Wednesday, August 18, 2021

A small Texas school district has made facial coverings part of its dress code, in a bid to get around Gov. Greg Abbott's executive order banning mask mandates.

Comments

I don't understand the mentality of these rabid right wingers who are opposed to this simple measure to slow the spread.

How many children need to be needlessly infected to prove their feality to the rabid right?

#1 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-08-18 12:43 PM | Reply

Good for PISD!! Stick to your guns and ignore the corrupt and incompetent leadership trying to kill your children.

#2 | Posted by Yodagirl at 2021-08-18 12:46 PM | Reply

FTA

"Abbott has sought to portray his stance as protecting the freedoms of Texans."

What he's trying to protect (or shall we say massage) is Trump's ego that prevents him [Trump] from admitting he is wrong and Dr. Fauci and CDC is right. If thousands more have to die on that alter, Trump considers that a justifiable consequence.

Apparently Governor Abbott agrees. In fact, it may be his only choice if he expects to remain on the short list as Trump's wing man in 2024 ~~ or at least a powerful cabinet position should he roll snake eyes in his game of chance against DeSantis.

However, Trump is a user and an abuser. It wouldn't surprise anybody if he left them both swinging in the breeze.

#3 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-08-18 01:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

The continued opposition to students wearing masks in school baffles me. Don't these screaming Karens understand that the alternative is having their children at home for another semester or school year, all day on Zoom, seeking Mom's help with their calculus problem set, chemistry equations or Texas history...

#4 | Posted by catdog at 2021-08-18 01:08 PM | Reply

Paris is (or maybe was) a neat little country community, a little north of where I went to college.

Good for them, bucking the Red Tide.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2021-08-18 01:08 PM | Reply

sooo. CORKY IS AN ETSU ALUM?

#6 | Posted by e1g1 at 2021-08-18 01:19 PM | Reply

Yep... a retroactive Aggie now, lol!

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2021-08-18 01:22 PM | Reply

@#3 ... If thousands more have to die on that alter, Trump considers that a justifiable consequence. ...

I don't think that fmr Pres Trump ever considered the death of Americans due to COVID at any level beyond how it would benefit him politically.

It was not Americans who were dying at his hands, it was political pawns he was willing to expend to get ahead and stay ahead politically.

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-18 01:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

This school board is more fit to govern the state than is the Texas legislature and governor.

#9 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-08-18 01:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

The intelligent students will really appreciate Administration.

#10 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-18 01:46 PM | Reply

At least give me credit when you copy my post verbatim.

#11 | Posted by qcp at 2021-08-18 01:53 PM | Reply

Reminds me of this Reddit post www.google.com

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-08-18 02:14 PM | Reply

Related...

Tens of thousands of U.S. students quarantining or isolating due to COVID
www.axios.com

...By the numbers: About 20,000 Mississippi students were quarantining due to possible COVID-19 exposure as of Tuesday, a state health official said, per AP.

-- Nearly 6,000 students and more than 300 staff members in the Florida's Hillsborough County school district were quarantining or isolating as of Monday, officials said.

-- More than 3,000 students and staff in a New Orleans school district were quarantining as of Monday afternoon, according to NOLA Public Schools. The district reported nearly 300 active coronavirus cases.

-- Roughly 1,200 students in Georgia's Cherokee County School District have been ordered to quarantine since the beginning of the school year, the New York Times reported.

The big picture: Outbreaks and the growing number of students and staff in quarantine have prompted some districts to implement or consider imposing mask mandates " including in Florida, where state officials have sanctioned at least two school districts for approving mandatory mask policies in defiance of Gov. Ron DeSantis' order prohibiting them from doing so. ...

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-18 02:32 PM | Reply

LAMP

Also . . .

As of today the Mississippi Board of Health reported that 20,000 students in Mississippi have been quarantined for exposure, 6,000 of which have tested positive.

Mississippi has the lowest rate in the country for vaccinations.

Do tell. No surprise there.

#14 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-08-18 03:05 PM | Reply

The one thing that really does bother me about myself. I don't want to make fun of the unvaccinated, I don't want to make fun of their deaths. I mourn them from afar and I honestly do care about the children left behind by parents who wouldn't listen to science. I actually do know a young man right now, fighting COVID, who actually does believe in vaccines but his job just didn't allow him time to get vaccinated...or at least that is the story I have been told. Thing is, he is an important member of my family that I honestly care about and I pray for his recovery. I will be praying for him for the next few days, so far, he is very sick but not hospitalized.
Do an Agnostic's prayers count? I'm pretty sure they do if we time it right to the moments when we actually believe. I hope I have timed my most recent prayers correctly to coincide with my honest belief in Christianity.
Culturally I think Christianity has probably been the greatest civilization creating force in history.
I don't go to church but I am still glad I grew up and still live in a Christian nation even if I don't believe in Christianity all the time. I do believe in the society that Christianity enabled or even created. It led to the Reformation, the Enlightenment and our Revolutionary War which was probably the most important event in the history of progress in the history of the world.
So, all I am really saying is that even an Agnostic (like Sister Theresa) can still appreciate the progress to humanity caused by Christianity.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-18 09:51 PM | Reply