Monday, August 09, 2021

At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves.

Comments

More from the article...

... National veal and egg producers are optimistic they can meet the new standards, but only 4% of hog operations now comply with the new rules. Unless the courts intervene or the state temporarily allows non-compliant meat to be sold in the state, California will lose almost all of its pork supply, much of which comes from Iowa, and pork producers will face higher costs to regain a key market.

Animal welfare organizations for years have been pushing for more humane treatment of farm animals but the California rules could be a rare case of consumers clearly paying a price for their beliefs.

With little time left to build new facilities, inseminate sows and process the offspring by January, it's hard to see how the pork industry can adequately supply California, which consumes roughly 15% of all pork produced in the country.

"We are very concerned about the potential supply impacts and therefore cost increases," said Matt Sutton, the public policy director for the California Restaurant Association....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-08 12:27 PM | Reply

Mon dieu!

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-08 01:41 PM | Reply

What will burger joints do to pump up the fat and sodium content of their fare?

#3 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-08 01:42 PM | Reply

Nope.

Don't like this.

Not one bit I tell you.

#4 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-08-08 01:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

About time.
~ Porky

#5 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-08-09 07:03 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Make your own.

Not that hard.

Tastes WAAAAYY better.

And is as meaty/fatty/salty as you want.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-09 03:33 PM | Reply

If Bacon disappears, I'm afraid we'll lose all of our connections.

#7 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-09 03:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I had my first BLT of the summer with my own tomatoes... I wait for it every year. I was late this year because we eat so much healthier and vegetarian often. I rarely have bacon - but twice in one weekend is unprecedented in my recent memory. Twice in one month for that matter.

Yes too much of our meat and eggs is raised in truly horrifyingly cruel conditions that the Republicans in red farm states have only acted to protect by making filming of these conditions illegal. i.e. Making criminals out of those seeking to provide humane conditions.

I try to do better like grass fed free range beef and pasture raised eggs. The issue is when eating out options are still limited. What I find amazing is in the past year the cost of "regular" beef has flown sky high yet, the price from the farmer I work with bumped up about 10%. The only reason he did that (and he was honest about it) was beef was so high. Still less than the regular super market fare for grass fed, free range and antibiotic/hormone free... (Not to mention the premium they charge for what I am getting.)

#8 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-08-09 04:27 PM | Reply

Food industry regulations are always a burden on the ranchers and growers and they always complain.
Then they find a way to pay for it with higher prices and do whatever it is to comply.

Rinse and repeat no matter which industry gets regulated.

#9 | Posted by randomcanyon at 2021-08-09 05:26 PM | Reply

They had years to prepare.

#10 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-09 05:46 PM | Reply

This reminds me of Texas specifying what should be in student textbooks...

Conservative activists in Texas have shaped the history all American children learn
www.washingtonpost.com

...President Trump wants more "patriotic" American history curriculums. He's not the first to try. Americans have long been anxious over what schools teach, and this has produced fierce ideological battles over what fills textbooks.

Many Americans believe students directly absorb whatever is written in their textbooks. That makes the stakes over what gets into these books on science, health or history immensely high " an entire generation of Americans stands to be indoctrinated. That perspective, at least, has been the sense of conservative activists in Texas, who for decades have campaigned for more "patriotic" books to ensure the next generation of voters receive, as they see it, the right message.

Since the late 1960s, these activists have become increasingly adept at shaping the character of school history texts. Because of the size of Texas' textbook market, their activism influenced what was taught to all American children. For publishers, it was not economically viable to write one book to appease campaigners in Texas and a different version to sell elsewhere. The result: Students across the country got books that told U.S. history from the perspective of a small group of White, God-fearing, conservative Texans. Over 20 years, textbook activists shifted the meaning of "patriotic history" from a postwar liberal consensus to a right-wing, colorblind, heteronormative, nationalist retelling of the American story " one that persists today....

[emphasis mine]

...Because of the size of Texas' textbook market, their activism influenced what was taught to all American children...

Yeah, Capitalism.

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-09 10:05 PM | Reply

I prefer to outsource meat murder. I love having my own chickens for eggs though.

#12 | Posted by bored at 2021-08-09 10:28 PM | Reply

#12 , my son has chickens for eggs too. The most amazing thing to me is if a different species of birds tries to eat their food they will kill them as violently as a cat. Yet the catch ,neutered and released feral cats on my property will lie there while the birds eat their food.

#13 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-09 10:51 PM | Reply

Those same feral cats that let the birds eat their food would shred me to ribbons if i came too close.

But folks, catch neuter and release the ferals in your neighborhood. I haven't seen a kitten in about 7 years. Anen.

#14 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-09 11:01 PM | Reply

But folks, catch neuter and release the ferals in your neighborhood.

Winter takes care of that in my world.

#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-09 11:22 PM | Reply

Coyotes take care of them in my folks neighborhood.

#16 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-09 11:28 PM | Reply

"Have You Seen Socks?"

No, but pretty sure I know a coyote that has.

#17 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-09 11:35 PM | Reply

"Winter takes care of that in my world."

Here in S. Florida the cats survive winter but the iguanas not so much.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-10 11:42 AM | Reply

So I get it, California is 15% of the market but if you really don't want to comply just shut them out. My bet is after a few weeks or even days with no pork products going to California the people will be screaming at the top of their pork free lungs... Then maybe, just maybe things will change... But can you imagine? 300 pigs in a 20 sq ft enclosure?

#19 | Posted by OhReally at 2021-08-10 01:41 PM | Reply

"oh noes the bacon"

My god you're all pathetic :)

#20 | Posted by billy_boy at 2021-08-10 09:21 PM | Reply

"It's the Eastern-most in quality, the Western-most in flavor!"

#21 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-11 02:18 AM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY BRUCEAZ

No no no. CNR does NOT work.

#22 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-11 02:24 AM | Reply

"No no no. CNR does NOT work."

Speaking from experience?

#23 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-11 03:09 AM | Reply

I'm sure there's some angle here I'm not seeing...

But no, it's not "worked in my experience."

Several neighborhood fanatics of CNR keep "community cat colonies" that never shrink and always seem to be adding new members far sooner than they lose them. Whenever a feral shows up somewhere else they're all "don't call such and such...they'll just kill it...CNR works" and the colony grows again.

Just trap and kill the -------.

#24 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-11 03:27 AM | Reply

The law of unintended consequences strikes again. I hope all of their spikes of pulled pork, bacon, and ham just disappears. The rest of the country can continue to enjoy the goodness.

#25 | Posted by ABH at 2021-08-11 07:40 AM | Reply

#25 That attitude exemplifies why the human race will continue to destroy the human race through pollution and global warming.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-11 07:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Just trap and kill the -------."

Yeah...they's folks what say that about certain groups of human beans, too....

#27 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-08-11 08:54 AM | Reply

Yeah...they's folks what say that about certain groups of human beans, too....

#27 | POSTED BY ANGRYDAD

Is there a point here?

#28 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-11 02:22 PM | Reply

The point fella, is that you're an as*hol*. Feral cats are not the real issue here,but a lack of basic humanity is. Go fondle your Toys.

#29 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2021-08-11 02:46 PM | Reply

#29 | POSTED BY EFFETEPOSER

------- or not, one solves the immediate problem, the other doesn't and that problem is one that likely won't ever be solved (current events being a big clue).

If it makes people feel better, they can always say they were relocated...
...to a farm
...in upstate new york
...yeah, thats the ticket....upstate new york

#30 | Posted by JasonM at 2021-08-11 05:34 PM | Reply