Thursday, August 19, 2021

First-time filings for unemployment insurance hit a new pandemic-era low last week, a sign that the jobs market is improving heading into the fall. Jobless claims for the week ended Aug. 14 totaled 348,000, the Labor Department reported Thursday. That was below the Dow Jones estimate for 365,000 and a decline of 29,000 from the previous week.

Comments

What's more, as layoffs drop to 17-month low, job growth has soared over the summer; U.S. factory production is strong; and the domestic economy is currently on pace to grow faster than China's economy for the first time in more than three decades.

It was just a couple of months ago when House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) insisted that President Biden's economic policies "have stalled our recovery," adding, "Bidenomics is bad for America."

There's quite a bit of evidence to the contrary.

Steve Benen

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-08-19 09:38 AM | Reply

Here in Florida they keep the numbers low by making it nearly impossible to claim unemployment benefits. Don't believe any statistic put out by the Florida state government under DeathSantis.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-19 09:54 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I am sure at some time today Fat Nixon will call into --- Noise to claim credit for this.

#3 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-08-19 11:52 AM | Reply

when will MAGAts start spreading the lie that the numbers are fake again?

#4 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-08-19 12:14 PM | Reply

Some ----- posted the "funny flag" on my post but I have personally been trying to file a claim and it is virtually impossible online or on the phone so F you stupid. You really are a pathetic piece of filth and we discussed the meaning of "filth" yesterday.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-20 07:41 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#5 Really? Just a few weeks ago on the Nooner you were celebrating your RETIREMENNT. Why in the hell would you try to file for unemployment if you retired? Either you lied or are attempting fraud. Which is it?

#6 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2021-08-20 08:38 AM | Reply

Yes, You Can Receive Unemployment and Social Security at the Same Time

www.elderlawanswers.com

#7 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-08-20 08:42 AM | Reply

#8 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2021-08-20 08:47 AM | Reply

Here are the rules for getting Social Security while on unemployment

If you're hoping to collect both Social Security and unemployment, you're in luck: There's nothing standing in your way of getting both.

As long as you qualify for unemployment under your state's requirements, you can get these benefits even if you're on Social Security. And while unemployment benefits can be reduced under state rules if you earn income from doing work while you're receiving them, you won't see your checks reduced based on money coming from the Social Security Administration. Although some states did dock benefits in the past, they've all repealed rules allowing that.

And money from unemployment also won't count as wages that affect the amount of your Social Security checks, so there will be no reduction in your retirement benefits based on your jobless benefits.

In short, you can get the full amount of both unemployment and Social Security that you're entitled to under each program, which can really go a long way toward helping you make ends meet.

www.fool.com

#9 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-08-20 09:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"#7 Nice reach. Still calling BS on either her original celebration news or the post here."

#10 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-08-20 09:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-IOW, if someone was laid off, they could decide to turn lemons into lemonade, celebrate their retirement and collect both benefits. Neither fraud nor lying need be involved.

I've seen people do that AND file a work comp claim.

it's a hat trick!

#11 | Posted by eberly at 2021-08-20 09:17 AM | Reply

I think Sniper does that. More power to him. There's really no fiscally responsible reason not to take what is being offered.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-20 09:24 AM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY GRACIEAMAZED

Hey! Only I'm allowed to live off of other people's money!

-gracie

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-20 09:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Yes, You Can Receive Unemployment and Social Security at the Same Time"

Thank you Gal, that is a question that I have been concerned about. I honestly appreciate that info.

BTW, I just got Medicare in July because I always had the insurance from my employer before. I decided I needed to get a Medicare Advantage plan so I would have vision and dental and I don't have any health issues not on any prescription drugs.
I get 10 calls everyday from people trying to sell me their advantage plans but I don't know any of them and I don't know who to trust. So, I do know USAA insurance, I have my car and my home insured by them and they have been great for many years so I called them. I got an agent who was so professional, patient, rand who explained everything so completely that I was so impressed. I signed up for a plan that actually gives me back $120.00 every month from my $148.00 Medicare deduction from my SS.
USAA normally only accepts customers who are either ex-military or the children of ex-military people but they have opened the Medicare Advantage and Supplement coverage to anyone.
I am not, in any way, connected to USAA but I did feel that I was getting honest advice that I could trust after trusting USAA for so many years.
If you are looking for an Advantage or Supplemental plan it is a good place to get some professional and honest advice.
As I told the agent yesterday, I come from a very large family and we are all getting older so I advised them all to call there and some actually, already are.

