Thursday, August 19, 2021

Toyota is to slash worldwide vehicle production by 40% in September because of the global microchip shortage. The world's biggest carmaker had planned to make almost 900,000 cars next month, but has now reduced that to 540,000 vehicles. Volkswagen, the world's second-biggest car producer, has warned it may also be forced to cut output further.

Comments

This is a feature of capitalism.

Do less work, make more profit. See it every year in the gasoline industry when they shut down a refinery "for maintenance".

Took a trip past the dealer where I just bought my 2022. They have two cars on the lot. TWO. Where they normally have 60.

This is why inflation, despite the feds rosy outlook, is not going away.

#1 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-08-19 07:00 AM | Reply

Supply constraints exist in all economic systems comrade nixy.

#2 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-08-19 07:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

They've had plenty of time to ramp up the chip production and shipping. There's far more behind this than what we're being told.

#3 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-08-19 06:22 PM | Reply

#1 Capitalism has many flaws, but that isn't what is behind the chip shortage.

Capitalism tends to increase supply while profits can be made. Controlling supply is monopolistic and is more likely under communism.

The truth is that the world's chip supply has been bought up by Gates to make vaccine microchips.

#4 | Posted by bored at 2021-08-19 06:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 5

www.techrepublic.com

Article addressing what is causing it. Couple reasons but seems like bottom line is auto chips are low profit and demand elsewhere is high enough the suppliers don't have a motivation to ramp up production.

#5 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-08-19 06:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I was offered more for my 2015 f150 with 40k miles on it than I paid for it in 2016 new at the ford dealer.Of course the cost of replacing it makes it a no go.

#6 | Posted by Scotty at 2021-08-19 07:02 PM | Reply

Boss was looking at that for his F250. Much like you the cost of a new one made it not worth the deal.

Son is fixing up a 1990 Ranger right now. He picked it up for 2k by the time all is said and done he'll have 8-10k in it and he is already seeing people interested in it for 16-22k. He wasn't looking to sell it but at 22k he might change his tune.

#7 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-08-19 07:27 PM | Reply

It's a perfect storm for high new car profits. Artificial container shortage, chip shortage, driving went way down for awhile and the used car supply with it. A Lexus store averaged $15k net per sale for a week this month. That's unheard of for a major brand dealer.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-08-19 07:50 PM | Reply

#7 - my mechanic tells me to hang on to my 21 year old 270k mile vehicle. He said the occasional maintenance is far cheaper than the new vehicles and that the older ones are far more dependable. He told me he has been a mechanic for 40 years and has never seen so many new vehicles in his shop.

#9 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-19 08:01 PM | Reply

my mechanic tells me to hang on to my 21 year old 270k mile vehicle.

That the Jeep or the Pickup?

#10 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-19 08:19 PM | Reply

My son is a budding mechanic hobbyist. He converted a mountain bike to an electric "bike" no pedals hence the quotes. He took an old Vespa and completely rebuilt and upgraded the engine, and pretty much everything and turned it into a racing scooter and now the 1990 Ranger which only has 86k but was completely dry rotted from sitting.

#11 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-08-19 08:23 PM | Reply

And to continue your thought...

So since then I've been able to keep cars running forever by him just hitting them up for maintenance. He cleaned the intake manifold, flushed transmission fluid, etc. on my car a couple months ago and 140k mile 11 year old car runs like the day it came off the lot. You should breed your own mechanic, or in my case inherit him when your SIL dies, is what I'm saying.

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-08-19 08:32 PM | Reply

#10 - it's a Camry.

#13 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-19 09:29 PM | Reply

Treat a Camry right and she'll be with you forever. My last car was at 212k 12 years old when it got totaled, Camry engine and ran great it had another 100k easy had someone not turned left in front of me.

Needless to say my new one also has a Camry engine but she had not been loved in a while hence the need for my son to do so much. Now though it should be good to go. Best part is it only cost like 300 in parts and fluids.

#14 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-08-19 10:21 PM | Reply

My 96 ranger ran for over 300,00 miles.

I gave it to a friend of mine that needed a work truck and he put maybe $250 into it and it runs great.

I'm confident it'll be around long after my 2007 f150 will ...

Oy.

#15 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2021-08-20 01:09 AM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY LOSTANGELES

I had a '92 Ranger with a stick shift. God damn did I love that truck. Was stolen outside a minor league hockey arena. Gulls won, me and my pop lost.

