Monday, August 09, 2021

Police handcuffed a Black man, his teen son and his real estate agent as they were touring a home for sale in a Michigan neighborhood after a white resident falsely accused them of breaking into the house.

Comments

Roy Thorne, 46, and his 15-year-old son, Samuel, had been searching for a new house in the Grand Rapids area for several months with Eric Brown, a Realtor who is also Black. On Aug. 1, they met Brown at a brick two-story house for sale in the suburb of Wyoming. Samuel was the first to notice police officers surrounding the home, his father told The Washington Post. Samuel alerted his father, who then looked outside and saw there were several armed officers communicating using only signals.

On Saturday, police released video recorded by officers' body-worn cameras and a patrol car's dashboard camera that showed the three males being handcuffed after officers ordered them to come outside with their hands in the air. Brown, Thorne and his son can be seen complying with the officers' orders and were subsequently released about 10 minutes after being detained. The officers can be heard telling Brown, Thorne and his son that a neighbor had reported them to police on suspicion of breaking and entering the home. A person was arrested in the house on July 24 for breaking into the vacant home, a Wyoming police captain told WOOD-TV.

The neighbor told police on Aug. 1 that the same person had returned to the house in the same car they had been driving previously, which was a Mercedes. But when police arrived, a Chevrolet and Hyundai were parked in front of the house.

Several officers can be heard apologizing in the video after releasing Brown, Thorne and his son. The Wyoming Department of Public Safety defended the officers' handling of the situation and said race "played no role" in their response to the 911 call.

The same spokesperson also declared that "fat meat isn't greasy" and that "the Pope isn't Catholic."

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-08-08 03:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

memegenerator.net

#2 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-08 03:45 PM | Reply

What a great lesson to teach a fifteen year old black boy!

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-08 03:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 | Posted by sentinel

It's not race baiting to report these types of occurrences.

But I know, SSentinel, pointing these things out is racist in and of itself, right?

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-08 06:18 PM | Reply

Honestly it sounds like the police handled it fairly well. It's the neighbor who called the cops that is a problem.

I hope there was something wrong with the house so they didn't want buy it anyway since I doubt they want to move to that neighborhood now.

#5 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-08-08 08:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Fairly well? They cuffed three people who were doing nothing wrong, weren't armed, and weren't a threat to anyone. This could have been handled without the police acting like thugs.

Here's a clue: When you end up apologizing repeatedly for what you did, you didn't handle it fairly well.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-08 08:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"The house recently had a squatter. The squatter's black Mercedes resembled Brown's Black Genesis."
"Officers were aware that a previous burglary had occurred at this same address on July 24 and that a suspect was arrested and charged for unlawful entry during that incident. The caller indicated that the previously arrested suspect had returned and again entered the house."
www.nbcnews.com

This is what the police officers on the scene had to go on. Yes, OP and #4 in this thread are definitely race baiting.

#7 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-08 09:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I don't see how a squatter requires an armed response either.

Maybe someone would like to explain it to me.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-08 09:36 PM | Reply

"The caller indicated that the previously arrested suspect had returned and again entered the house."

Well then the caller lied.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-08 09:37 PM | Reply

This is what the police officers on the scene had to go on.

The police know the difference between a black Mercedes Benz that they impounded 7 days previously and had the license plate number for and a brown Hyundai. All they had to do is run the plates and they would have found out the 911 caller was wrong that the prior burglar had returned. Why didn't they take this single simple step?

Why do facts involving race compel you to assign any reporting of them to race baiting? No wonder you fell down the CRT rabbit hole.

#10 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-08-08 09:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Why didn't they take this single simple step?"

Because it's more fun to play Cowboys and Indians.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-08 09:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

The police know the difference between a black Mercedes Benz...

I was wondering about that. The three point star is pretty universally recognized.

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-08 09:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

In all fairness, the top of the line older Genesis does look like a Mercedes. But they still should have run the plate, it only takes a second with their computer in the car.

And cops need to stop taking 911 information as inviolate until they learn it for themselves. There was no active threat to any other humans, so time was not an issue.

#13 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-08-08 09:54 PM | Reply

In all fairness, the top of the line older Genesis does look like a Mercedes.

Well, that is all racist cops need to unlawfully handcuff three black men.

I just got a facebook request from a friend to join a "Back the Blue" group. I told him to stop sending me --- like this.

#14 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-08-09 10:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's the neighbor who called the cops that is a problem.

So I guess now no one can ever call the police when a black person is involved?

