Friday, July 30, 2021

As Aaron Carroll pointed out Tuesday in The Times, Covid is now a crisis for the unvaccinated. Risks for vaccinated Americans aren't zero, but they're vastly lower than for those who haven't gotten a vaccine. What Carroll didn't say, but is also true, is that Covid is now a crisis largely for red states.

Comments

My area of Texas has a 30% vaccination rate. That 30% literally covers the local Democratic voting population. No joke.

COVID is a Red disease because the Reds are willing it upon themselves.

The local hospitals are filling up with Trumpites. Right now, just as I write this, local intubations of Trump's morons are becoming exponential. Unless more Trump Hillbillies see Biden's $100 vaccination incentive as beer money, a lot of them are going to die.

I care about the true innocents they will take to the grave with them. To be honest, I don't really care about these disease vectors anymore.

Can't fix stupid.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2021-07-30 09:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

ZED

We're at a whopping 39% here in Tennessee. "Pro-life" Republicans have become a death cult.

#2 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-30 09:49 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Speaking of which, 200 "Pro-life" GOP Congressmen wrote a letter to the Supreme Court seeking a ruling on a Mississippi abortion case, urging them to overturn Roe vs Wade.

Most of those GOP Congressmen are anti-mask and anti-vaccine - measures that would save countless lives over the coming months - railing about 'freedom.' ---- morons

#3 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-07-30 09:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So what about California?

#5 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-07-30 03:25 PM | Reply

Fully half the people in my county are not vaccinated. More than that if you go into Walmart.

Which I don't!

#8 | Posted by Corky at 2021-07-30 05:20 PM | Reply

"they are getting them and saying they aren't"

Each county reports how many shots they have administered.

So, this is a thing you could dig up some numbers on.

I have a hunch, the redder the county, the lower the rate.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-30 06:18 PM | Reply

"How Covid Became a Red-State Crisis"

Here's how:
The GOP is a Death Cult.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-30 07:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I was in last month CA and everyone was wearing masks and being respectful.

I went to a Lowe's in Alexandria LA last week and people were snickering behind my back because of my mask. The only reason they didn't say it to my face was because of the heater on my hip son. Two different employees told me to take it off and one of them was coughing up a storm.

CA is it's own country - I'd wager larger than most of the red states combined. And don't forget many parts are red - like riverside and the oc. And they don't have to cross state lines to cough on folks on the sunset strip.

You better come correct before you insult my ancestral homeland you chicken ---- ---- wad.

Oh and have a nice day you deplorable cousin ------.

It's a shame momma was too drunk to find your dumbass with that wire hanger ...

#11 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2021-07-30 07:39 PM | Reply

Can't fix stupid.
#1 | POSTED BY ZED

It was inevitable that their ignorance and denial of reality catch up with them. It's a virus. It does not care about your ideology. It is using the ignorance of the qtards and the resulting divisions against us all.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-07-30 08:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

How?

They took everything learned from the beginning of the pandemic and decided to ignore it because it was learned in blue states.

Owning the libs...to the death...literally.

I am all out of ---- to give.

Won't wear a mask.

Won't get the jab.

Won't stay home.

They are getting what they wanted.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

#13 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-07-30 09:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

When I go to the store in my mask and get the side eye I tell the lookers my mask is an expression of my personal freedom. Gets the Okies to scratching their heads ...

#14 | Posted by catdog at 2021-07-30 10:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

How? Karma is real.

#15 | Posted by bored at 2021-07-31 05:40 PM | Reply

"KARMA IS REAL AND SHE IS PISSED! EVERYBODY RUN!!!"

-Folks in florida right now.

#16 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2021-07-31 06:33 PM | Reply

Liars. CNN already broke this down for the special Ed members and fake doctors here.

#17 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-08-01 12:39 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

CNN
#17 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

Fake News!

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:40 AM | Reply

www.cnn.com

#19 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-08-01 12:41 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

You said it Snoofy. Not me

#20 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-08-01 12:42 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"New York has 970 people hospitalized with Covid-19; Florida has 7,763."

Is that the lie?

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:43 AM | Reply

#22 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-08-01 12:43 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Is that the lie?

#21 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2021-08-01 12:43 AM

Read the article, drama queen.

#23 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-08-01 12:44 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I read it when it was posted last time.

Did you catch this part, about who's refusing to get vaccinated?

"the vaccine resistant group, of whom 55% are Republican or Republican leaning independents. Just 21% of that group are Democrats or Democratic leaning independents."

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:46 AM | Reply

While you're at it you should call someone a lazy ------. And claim sometimes people need to hear it.

#25 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-08-01 12:46 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

There's other kinds?

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:47 AM | Reply

FTA
" A look at the data reveals that the vaccine hesitant group, however, are not big Trump lovers. They're actually likely not to be Republican. Instead, many of them are people who are detached from the political process and didn't vote for either major candidate in 2020"

#27 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-08-01 12:48 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

You must be special Ed. I'm sorry for picking on you.

#28 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-08-01 12:49 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Right, that's the hesitant group. Those are the ones who might still get vaccinated.