#16 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-08-20 01:17 AM | Reply

Friend has a 90-something Ranger with 300,000 miles, 2nd transmission, piece of electrical tape on the dash to cover the engine light at night.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-20 01:24 AM | Reply

Wow. Although I had NO plans to buy a new car, it looks like my 2000 Taurus SES (built in late 1999) will be getting another oil change at 255K on the odometer.

#18 | Posted by john47 at 2021-08-20 07:50 AM | Reply

Other undesirable features on new cars are the GPS tracking stuff. I don't need my positing or speed recorded. Then the fact they can be started remotely. That means they can be stopped remotely.

I like my old, non-Big Brother vehicle. I'm going to keep it running.

#19 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-20 07:59 AM | Reply

I like my old, non-Big Brother vehicle. I'm going to keep it running.

#19 | POSTED BY JAKESTER AT 2021-08-20 07:59 AM | FLAG:

With this fear of big brother, how do you get around with no PC or phone?

#20 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-08-20 08:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm not worried about big brother, I'm more worried about big brother manufacturer. But besides that I am also worried about the security or lack there of in new vehicles with all the integrated tech. It is better than it used to be but... Honestly thinking about selling my newer truck and buying a ~2000-2005 Chevy/GM if I can find a low mile rust free one. With what my truck is worth right now, even with the premium on all vehicles I can clear enough to buy one and be payment free.

The tech and complexity in new vehicles is making them extremely expensive to fix and maintain once you are out of warranty. It is also making them less reliable.

Oh BTW if you have one of the engine management systems that shuts off cylinders "for economy" (aka Displacement on Demand) you should get that disabled. Very good chance of it destroying your engine and not even with high miles. It's kind of crazy how these systems work. The only positive they have is about 5% better fuel economy on the best case scenario side. Manufacturers don't care about your vehicle after the warranty period at all.

#21 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-08-20 10:41 AM | Reply

Cylinder deactivation has been around since 1981. GM Modular Displacement. Common now in overhead cam engines from inline 4 to V12. It is 7.5% better fuel economy in practice. That's a massive gain in terms of efficiency.

#22 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-08-20 11:33 AM | Reply

2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L 4-Dr. I bought this car in 2012 with 39K miles. It now has 202K. It has never let me down. The engine is strong. I've only changed the oil, tires, brake pads, and battery. Hyundai for life!

#23 | Posted by marty331965 at 2021-08-20 12:01 PM | Reply

I know a guy who bought a Hyundai Accent new maybe 15 years ago. Still going strong. Come to think of it, I know two people who did that.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-20 12:09 PM | Reply

My buddy in HS saved up $7,000 (and some change) for his first car. He was adamant that he wanted a new car. Just so happens that was the year (1998?) Hyundai Accents were being sold for $6,999 brand new. So him and his dad went to the dealership and bought an Accent. The car broke down on the drive home, dealership had to tow it back. My buddy decided to roll the dice and got a replacement. He had it through HS until the first year of college and was so excited having the 100,000 mile warranty, until he realized that all the little things breaking down and apart with the interior wasn't covered in the warranty. Let's just say the thing was run down after a few years, so he bought a pickup truck. I drove that little car around a couple times and man, what a POS. Sounds like they finally upgraded the quality, but that experience made be biased against Hyundai ever since. I've had the same POV with Kia. Honda and Suburu is what me and the mrs. drive and have enjoyed them immensely. Will definitely get 200K to 250K out of the Honda. Not sure about the Suburu, but at least the Suburu is fun to drive.

#25 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-08-20 12:41 PM | Reply

#25 - I heard several similar stories and I am biased against Hyundai for the same reason. Yes, I do believe they've upgraded their quality, but it's true what they say about first impressions, at least with me. I'll never buy a Hyundai.

#26 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-20 01:17 PM | Reply

#25 and #26

Yep Hyundai had a deservedly terrible reputation through the 90's I have also heard they have made massive improvements starting mid aughts but it will take pure desperation for me to ever get one.

#27 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-08-20 02:57 PM | Reply

#27 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR AT 2021-08-20 02:57 PM | REPLY: Our first Hyundai was an '07 Sonata [apparently that was the year that the upped their QC]. Replaced it after 250k miles with an '11 Sonata [now has 190K miles on it] as well as now also have a '17 Santa Fe Sport. The most expensive maintenance bill was on the '07 and it was 650 dollars. Love them and in a year of two my wife wants to replace her Sonata with another Santa Fe. In our opinion, very good vehicles with decent gas milage and performance.

#28 | Posted by MSgt at 2021-08-21 04:55 PM | Reply