Sunday, August 01, 2021

It's hard to imagine how revolutionary MTV was when it launched Aug. 1, 1981. Forty years before we could summon music videos on demand, MTV was the destination for the latest, coolest and best of music on TV. The premise was simple: Be television's version of radio.

Comments

It was so cool.

sadly it declined.

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-01 04:17 PM | Reply

Wow, 40 years. The first seven or so were pretty cool. I was especially fond of "120 Minutes," which featured up-and-coming and offbeat artists, some of whom I knew personally!

#2 | Posted by cbob at 2021-08-01 04:23 PM | Reply

Thanks for 15 years of music.

#3 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-01 06:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The channel started out as a way to advertise music for record sales, but then (surprise!) the record companies got greedy and raised the license fees. So they started putting on game shows and then "reality TV" shows like "The Real World" to increase ratings, which led to the death spiral of music television channels and numerous other specialty channels replacing most of their content with garbage RTV. YouTube was probably the final nail in the coffin, since now you can stream videos of almost any song (even if it doesn't have a video). Also lots of great history content that's even better than anything that was on the History Channel before they went to crap.

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-01 07:06 PM | Reply

How would you know, moron?

#6 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-01 08:42 PM | Reply

I want my
I want my
I want my...

#7 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-01 09:12 PM | Reply

When I lived overseas as a kid somebody would tape MTV and send it overseas. Just put a 6 hour VHS in and let it go. I've seen the MTV flag on the moon a lot.

Music was much more about music back then. One of the shows was "Battle of the Basement Bands" and people called in to vote for their favorite band. They were willing to showcase new talent. They didn't have much content.

First time I saw Jon Stewart was on MTV. But it didn't take long for it to "go corporate."

The last time I really watched MTV regularly was to see Yo MTV Raps. About 25 years ago I guess. It was definitely corporate by then, but there was still good stuff on Yo MTV Raps. Then even that fell off.

Video Killed The Radio Star was the first video you played, MTV. Congratulations, I guess.

Happy Extinction!

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-02 01:07 AM | Reply

Even Doug saw where MTV was headed, and he was like "I'm outta heeeeeeeere."

#9 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-02 11:07 AM | Reply

Do you guys remember a British show that played on early MTV called 'The Young Ones'?

Man, I loved that show.

#10 | Posted by kudzu at 2021-08-02 11:17 AM | Reply

"I've told you a million times never exaggerate!"

#11 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-02 12:11 PM | Reply

Once upon a time there was an artist alone
His house had many canvases
But he loved the actress
The one who loved flowers

He then sold his house
Sold paintings and shelter
And with all the money bought
A whole sea of flowers

A million, million, million scarlet roses
From the window... you see
Who is in love... and in earnest
He will turn his life into flowers for you

In the morning you will stand at the window:
Are you out of your mind?
As a continuation of a dream -
The square is full of flowers

The soul will grow colder
"What kind of rich man is weird here?"
And under the window, barely breathing
The poor artist stands

A million, million, million scarlet roses
From the window... you see
Who is in love... and in earnest
He will turn his life into flowers for you

- a song you'll never hear on MTV, based on a true story

#12 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-02 11:53 PM | Reply