Thursday, August 19, 2021

Trump is not ruining democracy, we are. And it's been anguishing to confront I was worried long before Trump and the Capitol riot, as political jousting turned zealous and well-off friends called America a disastrous mess. Editorial by Tom Nichols that I believe hits what is going on in the United States, and what the root cause may be.

Comments

Warning: The author uses the terms "democracy" "illiberal and "liberal" relying on the reader to know the definitions and the context

I thought this was a good opinion piece that identifies what may be the root of what we're seeing going on in the United States.

#1 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-19 08:34 AM | Reply

I agree with this article, which I find penetrating.

Applying this to COVID, the ongoing vaccine and mask rebellions are essentially tests of discipline, pragmatism, and sober education. Which many tens of millions of Americans are failing.

I've been listening carefully to people who oppose common sense on this issue. They speak with me because they cannot believe that someone who will listen to them might also disagree. They live in an elaborate daydream that it's obviously taken years to fashion. They reference historical events that never occured. They deny the evidence of their own eyes while insisting that their own eyes are the only things they really trust.

As does this article, I see many of these people as being spoiled rotten. They were born in a society with enough wealth and power to support them in their maladaptive, often primitively superstitious behavior. Their fixation that God and the universe and the rest of us must take care of them regardless of how poorly think or how poorly they do is ingrained. In regards to COVID, only the immediate experience of actual dead bodies gets through to them.

Many of the people I speak to on the subject aren't bad people. But they are too stupid to live, and so many of them won't.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2021-08-19 09:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This is worth reading.

"Friends who had grown up with me in economically strapped circumstances, for example, would tell me how they thought America was a disastrous mess " while sailing their boats, or sending me pictures from their multiple vacations. Political arguments that were once friendly jousting took on an almost religious hue."

"Ironically, this growing illiberalism is not the product of bad times, but of a long trend of rising narcissism and a sense of entitlement that was enabled by peace, prosperity, and rapidly improving living standards."

#3 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2021-08-19 09:31 AM | Reply

#2 - I wonder how many of us can relate to that, Zed? I could have written what you wrote myself!
I might change the last sentence a bit, though! (har har!)

#4 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-19 09:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Fantastic editorial.

Nails it.

#5 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-19 12:39 PM | Reply

I am sick and tired of hearing this we ----

I am not responsible for the failure

I have done everything in my power to prevent it

The problem lies with corrupt republicans, their ignorant followers and weak democrats

Part of the problem is the constant and consistent lack of consequences for those that break the law or pervert it to their corrupt ends

That is not my fault

I refuse to accept responsibility for it

Speak to those in power

Hold them accountable

Get prosecutors to actually charge ------- and his minions

Get dems to pass laws that actually do something

I do not have that power

The powers that be don't listen to me

So take this we shut and shove it

#6 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-08-19 12:48 PM | Reply

and then there is that opinion...
I also don't feel responsible, however I found it a good article and helped me understand.

#7 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-19 02:04 PM | Reply

It's called white privilege. It was bad enough that they had to compete against the Blacks but at least those numbers were constrained by a physical barrier: the Atlantic Ocean. However, with Hispanics, all they have to do is walk across the border. And the supply is endless! Add to that the refusal of White women to be baby making factories despite all of the anti abortion efforts and we have the perfect storm brewing for the poorly educated, under resourced whites. Yes, in a fair society, a merit based society, they may be replaced.

#8 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2021-08-20 04:10 AM | Reply