This could have been handled without the police acting like thugs.

Thugs? They were responding to a reported break in. The cops responded fine.

#15 | Posted by boaz at 2021-08-09 10:03 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

"The Wyoming Department of Public Safety defended the officers' handling of the situation and said race "played no role" in their response to the 911 call. "

Rigggghhhtttt.

Dollars to donuts that if the three were white there would not have been anyone handcuffed.

#16 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-08-09 10:03 AM | Reply

Ssentinel's grandpa fell out of a guard tower at Treblinka and the family hasn't been the same since.

#17 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-08-09 10:45 AM | Reply

The cops responded fine.

#15 | POSTED BY BOAZ

They didn't shoot indiscriminately into the house this time? Yeah. Thx for not killing everyone involved. I guess that's an improvement.

I bet if it was you being handcuffed and falsely arrested you would be singing a different tune tho.

How conservotards be so lacking in empathy is beyond me. Perhaps someday someone will do a scientific study to find out why that is.

#18 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-08-09 11:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Police... I find it hard to fault them but I follow what others are saying. It also had a very recent history with squatting no matter whether or not it was the same person. I don't know how these things work with Realtors. Probably a pocket listing too - i.e. just came up and didn't have a sign out front as houses are still selling like mad.

The Neighbor... Well I don't know exactly where in Wyoming this was but most of Wyoming is pretty lily white. Like crisp on a sunny day white. The whole area's busy body Dutch Reformed land. I would appreciate them looking out for my property if I knew them but I would also tell them if I was putting it up for sale and had any sort of relationship.

#19 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-08-09 12:07 PM | Reply

Reminds me of this article...

Revelation of a Racist Property Restriction Leads to New State Law in Connecticut (July 2021)
today.uconn.edu

...When David K. Ware '76 JD, '20 LLM learned his childhood home was in a development that had been intended only for whites, he decided to do something about racist real estate clauses still on the books....

"When I went over to see him, he showed me a copy of a deed in the chain of title for his house in Manchester, which is the only house he has ever owned and the house I grew up in," Ware says. "The old deed that he showed me had one of these restrictive race-based covenants."...

...F. No person of any race other than white shall occupy any building or any lot, except that this covenant shall not prevent occupancy by domestic servants of a different race domiciled with an owner or tenant....

Ware continues, "He showed this to me, and that's what really sparked my interest. I said to myself, I wonder just how prevalent these things are, and what properties they affect, and what their history is, and what's up with these things?'"

With the support of his professors, Ware dove deeply into the history of the development of his father's house, as well as other developments in Manchester. He found three subdivisions -- the Greenway development, where his father lives; the Lakewood Circle development; and the Bowers Farm development -- that were founded in the 1940s, which all contained racially restrictive language in their property records....

#20 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-09 12:10 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2021-08-09 11:14 AM | REPLY

The lack of empathy shown by some on the left here is constantly on display...I can't believe you're missing it.

#21 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-08-09 12:11 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

19 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE AT 2021-08-09 12:07 PM | FLAG:
(CHOOSE)

This was in Michigan; Wyoming is the name of the neighborhood.
The police were professional but I still see it as profiling. I get that they were responding to a 911 call but the caller already misidentified the vehicle...what else were they wrong about? As it turns out, everything.

#22 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-08-09 12:29 PM | Reply

#22 | Posted by ScottE

Yes I know that and I was talking about Wyoming MI. I was just in Wyoming MI on Saturday visiting my cousins. Thanks for the clarification...

#23 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-08-09 12:31 PM | Reply

The House had a big ------- For Sale sign out front. You can see it in the picture with one guy getting handcuffed.

And the neighbor and police respond like this to people visiting the house? They ASSUME they are breaking in?

Yep, race played NO PART at all...

#24 | Posted by Sycophant at 2021-08-09 12:44 PM | Reply

23 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE AT 2021-08-09 12:31 PM |

I gotcha..my mistake.
If that's the situation then I'm sure the caller knew exactly what the situation was and this was his way of saying you're not welcome here.

As mentioned there was a realtors for sale sign out front. The caller said the same guy in the same car but when the cops arrive there's two cars.
What kind of burglars arrive in two vehicles at two different times?
What kind of burglars park on the street instead of close as possible to the door?
What kind of burglars leave the door open after breaking in?

The cops should've been more aware of the situation.

#25 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-08-09 01:25 PM | Reply

#24 sycophant racing in to win the I didn't read the article but wanted to call the police racist award!

