about in peril.

Simone Biles won nationals w/broken toes in both feet, worlds w/a kidney stone, and has carried the burden of being a face of sexual assault survivors as a national institution failed to support them. Half of y'all yelling about "toughness" can't handle wearing a mask in Wegman's (grocery store).

- Kavitha A. Davidson (@kavithadavidson) July 27, 2021

#18 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-30 06:32 AM | Reply

(Tweet directed at unvaccinated 'tough guys' who won't do something as simple as wearing a mask)

#19 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-30 06:33 AM | Reply

"And the more this damned virus keeps spreading the more it'll continue to mutate with new versions. All because of selfish people who won't get vaccinated or simply wear a mask."

Thanks, AU, well put.

#20 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-07-30 06:56 AM | Reply

Sadly true, DOC, sadly true.

#21 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-30 07:24 AM | Reply

DOC_SARVIS

I sent you an email to the address you have listed here.

AU

#22 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-30 07:31 AM | Reply

Nevermind. The email I just sent got kicked back ...

#23 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-30 07:32 AM | Reply

Sorry about that - haven't used it for ages

#24 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-07-30 08:12 AM | Reply

#24 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis

Just wanted to catch up on the last couple of years.

I'll double check the other email address we communicated with previously.

Do you have mine?

#25 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-30 08:17 AM | Reply

DOC

I sent one to the only other email address I have for you ... used previously.

#26 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-30 08:20 AM | Reply

My worry is where does it all end?
It is true you have a small chance of catching the delta variation even if vaccinated... thats one more reason to avoid mosh pits...too much contact.

But without covid we all had a chance of getting the flu which kills people too... nobody felt they needed a mask for that...with or without the flu shot.

I will get the Phizer booster as soon as it's available but this has become a pandemic of the unvacinated... free will, its a bitch.
The lockdowns are going to destroy this country if they continue IMO.

#27 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2021-07-30 08:39 AM | Reply

I couldn't agree with you more, 503JC69

At this point it's all the fault of the unvaccinated/anti-mask morons.

#28 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-30 08:46 AM | Reply

In fact if you look at deaths nationwide, they're still at March 2020 levels.
If you look at CA, deaths are still on the decline.

#11 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Could you cherry pick data a little more please?

We're actually at late October/November levels with a similar trajectory. In July. When respiratory illnesses usually spread very inefficiently.

Why just CA? Why not MO or FL or TX?

'Even if numbers are going up, it's ok because' you did this before too. There are lags between different metrics. And again. SUMMER!

Would you just STFU over this? You seriously are one of the most disingenuous people I've met when it comes to this topic. You're a broken record who was never terribly well informed to begin with.

#29 | Posted by jpw at 2021-07-30 10:23 AM | Reply

But most of us aren't scared. Never have been.

#14 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

For the millionth time.

It's not about fear you childish, emotionally stunted -------.

#30 | Posted by jpw at 2021-07-30 10:23 AM | Reply

My worry is where does it all end?

Define end.

It will remain with us forever but equilibrium will be reached and it will be an endemic seasonal virus like the other human coronaviruses.

The numbers and clinical details aren't remotely similar. There is no comparison to seasonal influenza.

The lockdowns are going to destroy this country if they continue IMO.

#27 | POSTED BY 503JC69

Stop hyperventilating. Lockdowns aren't going to destroy anything as they're not really in effect anymore (in most places) and I'm quite certain most politicians aren't going to have the stomach to impose them again.

It's going to be a long winter.

#31 | Posted by jpw at 2021-07-30 10:27 AM | Reply

"Stop hyperventilating"

Sorry, I guess the sight of all those businesses borded up around my city must have made me emotional..my bad.

#32 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2021-07-30 12:56 PM | Reply

#32 | Posted by 503jc69

Good thing the mass graves aren't visible to you. Most people find those worse than looking at plywood.

#33 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-07-30 03:00 PM | Reply