Friday, August 20, 2021

An Alabama doctor announced he would not treat patients who refused to get vaccinated against COVID-19, and since making the move, three people have gotten the shot. Dr. Jason Valentine, a physician at Mobile's Diagnostic and Medical Clinic Infirmary Health, posted a photo on his Facebook account of himself pointing to a sign reading that effective October 1, 2021, he would no longer see patients who refused the vaccine. "If they asked why, I told them covid is a miserable way to die and I can't watch them die like that," Valentine wrote in his post.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

According to data gathered by The New York Times, Alabama is the least vaccinated state in the country with just 36 percent of people vaccinated. Alabama has averaged 3,600 cases of COVID-19 per day over the past week, as well as 25 deaths from the virus per day in that same time period, per the data.

The Alabama Hospital Association President Dr. Don Williamson announced on Tuesday that only two of the state's 1,562 ICU beds were available. This figure excludes the availability of beds that must be moved to other areas of the hospital outside of the ICU.

As the situation in the state has become ever dire, Alabama doctors have joined Valentine in being vocal about the risks of refusing vaccination.

Newsweek previously reported on a doctor who posted to Facebook that intubated patients infected with COVID-19 were begging for the vaccine. Dr. Brytney Cobia told AL.com that of all the COVID patients she'd treated, only one was vaccinated.

"One of the last things they do before they're intubated is beg me for the vaccine," she wrote. "I hold their hand and tell them that I'm sorry, but it's too late."

Comments

Good for him, more should follow suit.

#1 | Posted by qcp at 2021-08-20 09:52 AM | Reply

Tough decision, although he could add a helpful P.S. to the effect that vaccine refuseniks might consider bypassing already stressed health professionals and cut to the chase by contacting a suicide hotline.

#2 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-08-20 01:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This isn't cool

#3 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-20 01:02 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

As much as I am unsympathetic to these people, this is just wrong if true

#4 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-20 01:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I don't think doctors actually take the Hippocratic oath these days. If they do, they can't provide abortion services.

But you're right, it's contrary to the principles of medicine to deny treatment, even for the terminally stupid.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-20 01:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Doesn't seem to violate the AMA's "Principles of Medical Ethics" (www.ama-assn.org), which, to my layman's eyes, appear rooted in the Hippocratic Oath. (Which also doesn't seem to be violated here, although I'm sure we'll get some opinion running in various directions.)

#6 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-08-20 01:08 PM | Reply

The sixth item in the AMA doc cited at #6 seems the passage most directly related to this topic:

"A physician shall, in the provision of appropriate patient care, except in emergencies, be free to choose whom to serve, with whom to associate, and the environment in which to provide medical care."

#7 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-08-20 01:11 PM | Reply

If you support freedum to reject vaccines and masks, you should support this doctor's right to freely associate with patients of his choosing.

#8 | Posted by bored at 2021-08-20 02:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

To quote Buzz Lightyear: "I don't believe that man's ever been to medical school."

#9 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-08-20 02:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I'm pretty sure he'd be in hot water if he decided to not treat blacks, Jews, homosexuals, transgenders, Muslims, Catholics, certain political parties, etc.

#10 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-20 02:53 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

This sort of thing was going to happen eventually.

I can only imagine how frustrated the medical community is when dealing with these --------

#11 | Posted by eberly at 2021-08-20 02:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Funny how freedom works.

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-08-20 03:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

If it is encouraging people to get vaccinated I have a hard time opposing it.

#13 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-20 03:27 PM | Reply

It's a betrayal of the Hippocratic oath.
#4 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses

There is a part of process of when there is not enough medical resources for all the patients. At that time they have to do what is known as triage.

Triage

At that point, it is who is most likely to survive, given treatment with the limited resources. They are put in a position of picking and choosing who will get attention first and who (if they are lucky enough) will get medical attention last, if at all.

#14 | Posted by BBQ at 2021-08-20 03:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

When a sick patient comes before a doctor, the doctor treats that patient. Period. Full stop.

There is no other question involved.

Treat the patient.

#15 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-20 09:34 PM | Reply

I unequivocally support anyone's right to choose who they interact with or do business with. The only exception is discrimination based on race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation or other legally defined category. Other than discrimination, I believe a business owner should have the right to deny service for ANY reason.

#16 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-08-20 10:58 PM | Reply

Lamplighter, morally/ethically I agree with you. A doctor SHOULD treat all patients. But he should not be forced to as a general rule unless it is an urgent matter of life and death. We all deserve the right to choose who we interact with, There are a myriad of reasons why a doctor may not wish to treat a particular individual, are we the public an impartial jury who can fairly determine the validity of those reasons? Nope.

#17 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-08-20 11:14 PM | Reply

Well, if he really can't stand watching people dying from COVID, I would think the thing to do is to just take a break from being a doctor completely.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-20 11:50 PM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

So you think anti-vaxxers should be coddled?

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-21 12:23 AM | Reply

There is no other question involved.
Treat the patient.

#15 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

That falls apart in extreme situations.

We are in an extreme situation.

It's not like this doc is choosing to go golfing over seeing a heart attack victim.

#20 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-21 12:24 AM | Reply

A doctor SHOULD treat all patients.

But if too much time or resources in one place effect multiple others there's a line to be drawn.

I would also suggest we remember doctors are humans.

Like every other human they have a limit. A line whereby they just go any further.