#26 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-08-09 02:10 PM | Reply

#24 | Posted by Sycophant

My firewall blocked the videos. I didn't seen any pics other than in the link above. Given that, I would agree the neighbor's call certainly was highly suspicious. Doubly so on Police response as well since the vehicles did not match the description given. No need to handcuff in my mind either.

#27 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-08-09 03:50 PM | Reply

Old white racists die every day...
and that gives me hope for the future...

#28 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-08-09 03:57 PM | Reply

"Old white racists die every day...
and that gives me hope for the future..."

They've been dying off every day for 50+ years.

As you can tell our society is pretty efficient at replacing them.

#29 | Posted by eberly at 2021-08-09 04:04 PM | Reply

#25 | Posted by ScottE

I didn't see the videos. See the #27 response.

Last guy was a squatter per what I read - not a burglar. Pretty reasonable to park at a house you are squatting in.

Oh and as for what kind of burglar leaves the door open? I lived in a neighborhood in transition a little over 20 years ago. The time I was burglarized they left the door wide open. It's how I knew instantly something was up though busted them in the act. They dropped everything to run (it was bigger stuff). Police never caught them.

#30 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-08-09 04:05 PM | Reply

Honestly it sounds like the police handled it...
#5 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR

By their standard, well ingrained Gestapo tactics, yes they did. No one got killed, just humiliated and threatened.
Actually, I'm surprised they never ended up on the ground, usually that's the first things the cops do.

#31 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-08-09 04:33 PM | Reply

The cops should've been more aware of the situation.

After being ordered out of the house with their hands in the air, the first person to exit the house should have been the realtor, hands in the air. His first words should have been something like, "I am a realtor showing this house to my clients. My credentials are in my pocket and I would like to show them to you". That should have been enough to assuage the cops confusion over the issue and should have prevented the others from being handcuffed.

If the realtor took such action and was handcuffed anyway, those cops need to be fired and the realty company as well as the state level realty association should be up in arms!

If the realtor didn't identify himself, he should be fired.

#32 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2021-08-09 06:37 PM | Reply

"Not Racist At All" - same dupes who say "Not An Insurrection At All" and "Not A Pandemic At All"

#33 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-09 06:54 PM | Reply

#32 | POSTED BY FEDUPWITHYOUPAL

#34 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-09 06:54 PM | Reply

As you can tell our society is pretty efficient at replacing them.

#29 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Propaganda works.

We are currently living in an era of unprecedented rampant misinformation (false information shared accidentally) and disinformation (false information shared deliberately).

The future of "our society" depends on how we deal with that.

#35 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-08-09 07:44 PM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY SCOTTE

Maybe you can point out what I am missing!

I think maybe you are mistaking anger, pain and frustration for a lack of empathy.

Who is more empathetic ...

One who feels the pain of one individual dying due to their own ignorance and who is just realizing they will die due their own stupidity and are now feeling regrets?

Or one who feels the pain of hundreds of thousands of people who have died unnecessarily and the hundreds of thousands still suffering the loss of loved ones due to the negligence and ignorance and lies of their fellow ignorant Americans ?

#36 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-08-09 07:54 PM | Reply

Who is more empathetic ...

One who seeks to understand another's point of view or position

One who wishes death and suffering on those with whom they disagree

???

#37 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-08-09 08:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"One who seeks to understand another's point of view or position"

Is that what you call it when Republican governors ban mask mandates?

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-09 08:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

330 million people in the US and RomaTomato pics a winner. How about the white guy the Dallas Police suffocated with their knee on his neck just before the Floyd incident? I don't agree with racism but I also don't agree with cherry picking stories when the police system effects us all.

#39 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-08-09 10:30 PM | Reply

"I don't agree with racism but I also don't agree with cherry picking stories"

Then why'd you cherry pick a story where police killed a white guy?

"the police system effects us all"

It negatively affects black people more than just about anyone else.

#40 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-09 10:33 PM | Reply

"the police system effects us all"

*scratches fingernails on chalkboard*

#41 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-09 11:42 PM | Reply

#42 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-10 08:35 AM | Reply

#26 | POSTED BY KWRX25

Read the article. Watched the video. Read the article on several other sites.

Came here to see an idiot like you commenting.

Everything I said was true. House was for sale. Big for sale sign. Car was the wrong make, model and color. Officers and neighbor assumed it was a burglar or squatter.

Try again you racist Trump loving Qult member.