#14 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-20 09:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I decided I needed to get a Medicare Advantage plan so I would have vision and dental"

How ridiculous is it, that these aren't covered by Medicare! Hearing aids too.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-20 10:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I get 10 calls everyday from people trying to sell me their advantage plans but I don't know any of them and I don't know who to trust."

Anyone think this is the best way for a nation to take care of its older adults?

These people calling Danni could have productive jobs.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-20 10:09 AM | Reply

"If someone was laid off and decided to retire as a result, it looks like they could collect both unemployment and social security. IOW, if someone was laid off, they could decide to turn lemons into lemonade, celebrate their retirement and collect both benefits. Neither fraud nor lying need be involved."

I was terminated from a position I held for 21 years. and they specifically said in writing that I had done nothing wrong but that the department could not afford to keep me. then they tried to tell me that wasn't a lay off.
Thing is, I'm pretty sure I qualify for unemployment but the state has set up their web site and their call center to make it nearly impossible to apply. When you try to apply online it just won't move to the nest step and I am very computer literate, having built websites and worked on computers for 30 years or so. So, I tried the phone number, you get put on hold, then disconnected over and over and over.
I honestly believe it is entirely intentionally done by our Governor who, when he first took office, actually stated that our previous Governor, ----- Scott, also a Republican, had intentionally had it set up to make it nearly impossible to apply but then DeathSantis kept it that way.
I am sorry, I hate to have political opinions about everything but, here in Florida, the Republican government is made up of a bunch of ------ who hate everyone who isn't in their club.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-20 10:11 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Doing what?
We produce more than enough food. Get cheap consumer goods imported from Asia.

Only thing left is the Scam Economy.

#18 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2021-08-20 10:12 AM | Reply

Anyone who has turned 65 years old knows what I am talking about all the calls from Medicare Advantage sales people, it is relentless. I'm not sure how exactly but my phone now identifies them as "Scam Likely" so I don't have to bother answering. That is truly a helpful feature of my iPhone.

#19 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-20 10:15 AM | Reply

The entire Unemployment Insurance system of Florida is designed to keep people from applying and getting benefits because if you do you show up as unemployed in the State number. The Republicans have made it nearly impossible so they can lie about the unemployment numbers here.

#20 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-20 10:15 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Here's Gracie's Governor at his best:

Amid staggering job losses in March and April, Florida's unemployment system was the slowest in the country to process claims. Residents described nightmarish experiences as they tried to get benefits. By April 20, just 6% of Floridians who had applied for unemployment benefits had received a check.

Gov. Ron DeSantis said that result was by design.

"Having studied how [the unemployment system] was internally constructed, I think the goal was for whoever designed, it was, 'Let's put as many kind of pointless roadblocks along the way, so people just say, oh, the hell with it, I'm not going to do that,' " DeSantis told a Miami CBS affiliate this week.

Florida's online system, known as CONNECT, debuted in October 2013 during the administration of DeSantis' fellow Republican Rick Scott, now a U.S. senator.

DeSantis said he wasn't sure if it was (Former Florida Governor and current U.S. Senator) Scott's intention to discourage people from applying for benefits, but that the system was certainly designed to produce that outcome.

"It was definitely done in a way to lead to the least number of claims being paid out," he said.

...DeSantis had been aware of the system's shortcomings since at least January 2019, because there had been "audit after audit," one of which was "sitting on the governor's desk" when he took office.

DeSantis has done nothing about it.

www.npr.org

#21 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-20 10:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#5 | Posted by danni

I certainly didn't. It is the truth and well documented just how bad Florida's system is. That mess was created by your last governor though.

#22 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-08-20 10:32 AM | Reply

I see help wanted signs all over town.

Will someone please send help to those people?

#23 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-08-20 10:56 AM | Reply

Pay $15/hr and the signs go away.

They can get help, they just don't really want it yet.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-20 11:19 AM | Reply