Friday, July 30, 2021

A group calling itself an "election integrity committee" drew allegations of voter intimidation after its members reportedly knocked on doors across York County asking about how and for whom residents voted.

Comments

FTA:

Various local officials say they have received reports that the group is visiting residents' homes and questioning how the homeowner voted and who they voted for. The questioning comes as county officials weigh whether to comply with a "forensic audit" of the 2020 election spearheaded by state Sen. Doug Mastriano, R-Franklin County.

"There is an intimidation factor, and that's what their intent is," said Chad Baker, chair of the Democratic Party of York County. "The timing of this doesn't seem suspect given the recent request of the audit by Sen. Mastriano."

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-07-29 10:31 PM | Reply

These people are mental.

#2 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-07-30 05:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Republicans hate the voters, and will at the drop of a hat (into the ring) will make open threats to convince voters of the 'Superiority' of their agenda.

#3 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2021-07-30 08:20 AM | Reply

Fanatical fascists are going door to door demanding to know who people voted for.

So they can hurt them later if they voted the wrong way.

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2021-07-30 08:21 AM | Reply

Hey right wing Republicans come to my door and ask those questions....I dare you. You will get your head handed to you in a basket. Cowards like today's Republicans deserve no respect, no toleration. They need to be chased off the street with the fear of a beat down that they deserve. No American should tolerate this kind of thing.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-30 08:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Here in Okiehomie folks try to pull a stunt like this and they eventually are greeted at a front door by Mr. Mossberg, pointed at them by some housewife who is thinking she finally caught that neighborhood porch pirate...

#6 | Posted by catdog at 2021-07-30 09:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#6 | POSTED BY CATDOG

Sounds like there must be a bunch of miserable, paranoid people there.

#7 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-07-30 10:17 AM | Reply

I usually get phone calls asking me if I approve or disapprove of this or that legislation.

Republicans have gotten very crafty here in South Florida.

If I answer that tells them who I'm likely to vote for. I usually say "None of your business" and hang up.

#8 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-07-30 10:22 AM | Reply

"Sounds like there must be a bunch of miserable, paranoid people there."

What are you talking about? CATDOG is exactly right, trying to ask people questions like that deserve whatever punishment the resident dishes out. Chase them down the road and make them fear for their lives.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-30 10:39 AM | Reply

I get asked to fill out surveys about politics or just consumer goods and services. I refuse. They aren't paying me for my time and just why would I waste the time helping their marketing department?

#10 | Posted by danni at 2021-07-30 10:42 AM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY DANNI

#11 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-07-30 11:36 AM | Reply

So if they come to your door with access to a life saving vaccine they are radical fascist... but if they come to your door asking you who you voted for .. they are patriots?

#12 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2021-07-30 01:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

JOHNNY HOTSAUCE

"Unless you are running a trap house, showing up with a gun when someone knocks on your door sounds insane."

Not necessarily. We don't know the whole story of why this woman CATDOG mentioned answered the door with a gun in her hand. It's possible she's had some previous bad experience that influenced her over reaction.

I can speak from my own experience after receiving phone calls from someone who claimed he was taking pictures of me through my bedroom window and offered to sell me the negatives . . . for a price. It was a frightening thought that he knew my name and phone number and was calling just to see if I was home before he came knocking.

So yes, call it paranoia or whatever you like. Had I been the woman in CATDOG's story I wouldn't have answered the door at all. It was unwise of her to expose herself to what she perceived to be a danger to her person. What she did was imprudent. She should have just called 911.

#13 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-07-30 01:49 PM | Reply

The cops knocked on my front door after midnight a few weeks back.

I took my ruger to answer the door because - this is a bad neighborhood.

That's really the only reason you need to bring a gun to the door.

I don't live in a gated community. I live in the real world where folks overdose weekly at the rallys just steps from my house.

You know what the neighbors do as they administer narcan? They complain that the junkies are never gonna learn if the medics keep bailing them out...

And you know what - they're right.

This is America. My president used to be Black and my Lambo is blue n*gga.