#43 | Posted by Sycophant at 2021-08-10 09:42 AM | Reply

"Perhaps the neighbors who called in the 9-11 were just warning the black prospective buyers about the welcome the would receive if they decided to buy that home?"

Anything's possible. That's too far of a conclusion to jump to without knowing more information, including a description of both the neighbor and the person who broke in previously, as well as others who showed or viewed the house without incident. It probably didn't help that the realtor was dressed casually, in a T shirt.

#44 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-10 09:48 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

From the 70s there is a band called Blue Oyster Cult (BOC) and their biggest hit was "Don't Fear the Reaper."

Today we're got the OOC - Orange Oaf Cult, and if they had a theme song it very well might be "Don't Fear the Raper."

#45 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-08-10 09:54 AM | Reply

In the 70s there was also a genre of film called blaxploitation. That's basically what most of these articles catering to Black fetishes are.

#46 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-10 10:24 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

This is certainly the impact of what they did.

The do-gooder concluded it was the same person based on similar skin color and similar car type. That is profiling. I bet they didn't even realize they were jumping to conclusions, as they jumped to them. To the do-gooder, all the pieces added up to confirm their worst fears.

#47 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-10 10:48 AM | Reply

"That is profiling. I bet they didn't even realize they were jumping to conclusions, as they jumped to them. To the do-gooder, all the pieces added up to confirm their worst fears."

The irony that the do-gooders in this thread jumping to the worst possible conclusions are doing that is lost on most people here.

#48 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-10 10:57 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

The facts support the conclusion that this was racially motivated.

As in, he looked black, like the black guy.

#49 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-10 11:02 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

We all know Snoofy is trolling as usual, but the sad thing is there are probably people here who believe that sort of "logic" makes sense. Any time there is a dispute or misunderstanding where "black" and "white" people are involved, it MUST be racially motivated, because it fits the profile of being racially motivated in their minds.

#50 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-10 11:24 AM | Reply

We all know Sentinel is trolling as usual, but the sad thing is there are probably a few other people here who believe that sort of "logic" makes sense. Any time there is a dispute or misunderstanding where "black" and "white" people are involved, it IS NEVER racially motivated, because it fits the profile of not being racially motivated in their minds.

#51 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2021-08-10 11:33 AM | Reply

Pumpkinbutt sounds irked that I described them to a tee. Hmm, let's see, a Conservative Democrat (per profile info) who agrees with Snoofy. Yep, another likely troll/SP. Fits the profile. :)

#52 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-10 11:52 AM | Reply

This proves body cameras work.

#53 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-08-10 12:05 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2021-08-09 11:14 AM | REPLY

It's been studied.

www.psychologytoday.com

democracyguardian.com

"As long as conservatives are cruising along and doing well, they continue to have no empathy for such topics as the children in cages, those that have gone bankrupt due to high medical costs, or even someone that is suffering from a disease state. They will sneer, make accusations, and demonstrate that they could really care less or come up with reasons why it was the fault of the person that they had such horrible things happen. But when the tables are turned, when it is they that fall into a disease state or have trouble that could be considered out of their control, they don't just want empathy from others ... .they demand it; and if you don't offer it, they think you are cruel."

#54 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-08-10 12:09 PM | Reply

"but the sad thing is there are probably a few other people here who believe that sort of "logic" makes sense."

And that's why it's worth calling out, for the benefit of whoever else might be reading.

#55 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-10 01:11 PM | Reply

The facts support the conclusion that this was racially motivated.

As in, he looked black, like the black guy.

Exactly. Sentinel wants to act like there haven't been copious amounts of studies that show white people cannot discern differences - even widely varying heights and weights - in black people as they easily do with other white people - something that is common among people of various ethnicities who aren't as discerning of physical differences in other ethnicities.

The police responded and operated based on their expectations of finding a black person inside - since that is who they'd arrested the previous week. The problem with Sentinel spamming this thread with his idiocy is that the facts of this case undeniably support the conclusion that this entire incident was based on racial profiling, full stop.

That doesn't necessarily make it wrong though. What makes it the subject of doubt is that the 911 caller misidentified both the car and the person(s) who'd entered the house in a fully legal manner. But here's the difference - there is no apparent evidence that the caller made his misidentification maliciously. Therein lies the difference. The factual details of what happened are encapsulated in the story's title. That these facts detail race are inescapably relevant because race was a factor behind the 911 call since the caller erroneously believed it to be the prior squatter/burglar who was Black.