Those are these people:
www.washingtonpost.com
A rush to get shots
Vaccine holdouts in coronavirus hot spots including Louisiana, Arkansas, and Missouri are rolling up their sleeves as the delta variant hits home.

The people who aren't doing that are the "vaccine resistant" group that the CNN article talks about as being majority Republican. They're not holding out. They'll never give in. You're not one of them?

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:51 AM | Reply

See, it's one thing to be too lazy (for lack of a better term) to get vaccinated. It's another thing altogether to resist get vaccinated on ideological grounds. And Republicans largely fall into that second category.

The CNN article you posted tells the same story. That's the difference between "hesitant" and "resistant."

Get it?

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 01:00 AM | Reply

Red-State Crisis:

Florida has more new Covid cases than ever before
The state has become the new national epicenter for the virus, accounting for around a fifth of all new cases in the U.S.
www.nbcnews.com

#31 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 01:03 AM | Reply

I'll make a new thread for #31, it's worth rubbing some faces in.

#32 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 01:04 AM | Reply

Here you go BellRinger. I'll catch you on the new thread. Unless you're too lazy.

Florida Sets Record For New COVID Cases

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 01:07 AM | Reply

Get it?

Here's an updated article that basically says the same thing:

#34 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-08-01 08:11 AM | Reply

"Would you like me to post from infowars? I'm trying to play nice and post from the soy boys liberal rag."

I'd be embarrassed to have a relative like Bellringer, well actually I do have three brothers like that. I haven't any of them in years and that is my choice and it will stay that way for more years.

#35 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-01 08:56 AM | Reply

I have honest concern for kids going to school who sit in the same classroom with other kids whose parents are unwilling to have them wear masks. Such a little thing to ask but these a*****e parents are so ridiculous that they feel that their "freedumb" is being diminished by taking reasonable precautions to keep their kids healthy and are even willing to jeopardize the health of other people's kids just to show off their stupidity.
Never try to diminish the stupidity that a Trump supporter feels the need to show off.

#36 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-01 09:00 AM | Reply

It is infuriating, Danni, that DeSantis and these deniers have power and believe that their "rights" to have their kids go maskless and spread disease, overrides everyone's, including the kids in their own school, right to a safe place to learn.

#37 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-01 10:03 AM | Reply

#37 Well at least they're consistent!

That's the exact same way they feel about guns.

The GOP is a death cult.

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 10:09 AM | Reply

"But I'm not talking about trailer trash republicans who hang rebel flags and signs of "---- biden" signs in their yard either. Perhaps those are important differences in those groups." - Eberly

I wonder why your country club Republicans you constantly defend vote the same way as the people you just referenced?

Because they are ALL part of a Death Cult, some people like steak, some like burger, they all kill the cow.

Wake the eff up!

#39 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-08-01 10:41 AM | Reply

Zed,

"local intubations of Trump's morons are becoming exponential."

That's not true.

Positive tests maybe exponential.

Hospitalizations increasing.

But not intubations like you said.

#40 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-01 12:13 PM | Reply

Zed,

When all is said and done after Covid is less of a major news story, I think the biggest thing that will be discussed will be the way Americans refused to work cohesively and insisted on politicizing the pandemic.

Even now people are playing whataboutism blaming the other side and taking credit for anything positive and rewriting history to take credit for things they discounted at first.

#41 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-01 12:19 PM | Reply

Zed,

#42 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-01 12:23 PM | Reply

#43 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-01 12:26 PM | Reply

"How much of the covid increase in Texas is due to immigrants coming across the border?"

Are the border centers themselves hotspots? That would be the best indicator.

#44 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-08-01 12:27 PM | Reply

Yav,

"Given the positivity rate they're finding from migrants (which are all tested) is lower than Texas' positivity rate, BillJohnson, it appears they are lowering the State average."

Given that not all migrants are even tested I don't know how you can believe that.

#45 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-01 04:12 PM | Reply

Bill, we don't test all people.

Migrants are tested at ridiculously high levels compared to the general population. They aren't "slipping in" like you think.

I can back up everything I posted. Can you back up your "feelings" with any actual data?

#46 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-01 04:46 PM | Reply

I don't understand why anyone engages Bill "nonexistent mail in voter fraud is the biggest threat to out democracy" Johnson.

The guy, time and again, proves he's willing to ignore all facts in order to maintain his bullshht worldview.

#47 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-08-01 05:06 PM | Reply

The immigrant excuse for red state virus spikes is utter --------. It's just more GQP racist crap.

Explain Missouri and Florida with huge spikes and not being border states.

#48 | Posted by a_monson at 2021-08-01 05:15 PM | Reply

USA: 107,376 cases per 1M
MEX: 21,843 cases per 1M

However, Mexico's case count could be highly underreported due to health disparities.
So if we go by deaths:

USA: 1,889 deaths per 1M
MEX: 1,848 deaths per 1M

There's no evidence to support Mexicans entering the US is what's driving it.

#49 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 05:56 PM | Reply

Snoofy,

"There's no evidence to support Mexicans entering the US is what's driving it."

