Monday, August 16, 2021

For the first time since its construction in the 1930s, the federal government has formally declared a water shortage at Lake Mead, the nation's largest reservoir by volume, on the Colorado River.

Comments

The water wars of future generations will be catastrophic.

But. Much like climate change. It's not something anyone is currently paying attention to.

As it is. The Republican Party, under the Trump administration, rolled back environmental protection regulations as far as possible.

Good luck to all your children and grandchildren!

#1 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-08-16 06:58 PM | Reply

I guess LV needs to stop filling their hotel pools.

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-16 07:44 PM | Reply

If only someone would have predicted 30 years ago that the fastest growing region in the country would face a water shortage in 30 years.

Thought and prayers.
Nothing can be done.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-16 10:52 PM | Reply

I wonder what it's going to be: The ecology downstream from Hoover dam, or the farmers?

Bye, bye little fishies.

#4 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-16 11:01 PM | Reply

I guess LV needs to stop filling their hotel pools.

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-16 07:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Golf courses suck more water than pools ever do.

Fountains outside hotels are a blatant waste of water.

When you try to suburbanize the desert with green lawns, pools and golf courses this is what you can expect.

#5 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-08-17 07:36 AM | Reply

It is really really really stupid and a huge waste of water to insist that a desert not be arid or look like a desert.

#6 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-08-17 08:12 AM | Reply

#5 | Posted by Nixon

All true - Vegas has been using treated waste water on golf courses for a couple decades. It's not considered consumable.

Desert landscaping has been the only option in LV for decades as well. I don't know if older homes were grandfathered in though...

The California drainage for agriculture and what not is the biggest drain on the water. California has the most "rights"...

#7 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-08-17 08:25 AM | Reply

All that sucking the San Joaquin aquifers dry is introducing saltwater intrusion in CA as well.

#8 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-08-17 08:35 AM | Reply

You only need to read the classic book "Cadillac Desert" to understand the absurdity of what the government did out here and the disaster they set up years ago, which is now on the verge of taking place. As many posters here have pointed out, making the desert green is just arrogant stupidity. And cutting SW Arizona farmers crop water supply without shutting off the fountains, swimming pools and golf courses that line the Colorado River system is an even larger dose of arrogant stupidity. You can either grow food or play golf, but pretty soon you won't be able to do both.

#9 | Posted by Yodagirl at 2021-08-17 09:46 AM | Reply

#9 | Posted by Yodagirl

I agree. Given the state of the situation, I am willing to bet neither are a likely outcome unless they start playing golf on dirt and astro turf. I still don't get how you can cattle ranch in the desert either...

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-08-17 09:56 AM | Reply

This is why there is such a surge of immigrants on our southern border. Humans historically migrate to where the water is. If we weren't starving Mexican farmers of the Colorado River water, they wouldn't be throwing their kids over the fence. The drought there is severe and we're next.

#11 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2021-08-17 11:09 AM | Reply

My friend from grammar school has a second house in Vegas.

Lush green lawn with sprinkler system. I asked him why he didn't take the buyout to put down stones and cacti....he wants to go there to see grass in January. He got a notice from the LV water dept that his sprinkler needed adjustment and was spraying the sidewalk. He of course ignored it. Second notice had a $500 fine attached to it. That got his attention. Dummy tried to fight the fine saying he never got the original....they showed him the certified mail receipt with his signature. I love him, but he runs his entire life that way.

#12 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-08-17 11:46 AM | Reply

The fountains aren't really wasting water, most of that is reclaimed. The pools are a small factor as well as the grass. But, nearly every house in my neighborhood has reconfigured to a xeriscape.

The biggest problem is simply the amount of people in California, the amount of tourists in Vegas, and mostly, the giant freaking drought. Climate change is as big of a factor as overpopulation. But I wouldn't blame too much of that on fountains and pools.

#13 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-08-17 12:02 PM | Reply

#11 - The Colorado River(bed) runs less than 100 miles in Mexico. There weren't that many farmers dependent on it. It hasn't reached the sea in 60 years. The border crisis is more recent.

Your explanation fails to explain the people leaving the lush tropical jungles of Central America crossing the desert to get to the US.

In short, I don't think the border crisis is caused by people chasing water.

#14 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-17 01:22 PM | Reply

"There was talk a few years ago of taking great lakes water and sending it to the desert. Thank god Canada put a stop to it. People bitch about living in the rust belt, but I can water my garden, swim in my pool and take a nice long shower anytime I want."