#56 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-08-10 02:38 PM | Reply

"But here's the difference - there is no apparent evidence that the caller made his misidentification maliciously."

I would say it was made with callous disregard for the truth.

The fact that he was black and driving a SUV was enough for the do-gooder to conclude it was a different black man who had been driving different SUV.

He fit the profile.

#57 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-10 02:42 PM | Reply

"The factual details of what happened are encapsulated in the story's title. That these facts detail race are inescapably relevant because race was a factor behind the 911 call since the caller erroneously believed it to be the prior squatter/burglar who was Black."

You're reaching really hard to come to conclusions here, and the evidence does not really support the insinuation you made in comment #1. You need to show that these cops would have reacted differently to the 911 call if only the skin tone of the suspects were different.

#58 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-10 04:27 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The police spokesperson failed to make the same distinction you just quoted. IT WAS ABOUT RACE because RACE was the identifying factor both the 911 caller and the police were working from based on their experience the previous week. If the 9/11 caller had seen the same car but a non-Black person enter the home they likely wouldn't have called the police.

Why can you not understand this?

#59 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-08-10 04:42 PM | Reply

"To say that the entire episode wasn't about race is to deny the role the prior week's squatter being Black played in the mind of the 9/11 caller when deciding to place his call."

Nope. That does not follow. You insinuated that race played a role in how the police responded to the 911 call. Can you show they would have responded differently if the neighbor had been unable or unwilling to describe the skin tone in the second call, or if the suspects had been light skinned in both cases?

#60 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-10 05:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

My #1 post was only in reference to the police spokesperson's statement. Damn, it's one sentence that TELLS YOU who I was talking about.

It had nothing to do with how the police responded.

#61 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-08-10 05:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#61 | POSTED BY et al.

Okay, now you're clearly trolling and not even trying to hide it.

#62 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-10 05:43 PM | Reply

I don't troll dipskwoo.

The spokesperson is quoted "race 'played no roll' in their response." My focus was upon that statement. Race indeed played a role because RACE was the descriptor that both the 911 caller and the police acted upon! To say it played no role is akin to saying that "We had no idea who or what the suspect may have looked like. We went into the confrontation totally blind." That's a lie. The police were looking for the same person who'd broken into the house the week before - who they KNEW was a Black man!

As others have pointed out upthread, there is no evidence that the previous squatter was armed or threatened the responding officers in any way, yet these officers drew weapons even though the man had his hands up. Do you think they do that to all suspects in similar non-violent situations?

Would they have drawn weapons had an unarmed 4 foot tall white dwarf come out of the house instead of a Black man? How about an unarmed white woman, would they have drawn on her too? How about a Black man the size of Fat Albert? Just how close was the realtor in physical resemblance to the man arrested before? The police knew EXACTLY who the prior squatter was and his physical description. He was BLACK, so when a Black man emerged from the house, they immediately drew their weapons without any hint of being threatened.

Of course race played a role in their response. To think that it didn't would have meant the officer ignored all their training and experience as it regards apprehending Black suspects. They don't pull weapons in non violent encounters with white women, do they?

#63 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-08-10 05:59 PM | Reply

"My #1 post was only in reference to the police spokesperson's statement."
"It had nothing to do with how the police responded."

Yeah, you's trollin'.

#64 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-10 06:25 PM | Reply

Youse an idiot.

#65 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-08-10 07:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The point:

It's not racist to mistake one car for another, or to imagine that a house broken into on July 24 might be targeted again eight days later. It's not racist for police to respond to a suspected crime in progress with caution and to follow the procedures they learned in training.

What is clear from the recordings is that no one - not the caller, not the dispatcher, not the police - seriously considered the possibility that Brown was a real estate agent, even though Sunday afternoon is prime time for house-shopping but less so for breaking and entering. A series of assumptions were made, starting with the assumption that this Black man in a Hyundai must perforce be some other Black man in a Mercedes - perhaps you've heard the classically racist saying, "They all look alike to me"?

When the police saw Black men in the house they assumed a crime was in progress, and only concrete proof made them change their minds.

Something is very wrong when three citizens going peacefully about their business are suddenly surrounded by guns, taken into custody and forced to prove their innocence. And the worst part of the video is this: The three don't seem astonished.

