Sunday, August 01, 2021

Dolly Parton ... revealed this week how she spent her money from the songwriting credit for "I Will Always Love You," covered by Whitney Houston for the 1992 film "The Bodyguard": She invested in a building located in a historically Black Nashville neighborhood. "It was a whole strip mall, and I thought this is the perfect place for me to be, considering it was Whitney, so I just thought, This is great, I'm just going to be down here with her people, who are my people as well,' " Parton said.

Comments

The first time she heard Houston's version of her song, she had to pull over to avoid crashing her car because she was so overwhelmed.

"I was shot so full of adrenaline and energy, I had to pull off, because I was afraid that I would wreck, so I pulled over quick as I could to listen to that whole song," Parton told Oprah Winfrey in a 2020 interview. "I could not believe how she did that. I mean, how beautiful it was that my little song had turned into that, so that was a major, major thing."

Parton purchased the 6,317-square-foot Mission-style complex in Nashville in February 1997, according to property records. David Ewing, a longtime Nashville historian, told The Washington Post that Parton's investment came when many recording artists did not look toward the Sevier Park neighborhood, now known as 12 South, to set up their businesses.

"We're just hearing now, because of the Black Lives Matter movement, how down for the cause Dolly has always been - even when others in the music industry weren't," Ewing said. "Dolly Parton could have built and bought any piece of property in Nashville. But you would have to have gone out of your way to buy in the 12 South neighborhood, because no Realtor would have shown Dolly that lot to buy."

At the time, the neighborhood was "African American funeral homes, businesses and churches," Ewing said. Now, 12 South is one of the hottest neighborhoods in Nashville, he said.

"But it really kind of all began to be put on the map when Dolly quietly invested in the area," Ewing said.

Dolly Parton - Soul Sister. Who'd ever thunk it? Bless you Dolly for your lifetime of great works for all Americans.

Evidently, the only thing bigger than your ...errr, talent, is your humongous loving heart.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-07-31 07:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

And her music is pretty good too!

#2 | Posted by horstngraben at 2021-07-31 08:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Dolly Parton is a national treasure.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-07-31 08:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

What a waste. She should have spent that money for a rocket ride into space. That's what all the cool rich folks are doing these days.

#4 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-07-31 09:44 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

If Dolly were to invest in a ride to space it would be used as a prize for a science fair for disadvantaged kids.

#5 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-07-31 09:47 PM | Reply

Fat skank

#6 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-07-31 10:32 PM | Reply

Que?

#7 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-07-31 11:26 PM | Reply

I've loved Dolly most of my life and still do love her music. Whitney's loss was tragic. Losses like hers just break my heart. Nice to see some very successful musicians using their wealth to do good for others. When I was a young teenager, it the early days of the Beatles, much to the ridicule from my brothers who were older I was a big fan, every Sunday of Grand Old Opry. I didn't even understand what was so funny about it but my brothers sure thought it was. I think I inherited my Mother's love of country music and my kids inherited their love for it from me.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-01 08:47 AM | Reply

Hor,

"Dolly is an exemplary example of how to celebrate white southern culture without being an ignorant racist pig."

Don't you think there's more southerners who aren't racist than just her?

The KKK era is over except for in the mind of perpetuators of hate...on both sides.

#9 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-01 10:29 AM | Reply

The KKK era is over

#9 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

You say this when there is Klan where I live.

#10 | Posted by Zed at 2021-08-01 10:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"The KKK era is over"

They traded in their Confederate flags for Back The Blue flags.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 10:53 AM | Reply

Danni,

Country music has a history that is blended from a variety of cultures...migrants from the British Isles and African slaves (basically everyone who settled in the south however they got here)

And...yes...racism is woven into its history.

But so is Christianity.

Christianity has been a strong influence of the country music genre.

Dolly Parton is an unapologetic Christian and I would guess has been the cornerstone of her life.

#12 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-01 11:00 AM | Reply

Zed,

I didn't say the klan is gone...but they are losing their mojo.

Don't forget the KKK isn't just in the south.

