Monday, August 02, 2021

No, this is not light from inside the black hole. from what I can grasp the light reaches around the gravity well.

Comments

The gravity of the black hole "bends" the light coming from behind it.

Good to see Einstein's theory being confirmed by observational data.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-02 04:54 PM | Reply

"The gravity of the black hole "bends" the light coming from behind it."

I hear Nas X can do that too.

#2 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-02 09:37 PM | Reply

"The gravity of the black hole "bends" the light coming from behind it."

This is not true. Gravity warps space and light is taking the shortest path between two points in that warped space, just as an airplane taking a great circle route is traveling the shortest distance.

#3 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-02 09:45 PM | Reply

@#3

Your explanation is correct. I was more concerned that it seems to confirm Einstein's theory than the precise statement of the theory.

Thanks for the correction.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-02 09:49 PM | Reply

I don't see how this is a big deal. Einstein's general theory of relativity was first proven on a practical basis when the light from a star behind the sun was seen during a total solar eclipse in 1919. The experiment was repeated many times after this one.

#5 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-02 09:49 PM | Reply

Gravitational lensing (Einsten cross) is another example of this phenomenon and has been documented vastly.

#6 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-02 09:53 PM | Reply

@#5 ... I don't see how this is a big deal. ...

I always like it when observations confirm theories, especially when black holes are involved. Black holes are cool and I think we still have much to learn about their effects upon the immediate space around them.

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-02 10:10 PM | Reply

Yeah, black holes are really cool...until they come for your truck, your stash, and your old lady. What were we talking about?

#8 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-02 10:20 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"light is taking the shortest path"

I believe it is the path of shortest time. Not the path of shortest distance, which "shortest path" suggests in normal speech.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-03 12:27 AM | Reply

"So when there's a confirmation of theory such as this confirmation, it's not a ho-hum thing for me."

I guess my point is (which I didn't state well) is that light has been observed that had a massive object otherwise blocking it. This was first observed in 1919 when a star that should have been hidden behind the sun was seen due to gravitational distortion of space.

Granted, a star obviously isn't as massive as a black hole, but the phenomenon is the same.

I share your fascination with black holes. I wish I had the mathematical knowledge to grok them on more than a layman's level.

#11 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-03 12:39 PM | Reply

"Black holes did not exist in the General Theory of Relativity. That came later in the Special Theory. Einstein did not understand the scope of the universe when he did the General Theory so there was not need for black holes then."

You have it backwards. The Special theory of relativity was proposed in 1905. It has nothing to do with gravity and its relativistic effects.

The General theory of relativity was proposed 11 years later in 1916. It addresses gravity and its relativistic effects. But it breaks down beyond the event horizon of a black hole.

#12 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-03 12:46 PM | Reply