Everything was by the book, just as the city officials insisted. The problem is, we're reading from more than one book. Theirs says very clearly: Shopping while Black - like driving while Black, or walking while Black, or playing while Black " can be dangerous.

www.washingtonpost.com

#66 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-08-10 09:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"Conceding all of those points, it remains preposterous to say that this incident had nothing to do with race - race multiplied by gender. Any number of White real estate agents in actual black Mercedes sedans could have pulled up to that house, opened that lockbox and gone inside, without a peep to 911. If the neighbors even noticed, they would have thought: house for sale, Sunday afternoon, a buyer must be interested."

If both the realtor and the burglar/squatter from the week before had been "White" or "Asian" or "Hispanic" or any other ethnicity which matched, it's not at all preposterous to say the neighbor would have still called 911. The narrative that it only happened "because they were Black" is just being assumed without any evidence specific to the people involved this case.

Even conceding it's possible the neighbor (who we know nothing about at this point) was motivated by racial bias, you're conflating that with the police response. Again, you still have not shown that these cops would have behaved any differently if both the realtor and the burglar had matching descriptions of an ethnicity other than "Black", with all else about the situation being equal.

And yes, you were definitely insinuating something about the police response with the comment you made about the spokesperson in #1. It was idiotic for you to suggest you weren't.

#67 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-11 01:39 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#66 | Posted by tonyroma

This "ssentinel" clown knows damn well that everything he posts is absolute, unequivocal, horse manure.

He's just a bored teenager.

#68 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-08-11 08:47 AM | Reply

Tony you're arguing a semantic and not his real point I think.

You're saying the the 911 call involved a description of a black man, therefore to say race wasn't involved is absurd.

All calls try to have a description of who the responders are looking for. I think for your point to be valid, the police would have had to react ONLY because the description was of a black man or differently because he was a black man. Otherwise their reaction considered race as am identifier, but wasn't a factor in if they responded or not, or how they responded.

#69 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-08-11 09:03 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

We know he/she is an ignorant dick, who lied to police dispatch.

#70 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-11 09:05 AM | Reply

you "know" they lied?

How old are they, how far away? and tell me they couldn't mistake this for a mercedes www.genesis.com

#71 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-08-11 09:14 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

you "know" they lied?

They said it was the same person that broke in before (not true) and in the same vehicle (not true). When asked if they were certain it was the same person, they said they were (not true).

They were not the same person that called it in the first time, so how would they even know? Why the hell would someone break into a house they were arrested for breaking into a week before?

#72 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-11 09:41 AM | Reply

tell me they couldn't mistake this for a mercedes

I suppose if they don't know what a Mercedes looks like.

#73 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-11 09:44 AM | Reply

Not only do all blacks look alike,

But all SUVs being driven by blacks look alike!

#74 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-11 10:38 AM | Reply

redial, I think we differ on... do not assume maliciousness at what can be explained by incompetence.

What you are calling lying, I'm thinking there is a good case for mistaken.

Where did the information that it was a different person calling this in? Everything discussed so far indicated it was the same person as the initial report of someone squatting there.

#75 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-08-11 10:57 AM | Reply

"What you are calling lying, I'm thinking there is a good case for mistaken."

I think there's a good case for being mistaken because of engaging in racial profiling.

The caller saw what they wanted to see.

#76 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-11 11:01 AM | Reply

And it seems like the police saw what the caller wanted them to see too.

#77 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-11 11:01 AM | Reply

Where did the information that it was a different person calling this in?

Different article:

www.cnn.com

In audio of the call released by Wyoming police, the caller is heard telling dispatch that a "young Black man" had been arrested the week prior for "squatting" in the house and that his car had been towed. (The police's statement said the individual was arrested for unlawful entry.) Police said it was a different caller from the initial incident, but "the caller was aware of the previous arrest and had seen the arrested individual and his vehicle." The homeowner had asked the caller to watch the house, police said. A few minutes later, a Wyoming officer contacted the caller to clarify that it was the same suspect and vehicle from the previous incident. The caller confirmed it was, police said, "adding that two other males showed up and all three individuals had now entered the house."

So, the caller said they saw the previous suspect and vehicle and confirmed these were the same. They were not. Caller just assumed they were for some reason.

#78 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-11 11:29 AM | Reply

Thanks Redial, certainly more questionable as to why they were so confident in IDing the guy.

I'm not quick to toss a racist label around with incontrovertible evidence. Here it still, to me, falls into the realm of the "unreliable eye witness" effect as the most likely cause, but racism is certainly running a close 2nd, or maybe a mix.

#79 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-08-11 01:44 PM | Reply

I agree. Hard to ignore the fact that the eyewitness is white in a community where only 8% is black.

#80 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-11 02:30 PM | Reply