January in the pool?

#15 | Posted by dibblda at 2021-08-17 11:12 PM | Reply

"The fountains aren't really wasting water, most of that is reclaimed"

It is wasted water. Here in Orange County CA *we drink* that water. Treatment makes it purer than water pumped out of the ground. In fact there was such an uproar about "toilet to tap" that they take the ultra pure water, re-inject it into the ground, and pump it out from a wellhead later, and dirtier I might add.

#16 | Posted by dibblda at 2021-08-17 11:15 PM | Reply

"In short, I don't think the border crisis is caused by people chasing water."

Some are chasing the water to their jobs.
Landscaping and farming both require water, and those are both jobs illegals do.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-17 11:19 PM | Reply

#16 - the water is reused. Yes some is lost in evaporation, but what is used on a Las Vegas Golf course in a day could probably fill the Belaggio fountain.

I don't see fountains being a big offender, here.

#18 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-17 11:27 PM | Reply

Though I like California, I'm glad I don't live there. As the line in the Eagle's song "The Last Resort" says:

"They call it paradise.
I don't know why
You call someplace paradise
Kiss it goodbye"

That kiss was blown over 50 years ago. California has long ago lost its luster.

#19 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-17 11:33 PM | Reply

Even the jewel of California, San Diego, has been fading from its glory days for decades.

#20 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-17 11:35 PM | Reply

Stfu texan

#21 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-18 12:06 AM | Reply

#21 - deep.

#22 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-18 12:20 AM | Reply

Deep , yeah , sorry California is still wonderful.
Stfu texan

#23 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-18 12:29 AM | Reply

#23 - it's hard to be a wonderful place in this world without adequate water.

#24 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-18 12:39 AM | Reply

^
Tell that to the people who call Miami, Atlanta, and numerous other places home

#25 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-18 12:57 AM | Reply

"it's hard to be a wonderful place in this world without adequate water."

Desalination in San Diego, Texan. More to follow soon I'm sure. As far as growing rice and almonds in the central valley? Oh well.

#26 | Posted by dibblda at 2021-08-18 01:22 AM | Reply

"That kiss was blown over 50 years ago. California has long ago lost its luster."

Lol, the Republican lament. That is longer than my whole life and it has been pretty damn nice here, a bit too crowded lately but maybe we can convince the influx New Yorkers and other liberals that your opinion is correct and they should flood into Texas and the mountain west. We could use another 6 or so Democratic senators. Easy after covid pares down the conservative voting population naturally.

#27 | Posted by dibblda at 2021-08-18 01:27 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#25 - desalinization is not cheap. It is very energy intensive. The water costs much more per unit than natural sources. That is not good in a state that already has the second highest cost of living in the continental US. I'm glad it is there for you, however. I do not like to see people do without water.

#28 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-18 06:56 AM | Reply

Somebody is apparently unaware the entire Central Valley is America's food pantry, and that requires water, lots and lots of it.
The issue right now is a result of a prolonged drought, nothing more, nothing less. Even the best managed finite resource will be depleted if not resupplied.
You should do yourself and everyone a favor and stop with your stupid antics. This impacts everyone's groceries

#29 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-18 02:59 PM | Reply

I'm not sure why California doesn't buy water from Oregon and Washington state when they seem to have a decent amount of rain.

Looking up which states get the most rain. Seems to be conflicting results. But Florida, Louisiana and Hawaii are the top three on (almost) all of them.

(Hawaii is left off a few "top 10 lists", but I'm not sure why.)

#30 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-08-18 03:23 PM | Reply

#31 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-18 03:34 PM | Reply

" That's a brilliant way to get today's "conservative" to come out against pipelines. - - - threaten to put water in it."

Just like the vaccine made conservatives squeal, "My body, my choice!"

#32 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-08-18 03:47 PM | Reply

Apparently it is FEDERAL water, so the federal government is to blame.

#33 | Posted by MSgt at 2021-08-18 04:02 PM | Reply

#29 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES

He's not capable of stopping.
It's why he got banned in the first place.

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-18 04:25 PM | Reply

Apparently it is FEDERAL water, so the federal government is to blame.
#33 | POSTED BY MSGT

Works for me.

We don't have a national growth policy.

If we did, you'd cry endlessly how Central Planning is taking away America's Freedoms.

So, now we get to hear you cry about how the government let developers develop land that you would have never wanted the government to stop developers from developing.

---- you.