Saturday, July 31, 2021

New Zealand Olympic officials vowed Friday to shield transgender athlete Laurel Hubbard from a tsunami of negative social media comments as the weightlifter prepares to make history at the Tokyo Games. Hubbard is set to become the first openly transgender woman at the Olympics when she competes in the +87kg category on Monday, sparking heated online debate.

Comments

Hate the Games, not the player.

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-31 05:36 PM | Reply

I bet they come in first place and then all hell breaks loose.

South Park was right about situations like this.

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2021-07-31 06:10 PM | Reply

Does the human race need to adopt to sports?

Or does sports need to accommodate the human race?

To my eye, it seems the money of sports seems to have an issue with the human race because it has become to difficult to easily categorize humans.

The "sport" of pro-boxing has categorized the sport to accommodate humans of varying weight.

Why doesn't the "sport" of, let's say, pro-basketball categorize the sport to accommodate humans of varying height?

Sports is about the money, little else.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-31 08:33 PM | Reply

I bet they come in first place and then all hell breaks loose.

"She" already broke a record held by a real woman.

How anyone can let this go on with a straight face is beyond me. It's obvious unfairness is the height of hypocrisy.

The 43-year-old was born male and competed as a man before transitioning to female in her 30s, taking up the sport at elite level

Yea..that's fair....

/sarcasm off..

#4 | Posted by boaz at 2021-07-31 08:35 PM | Reply

Boaz, if you don't like the rules, you're free to change the channel.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-31 08:52 PM | Reply

@#4 ... How anyone can let this go on with a straight face is beyond me. ...

I agree.

The world of sports needs to change to accommodate the human race.

... It's obvious unfairness is the height of hypocrisy. ...

Yup. The unfairness seems to be built into sports.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-31 08:53 PM | Reply

#6,

So you agree there needs to be a transgender category?

#7 | Posted by boaz at 2021-07-31 09:23 PM | Reply

Let's hope they don't place.

Keep the peace.

Truthfully, it is actually unfair for this person to compete in this manner and people just don't like cheaters.

#8 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-07-31 09:23 PM | Reply

Boaz, if you don't like the rules, you're free to change the channel.

Oh, I dont watch the "woke" olympics anymore.

But women are the ones getting crapped on here..

#9 | Posted by boaz at 2021-07-31 09:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#9 ... But women are the ones getting crapped on here.. ...

You seem to be too hung up in identity politics here.

It is not the human race, as your comments seem to portray it, that is at fault here.

It is the narrowly defined categories of the sports industry that is the problem.

Those narrowly defined categories pit people against others who, as you seem to admit, are of quite differing levels.

So maybe, instead of trying to play the identity politics, maybe your comments should be chastising the sports industry for not adapting to the contestants.

The "sport" of boxing seems to be able to deal with this. Why not other sports.

Jus' askin'

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-31 09:36 PM | Reply

#11 | Posted by jakester at 2021-07-31 09:40 PM | Reply

How could this person enjoy a victory? It would be as if a Major League team high fiving each other for defeating a Little League team.

#12 | Posted by jakester at 2021-07-31 09:43 PM | Reply

@#12 ... It would be as if a Major League team high fiving each other for defeating a Little League team. ...

Exactly.

So why does the sports industry put these people to compete against each other?

Boxing has it right.

Basketball does not.

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-31 09:48 PM | Reply

"So why does the sports industry put these people to compete against each other?"

Political correctness.

#14 | Posted by jakester at 2021-07-31 10:19 PM | Reply

Your mom

#15 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-07-31 10:33 PM | Reply

@#14 ... Political correctness. ...

You seem to ascribe your political views to a situation that does not warrant such an ascription.

Boxing has dealt with this.

You really should be asking why other sports do not seem to be able to deal with the inherent differences in the capabilities of the human race.

Sports need to change, not the human race. Stop with the identity politics.

If sports wants to continue to make money off of people, then sports needs to accommodate the people they wish to exploit.

It is really as simple as that.

Fun tune...

Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band "I'm the Urban Spaceman"
www.youtube.com

#16 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-07-31 11:09 PM | Reply

"It is really as simple as that."

Why do you ask me a question, tell me I'm wrong, then answer it yourself?

Next time, skip the middle man and go straight to your answer after you ask a question.

#17 | Posted by jakester at 2021-07-31 11:54 PM | Reply

@#17 ... Why do you ask me a question, tell me I'm wrong, then answer it yourself?...

I don't see a question mark in the comment (#16) of mine that you seem to be replying to.

Can you point to the question I asked? Or be more specific to what you are replying.

thx.

#18 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-01 12:06 AM | Reply

"Can you point to the question I asked?

Post 13, obviously. Do you see the question mark there?

Congrats on the successful troll. You won't get me to bite again, though.

#19 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-01 12:17 AM | Reply

Tee hee hee.

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:21 AM | Reply

@#19 ... Post 13, obviously. Do you see the question mark there? ...

Yup.

But that is not the post you replied to in your comment I questioned. Why are you dodging things?

OK, that aside, let's get to the concerns...

My question was...

So why does the sports industry put these people to compete against each other?

Within the context of what I asked, what's your answer?

You're up...

