Tuesday, August 17, 2021

... against attackers who have 30 minutes of access. It has been understood for decades that it's practically impossible to secure your computer (or computer-based device such as a voting machine) from attackers who have physical access.

Comments

Part of me wonders if this is why the Cyber Ninjas in Arizona are taking their sweet time with the voting machines they have confiscated.

They don't really care about the audit.

What they do care about is learning how to effectively and quickly hack into a voting machine to change the votes.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-17 11:56 AM | Reply

Encrypt the hard drive. Bam.

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-17 01:52 PM | Reply

It's still practically impossible to secure your computer...
... against attackers who have 30 minutes of access

^
Which is why we should have paper ballots.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-17 02:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@2 ... Encrypt the hard drive ...

I remain to be convinced that those who may have nefarious intent would not know the password.

Yes, encryption is another layer of protection, and that is good.

Still I wish I knew what is taking the Arizona auditers so long to perform their audit? If they had any competence at all, I'd proffer that they probably would be done by now.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-17 02:31 PM | Reply

LAMPLIGHT

About a month ago hen my modem malfunctioned and lost connection to my Home network, I was hacked.

I needn't go into the details of what happened after that but since then I utilized phone verify for My Account and my email. It's a bit of a nuisance to have to type in a code but compared to the alternative I don't mind.

I have since fixed all the damage the hacking caused but now, if anybody tries it again they have to be sitting at my computer station and answering one of my phones.

Of course I've also made things more complicated than that but you get the gist.

#5 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-08-17 02:50 PM | Reply

@#5 ... I've also made things more complicated than that but you get the gist. ...

Yup.

Which is why I have a concern regarding just what the Arizona auditors are doing with those voting machines, and what is taking them so long to do it.

Could they be trying to figure out the internals for future reference? Reminds me of the Georgia Republicans in the legislature putting Republicans in charge of Fulton County voting process.

Disparate events, or somehow related?

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-17 03:10 PM | Reply

LAMP

"Disparate events, or somehow related?"

They're both related, of course, as in "any port in a storm."

I vote for pure desperation in both cases in hopes of finding some miniscule flaw they can extrapolate into a national, headline grabbing scandal.

As for Arizona, perhaps the length of time it's taking is a delaying tactic before they have to suffer the embarrassment of being wrong ~ thus ending up on the losing end of Dominion's multiple lawsuits for defamation.

#7 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-08-17 11:16 PM | Reply

LAMP

Again Arizona. I suspect they'll eventually come up with that old standby "inconclusive due to circumstances" (unnamed) in an effort to sidestep the wrath of Trump and still be halfway useful as a propaganda tool later on.

An anonymous 'somebody else' will no doubt be their patsy ~ probably a Democrat in the Texas legislature. (hint, hint)

#8 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-08-17 11:56 PM | Reply

Best way to have a truly secure computer is to make sure it isn't connected to the internet and that every flash drive that comes near it is vetted beforehand.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-18 05:52 PM | Reply

I barely know how to log in to the DR. I am essentially computer illiterate. It's worrisome to me that people in the know also find it worrisome.

#10 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-08-18 09:47 PM | Reply

#10 The Internet was built with the assumption that when someone knocks on your door, you can trust who they say they are.

It's a bit like the Second Amendment in that regard. The concept of a bad actor was never considered, and why should it have been? It was never supposed to be more than a way for the military to maintain lines of communication after a nuclear strike takes out any number of command and control centers.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-18 10:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1