#13 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-01 11:02 AM | Reply

"Dolly Parton is an unapologetic Christian"

Well she certainly doesn't have to apologize for being a loudmouth about it.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 12:38 PM | Reply

This is nothing special for Dolly Parton. You could do "Chuck Norris" jokes about her level of kindness. She's a millionaire that could easily be a billionaire but instead constantly uses her money to make the world a better place.

Here's Dollyism in a nutshell when talking about the "Dixie Stampede:" "When they said 'Dixie' is an offensive word, I thought, 'Well, I don't wanna offend anybody. This is a business. We'll just call it The Stampede,'" Parton said of the name change. "And you just do stuff not realizing, but as soon as you realize that it is a problem, you should fix it. Don't be a dumbass."

#15 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-08-01 01:40 PM | Reply

Y'all see why I call her Saint Dolly?

#16 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-01 01:58 PM | Reply

"They traded in their Confederate flags for Back The Blue flags."

I thought the Klan didn't like black people.

But they're OK with black people...so long as they're cops?

#17 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-08-01 02:41 PM | Reply

First, she brought education and opportunity to Sevierville, where thousands are now employed, creating educational opportunities and scholarships, and kicked off massive investments in what was a very poor area.

12 South is a booming area! 10-15 years ago you could buy a house there for well under $100,000 No more. I started eating in the area when Albert's, a soul food restaurant, was the only restaurant in the neighborhood. My new favorite place to eat the past several years in the 12 South area is called Edley's. I take one of my dogs there for lunch on their outdoor deck. They supply water bowls for fur kids too. He likes their fish platter a lot :-)

#18 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-08-01 04:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Snoofy,

"Well she certainly doesn't have to apologize for being a loudmouth about it."

She puts her money where her mouth is.

#19 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-01 08:27 PM | Reply

Bill if all Christians acted like Dolly you would have to defend Christianity.

#20 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-08-01 09:31 PM | Reply

Dolly Parton is a national treasure.

#3 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

2 treasures in one!

Definitely a Twinpac.

#21 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-08-02 10:30 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

And Tao in #20 obviously means would NOT.

#22 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-08-02 10:31 AM | Reply

"The KKK era is over"

They traded in their Confederate flags for Back The Blue flags.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-01 10:53 AM | Reply | Flag

And Trump flags.

#23 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-08-02 11:41 AM | Reply

The KKK era is over

#9 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

Blood and soil begs to differ.

#24 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-08-02 11:42 AM | Reply

Nixon,

White supremacy still exists but KKK membership is not what it once was.

Also we aren't going to see the lynchings like decades ago.

The level of prejudice against blacks is simply not what it once was.

It's in liberals best interest to build it up making it sound like nothing is changing and teaching blacks they are seen by all conservatives the same.

#25 | Posted by billjohnson at 2021-08-02 03:24 PM | Reply

Nixon,

White supremacy still exists but KKK membership is not what it once was.

Also we aren't going to see the lynchings like decades ago.

The level of prejudice against blacks is simply not what it once was.

#26 | Posted by billjohnson at 2021-08-02 03:24 PM | Reply

Thanks yes. That's what I get for posting right before going to sleep.

#27 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-08-02 04:17 PM | Reply

I'm glad there are southerners like Dolly who can show other southerners that they can be something more than just a bunch of brainless -----.

#28 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2021-08-02 05:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

teaching blacks that all conservatives are the same.

(I meant to say)

#29 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-02 06:19 PM | Reply

Tao,

I knew what you meant.

#30 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-08-02 06:23 PM | Reply

What a bunch of -------- comments. Like southerners are The only racist people. Floyd was suffocated till death in Minneapolis.

#31 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-08-02 08:12 PM | Reply

"Floyd was suffocated till death in Minneapolis."

That was race related? It wasn't because Floyd had COVID?

#32 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-03 12:34 AM | Reply

That was race related? It wasn't because Floyd had COVID?

#32 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2021-08-03 12:34 AM

Having trouble keeping up again?

#33 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-08-03 06:03 PM | Reply