#21 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-01 12:54 AM | Reply

De Gay's make for good Butler.

www.linkedin.com

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-01 01:02 AM | Reply

How many people would pay to see a man mercilessly beat the hell out of a woman who wanted to compete as a man?!

#23 | POSTED BY FSUKNOWIT

The far-Right would legalize gladiatorial exhibitions. Do it in a heartbeat, especially for the money. You people have a unique perspective on violence and death.

#24 | Posted by Zed at 2021-08-01 10:54 AM | Reply

Hubbard at 43 is significantly older than other qualifiers and performance declines with age. The scientist Dr Emma Hilton has shown that controlling for age, Hubbard still lifts within the male range and way outside the female range.

But that's ok, right liberals?

#25 | Posted by boaz at 2021-08-01 12:33 PM | Reply

Boaz,
Why are you asking liberals?
Your beef is with the International Olympics Committee.
They set the rules. Don't like it? Take it up with them.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:36 PM | Reply

Say it, Snoofy,

What's happening with this is wrong. Say it.

And if you say it's right, which I dont know how you can, you are a liar. This Hubbard is a man, competing against women. Do you think that's right Snoofy?

Everyone, lets watch Snoofy dance around this answer.

#27 | Posted by boaz at 2021-08-01 12:39 PM | Reply

"My beef is with liberals because you, people like you, wont raise the alarm to put pressure on them."

Alarm?
What alarm, specifically, needs to be raised here?
I don't have a dog in this race. Apparently you do. That's your concern, not mine.
Now, if you'd like to try to convince me that something bad is going to happen as a result of allowing transgenders in sports, I yield the floor.

#28 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:42 PM | Reply

"This Hubbard is a man, competing against women. Do you think that's right Snoofy?"

By your definition she's a man. By the definition of the rules committee, she's a woman.

Do you think it's right that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, but still lost the election? Those are the rules.

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:44 PM | Reply

By your definition she's a man.

ROTFLMAO

#30 | Posted by boaz at 2021-08-01 12:45 PM | Reply

And you saying "Dems the rules" is a cowards way out..

You are a coward.

#31 | Posted by boaz at 2021-08-01 12:45 PM | Reply

"And you saying "Dems the rules" is a cowards way out.."

Apply this precept to the electoral college and let me know what you find.

#32 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:46 PM | Reply

What alarm, specifically, needs to be raised here?

#33 | Posted by boaz at 2021-08-01 12:47 PM | Reply

#34 | Posted by boaz at 2021-08-01 12:47 PM | Reply

It sure seems like it isn't fair to the competitors who were born female! But, like I said, I don't have a dog in this race. I'm not really sure why I should care either way. It's not my concern.

What is it you like to tell people? Mind your own business. How is this your business, are you a woman who is a competitive weightlifter?

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:49 PM | Reply

"That men, who are stronger, faster and bigger than born women are competing against them unfairly."

Okay, but that doesn't alarm me.

Now, if you want to argue this is driven by misogyny and an attempt to marginalize women, like I said: Go for it. That could get some traction with me.

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:51 PM | Reply

"And BTW, if it's unfair to take drugs to enhance your ability, it should be unfair to use drugs to decrease it as well."

I think that would be an elegant solution to the problem.
No hormones, and no hormone blockers. Of course, without a sex chromosome requirement as well, she'd just crush the other women even more.

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:53 PM | Reply

But, like I said, I don't have a dog in this race.

It's about integrity Snoofy, Integrity.

#38 | Posted by boaz at 2021-08-01 12:56 PM | Reply

Boaz,
Why are you asking liberals?

Because if it were up to conservatives, transgender people wouldn't be allowed to exist.

They'd be sent to camps/medical facilities and forced to live life as heterosexuals, or commit suicide.

#39 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-08-01 01:07 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

Speaking of liberals, this guy is still pretending to be one.

USER INFO

JAKESTER

Jake Milliner

Seniority: 255

Party: Other

Ideology: Liberal

#40 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-08-01 01:10 PM | Reply

"It's about integrity Snoofy, Integrity."

For you, it doesn't stop at sports.

You stand against accepting trans people as the gender they identify as in every aspect of life.

The Olympics is just your latest chance to play the victim, because transgender people exist and aren't shunned like freaks as you think they should be.

This really gets to self-determination. You don't believe in it, when it means people have the right to choose their own gender.

#41 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 01:18 PM | Reply

Rated 16th in the world

Not exactly dominating, is it

But speaking of "integrity"

The article is about cyber bullying, of which the threads author ignores in favor of trans bashing

I don't know why he doesn't take up this issue with the Olympic committee who established the criteria, of which this competitor met and was approved to compete

Taking it to the committee would be an example of "integrity", taking it to an anonymous blog in an effort to make a stink, not so much.

#42 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-01 03:18 PM | Reply

Boaz is so upset by this he decided to address his concerns in the most ineffectual way possible

Whining anonymously on the internet

Speaks volumes on how boaz takes care of bidness, (h/t Herman Cain)

#43 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-01 04:00 PM | Reply

www.dailymail.co.uk

#44 | Posted by boaz at 2021-08-02 09:38 AM | Reply

"condemning XY competing against XX should not be confined to trolls. The entire world should be outraged."

I remember when people were outraged at Andy Kaufman wrastling women. Except in that case, he was the one who was trolling.

#45 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-02 09:54 AM | Reply