Unless you haven't noticed right now everyone everywhere is speculating.

Facts today will be no real correlation tomorrow.

Unless you get your information from only Fox or CNN where they will tell you they have all the answers, you'll see opinions vary and facts are simply someone's interpretation and analysis of numbers which may very well change the next month.

#50 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-01 06:34 PM | Reply

Zed stated intubations in Texas are increasing exponentially.

He must have got that from CNN.

Positive tests are increasing at alarming rates but not intubations.

So far this latest spike isn't having the extreme effects as earlier covid (so far).

#51 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-01 06:39 PM | Reply

" you'll see opinions vary and facts are simply someone's interpretation and analysis of numbers which may very well change the next month."

Unless the border centers are (amazingly hidden) Covid hotspots, it doesn't matter what some opinionated moron says. And the facts won't change tomorrow simply because the moron said it again.

#52 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-08-01 07:32 PM | Reply

"Unless you haven't noticed right now everyone everywhere is speculating."

Including racists. There's never been any evidence Mexicans bring disease here. That's been a racist trope from the get-go. It was used pretty effectively in Germany starting right around 1933. You not seeing the parallels is because you're a horrible human being.

#53 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 08:16 PM | Reply

Unless you haven't noticed right now everyone everywhere is speculating.

No. You are, at the best speculating but likely fabricating to reinforce your own biases.
I put forth a hypothesis, based on multiple sources of data and facts, that can be tested.

Positive tests are increasing at alarming rates but not intubations.

Intubations were less frequent as we learned more. You're looking for hope that Delta isn't as deadly. So far there is no evidence for that. Keep in mind Delta hasn't been here in the US all that long, and it only recently became the dominant strain (83% of new cases) - and we're talking only a couple of weeks.

Death usually occurs 23 days after showing symptoms (Alpha strain) so we'll know more in a few weeks.

#54 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-01 08:21 PM | Reply

Italics off after intubations and before the next paragraph starting with "Intubations."

#55 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-01 08:22 PM | Reply

Yav,

There is some bad possible scenarios being discussed.

I'll agree with you there.

#56 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-01 10:06 PM | Reply

Yav,

Biden is saying the media is overhyping the risk of delta for the vaccinated.

#57 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-01 10:13 PM | Reply

www.google.com

#58 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-01 10:18 PM | Reply

Actually, this time he is correct at least about the White House, but not from Biden's mouth himself. I went to your link and the first video says this:

White House frustrated with 'hyperbolic' and 'irresponsible' Delta variant coverage, sources say

The White House is frustrated with what it views as alarmist, and in some instances flat-out misleading, news coverage about the Delta variant. ...

At the heart of the matter is the news media's focus on breakthrough infections, which the CDC has said are rare.

Although the difference is night and day between Biden and Trump, now the economy is Joe's fault if the resurgence of the virus again causes disruptions. I understand why the WH doesn't want to ----- consumer confidence without solid proof copious and verified scientific findings. However, much of the reason we have so little data on breakthrough infections and the probability of shedding the delta virus by fully vaccinated folks is due to the cessation of testing and the compilation of data on the group from May forward.

But common sense is telling most of us who've taken the vaccine seriously from the start that Delta is a whole different bird, and all the work of putting over 300 million shots in arms can and likely will be compromised by the too many who refuse to who've now given the variant fertile ground from which to spread. And the mathematical likelihood that variants created through vaccinated people will soon render the current vaccines defenseless - bringing us right back to square one as the pharma companies will quickly tweak a new vaccine which will protect from Delta, but everyone will have to get shots again. And those who again refuse will start the insane cycle all over again.

Of course this is the Administration's greatest fear, but without the public taking masks more seriously than they ever have (N95's this time, cloth isn't going to be effective enough, though better than nothing at all) I just don't see how we're going to evade the freight train bearing down on us that will not be stopped unless people take affirmative action they so far simply refuse to do.

#59 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-08-01 11:14 PM | Reply

That's why I wanted Bill to provide the context, Tony. It is an excellent point, but I wanted to understand what was really being said. It took you coming back to make me reread Bill's statement in context. Thanks you both!

It's also not a surprise. That's what too many news organizations do. It gets attention. Sloppy reporting. Same with hurricanes. I criticized CNN over the ridiculous use of "0.001%" number. I also criticized and did math showing exactly this point: "Provincetown has one of the highest vaccination rates in the country. As vaccination rates increase the percentage of cases that are in vaccinated people NECESSARILY increases." Put more obviously, if 100% of the Nation is vaccinated, then the only cases of COVID we'd have would be among the vaccinated, however the number of cases would drop from tens of millions to thousands.

#60 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-02 07:37 AM | Reply

Yav,

"I need a quote and a link to verify context. Google isn't agreeing with your statement, BillJohnson."

On CNN.

I think Gupta article.

#61 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-02 07:39 AM | Reply

Thanks Bill. I think I got your point and covered it in #60? If I missed anything, let me know.

#62 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-02 07:46 AM | Reply