And if I see you in the streets I'm slappin' the s*it outta you.

#14 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2021-07-30 06:00 PM | Reply

(Laptop Drop)

#15 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2021-07-30 06:01 PM | Reply

If it's after dark, we don't answer the door. I have a brace under the door knob and a surveillance camera watching the front porch.

If it's during the day, I look out the mirror tinted side window to see who it is. I don't answer for obvious sales people, I just let them stick their flyer in the door. If it was one of these knuckle draggers, I would have answered because I like to play. I'd let them get into their spiel, and have them ask me some inappropriate questions. I'd act unsure, and tell them that I don't think I have to tell them who I voted for, to see if they try to roll me with a lie, which I'm sure they would. Eventually it would come down to me telling them to get off my property or I'll have them arrested as trespassers. I'd whip out my cell phone to get a good face shot, and a picture of their vehicle. Then I'd submit the surveillance video to the Democratic party as proof of what's going on.

#16 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-07-30 07:10 PM | Reply

When I lived in the country I had a gaggle of geese on the property. They never bothered anybody they knew but I've seen them make a stranger bolt back to his car at a dead run.

I did have a sign on the gate that said "Beware of the geese." I wasn't kidding. Those suckers would chase you down the driveway and tear you a new one.

For birds they made great watchdogs, especially at night.

#17 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-07-30 08:41 PM | Reply

Those suckers would chase you down the driveway and tear you a new one.

I almost had to bear spray a couple of those effing things doing a track inspection at work a few weeks ago.

#18 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-07-30 08:45 PM | Reply

Ladies, Please ... .ALWAYS answer your door and please teach your children to do so. Espescially in the daytime. Don't OPEN it but don't I ignore it or pretend you aren't home. Burglars knock first, almost always. If you answer they come up with an excuse then leave ... .wrong house, lost dog, offer to do yard work, sell magazines. If you do not answer, they break in. If you are comfortable with shooting an intruder dead, that's up to you, but don't put your kids in that position.

#19 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-30 09:44 PM | Reply

Most residential burglaries strike during the daytime while residents are at work. They don't want your kids or your wife, they just want stuff they can sell. That's why they knock first, to make sure nobody is home. I've been to a couple calls where kids did as their parents instructed, pretended nobody was home. They ended up hiding under beds or in closets, terrified white burglars searched the home. In one case an 11 year old shot and killed the intruder when he opened the closet door. He was celebrated for his "bravery", but the kid never got over it and is still traumatized.

people fear"Home invasion" robberies but they are very rare and usually not random. I've never investigated one that was not drug related or specifically targeted (store owner known to have a lot of cash, etc)

Dogs are great. If burglars hear a decent sized dog barking they will usually skip the house and move on to the next one. Not worth the hassle. Almost every burglary I've been to with a dog in the house there were indications the burglar was not a stranger to the family or the dog.

#20 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-07-30 10:02 PM | Reply

#19 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7 AT 2021-07-30 09:44 PM | REPLY

#20 | POSTED BY MIRANDA7 AT 2021-07-30 10:02 PM | NEWSWORTHY

Appreciate this context and nuance.

#21 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-07-31 12:17 AM | Reply

Appreciate this context and nuance.

I do as well. Glad I don't have to deal with that sort of thing.

#22 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-07-31 12:21 AM | Reply

Good tips by Miranda7, but that's not really the subject at hand here.

The Republican Party of 2021 has gotten so far out of what we used to call the mainstream that they feel a sense of entitlement, driven by extreme hostility, which itself is rooted in fear, to intimidate their fellow citizens and take matters into their own hands to undo the will of the people. And its leaders are either egging them on (Kevin McCarthy, Lauren Boebert, Marjorie Taylor Green, Louie Gohmert, Rand Paul etc.) or incapable of returning them to something approximating sanity (McConnell). I have little in common politically with Liz Cheney or Adam Kinzinger, but at least they're taking a principled stand in defense of American democracy.

#23 | Posted by cbob at 2021-07-31 06:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1