Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Carol C. Lam, former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of California: Prosecutors know they should bring criminal charges only if they believe they can convict the defendant; to operate under any other standard would be unethical. That is true no matter who the defendant is, but in the case of a high-profile defendant, prosecutors aren't likely to file charges unless they are as certain as humanly possible that they will be able to obtain a conviction. And because prosecutors must convince an unanimous jury of 12 ordinary citizens that a defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, bringing a politically charged or divisive case puts that certainty further out of reach.

Comments

I have wagers out with a few friends on this question: Will Trump Ever Be Sentenced to Prison?

For me to win these wagers, Trump will have to be dead and buried. I expect to be paid, provided I outlive Trump.

#1 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-08-02 04:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Here's another good one - Will tRump Die of Natural Causes?

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-02 04:47 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-08-02 04:55 PM | Reply

...he has much more exposure due to Hunter.

Is this the multi-user sock puppet again or just one of the regulars?

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-02 11:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

One of Daddy Vlad's troll farm residents. Likely the same person lol that plays Sheeple or mAndrea here.

#6 | Posted by a_monson at 2021-08-03 01:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

No. Biden would pardon him first.

#7 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-03 05:47 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

If Biden were younger, he has much more exposure due to Hunter. But, given his failing mental health, even he will be impossible to force to stand trial.

#4 | Posted by justvaxxed

Found the OAN sucker.

Tell us what those liars told you hunter biden did that is worse than colluding with russia to get elected, blackmailing ukraine to get re elected, killing half a million americans with lies and incompetence, and attempting to replace democracy with fascism when he lost.

#8 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-08-03 02:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

But Mcconnell said that not impeaching trump does not mean he got away with anything, it just meant it was up to the legal system to deliver justice. (before helping trump escape the legal system too)

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-08-03 02:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Wake up and smell the coffee my fellow liberals. It is more likely that Trump will once again be sworn in as POTUS than that he will ever be sentenced to prison.

#10 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-08-03 03:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#10 | Posted by moder8

And we can thank biden, garland, and manchin for that. When american democracy ends, it will be because dems allowed republicans to end it, instead of defending it from them.

#11 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-08-03 03:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Normal clear thinking Americans don't put ex presidents in prison.
This a pipe dream filled with misinformation, which not encouraged here.

#12 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-08-04 07:47 AM | Reply

Yeah, well, Donnie may be the exception that proves the rule because, unlike Nixon, Donnie can't say, "I am not a crook!"

#13 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-08-04 07:52 AM | Reply

"Donnie can't say, "I am not a crook!"
#13 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY"

Sure he can LOL!
DJT is the consummate troll. I'd bet someone actually tried drinking bleach.
Wake up people.

#14 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-08-04 08:12 AM | Reply

Donnie someday in the not so distant future: "Lots of people are saying I'm not a crook!"

#15 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-08-04 08:21 AM | Reply

"So, this cop, a big tough-looking guy with tears in his eyes, came up to me and said, 'Sir! I know you are not a crook! Everybody knows you are not a crook!'"

#16 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-08-04 08:24 AM | Reply

"Normal clear thinking Americans don't put ex presidents in prison.
This a pipe dream filled with misinformation, which not encouraged here."

#17 | Posted by dibblda at 2021-08-04 11:42 AM | Reply

"Normal clear thinking Americans don't think of their presidents as infallible god-emperors like Republicans do but as temporary custodians of the executive office who are subject to US law."

2008 and 2012 called, they want the Democrat Messiah back because of your statement. If it is wrong to think of POTUS's as infallible god-emperors, that's great. I agree. Why don't you feel that way when it is your party doing it?

Again, this just comes right back to hypocrisy. There are a LOT of Dems who should be in jail, just like there are a lot of Reps who should be in jail. But until either party starts holding their own people accountable, there is a fat chance in hell they are going to be able to get someone from another party to be held accountable. Both parties have little control over the other party, but do you know what they have a lot of control over? Their own party. So why not clean out your own house first since it would be rather easy. And then, when there is nothing left that you can be hypocritical about, start calling out the other party.

It's the same story over and over and over and over again. Nothing changes because Dems read what I just posted and take it as an attack they have to defend against instead of actually accepting reality and doing something about it.

#18 | Posted by humtake at 2021-08-04 12:05 PM | Reply

I don't want him imprisoned I want him living off social security.

#19 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-08-04 12:05 PM | Reply

Can an insurrectionist change its stripes?

I think not.

Trumpy will end up in a prison of his own making. He will never be able to walk the earth freely. Without protection.

#20 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-08-04 04:08 PM | Reply

I don't want him imprisoned. I want him entombed.

#21 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-04 05:02 PM | Reply

"I agree. Why don't you feel that way when it is your party doing it?"

Find a statement, any statement at all, of me backing something illegal that a Democrat did and then we can talk. For that matter why do you assume that I am a dyed in the wool Democrat?

#22 | Posted by dibblda at 2021-08-04 07:08 PM | Reply