And when the 100th ------- gomer walks in with COVID because muh freedumz wouldn't let him/her get vaccinated...well, that person in the other room who deserves their time more gets it.

#21 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-21 12:27 AM | Reply

"A doctor SHOULD treat all patients."

I agree. Just as a legal defendant deserves legal counsel, everyone deserves health care.

I find it interesting that it seems to be the progressives who feel the doctor shouldn't be obliged to treat people. The same progressives who believe in universal health care for everyone, even those with pre-existing conditions.

Somewhere along the line, these progressives became disconnected in a major sort of way.

#22 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-21 12:38 AM | Reply

#22 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

No, "progressives" always "plan" with the assumption of unlimited resources. They love to spare no expense.

Doesn't work with medical care. And we're at the point where time is as valuable as any other resource.

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-21 01:06 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

They lived their self-absorbed truth. Only the strong survive blah blah blah. They deserve to die @$$ up on a ventilator then have their corpse stored in a refrigerator truck until someone can get around to burying it.

Heck... if you refused to be vaccinated and you get seriously sick don't bother going to the hospital... stay at home and die in front of your family.

#24 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-08-21 06:25 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Well if someone refused to be vaccinated because they didn't give a crap about catching or spreading it then why should anyone care if they catch and die of it?"

Likewise, if someone refused to live a healthy lifestyle and avoid butter, fatty foods, red meats, then why should anyone care if they get cardiovascular disease and die from it?

Same for people who like to be outside and catch skin cancer.

Or people who engage in high risk activities and get hurt.

Sure. Let these people die. It's their fault they got sick.

I take it you're not a big fan of the clause in the ACA or the clause detailing pre-existing conditions.

#25 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-21 07:36 AM | Reply

Alabama Doctor Refuses to Treat Unvaccinated Patients

Now that is a bridge to far. I think what he could say is that to treat anyone that hasn't been vaccinated or tested negative for covid within the last 24 hrs, they will be charged an additional, non refundable fee; payable at the time of service. That fee should cover the cost of PPE, disinfecting the waiting/treatment areas, medical equipment and any other charges associated with preventing the spread of covid to other patients and staff. The non vaccinated will eventually get the idea.

#26 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2021-08-21 07:56 AM | Reply

Actually Jakester I do feel very strongly about people abusing their bodies and the cost to other Americans... however... I can't catch obesity from someone else... or addictive substances from someone else... or a myriad of other "self-inflicted" diseases from others. Those destructive personal choices take place encapsulated within their own body.

ergo apples and oranges

When some oinker carelessly exposes me to something potentially life-threatening virus like AIDS or Covid ... well... -------.

They were willing to let me die like that... or even get that sick... it's hard to feel bad for them.

In fact, I don't feel bad for them.

Now go spread your silly false equivalents amongst the ignorant whom I sure buy it.

#27 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-08-21 08:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Why should a healthcare worker risk their lives and probably the lives of their families to help some fool who won't take the basic, free, steps to prevent themselves from contracting the illness?

#28 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-22 08:47 AM | Reply

"It's a betrayal of the Hippocratic oath. I'm skeptical this is from a real doctor of medicine"

With ICU units and hospital beds in short supply, medical professionals exhausted, I don't think it is a betrayal of these people at all. It is a warning of what is definitely going to eventually become the necessary future of healthcare. Our systems here in Florida are being overwhelmed by fools who refused vaccinations. At some point decisions will have to be made and those who choose the non-vaccination path must assume the risks associated. I noticed, in another thread, healthcare insurers are also refusing to absorb all the costs of the care for the unvaccinated and I have no problem with that either.

#29 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-22 08:53 AM | Reply

"If you were wounded by direct enemy fire I refuse to treat you. I can't watch them die like that!" - said no Corpsman ever.

This "Dr." might be a Millennial. Beware of friendly fire, Doc!

#30 | Posted by Miss_Credulous at 2021-08-22 09:48 AM | Reply

Direct enemy fire?

More like a self inflicted gunshot wound.

#31 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-22 09:51 AM | Reply

This is not new.
We have a local pediatric practice that does not take families that refuse to be vaccinated. They have options with other clinics so they do get care.
He has a rather small clinic and treats a number of high risk kids, cancer, post transplant, asthma for examples. They do not want people in their waiting and treatment rooms with preventible but highly contagious diseases such as measles and pertussis. These also are making a comeback in our area due to the number of people refusing to get any vaccines.
Personally, if you have not been COVID vacinated you will not be seen in my clinic. We provide a video or telephone option which seems to work out.

I'm not going to go back to another thread but I wonder if any that are castigating the physician were also in the 'let em die' and 'no ICU care or admission if you are not vaccinated' camp?

#32 | Posted by mattm at 2021-08-22 11:55 AM | Reply

I have absolutely no issue with the Dr. saying no. This isn't peculiar. If you aren't going to follow your physician's advice on things such as smoking, losing weight, then you may very well be 'fired' as a patient.

I got fired by specialist doctor because I switched from having a CT scan every two years to ultrasound every two years on the advice of my GP. The ultrasound was way way cheaper, safer, but it wouldn't help the specialist pay for their in-clinic CT scanner, so he said " I don't need to see you any longer."

#33 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-22 02:46 PM | Reply

Me neither. As long as it's not an emergency situation, why shouldn't the doctor say he doesn't want to treat a patient who doesn't want to follow his advice? Better for them both that the patient finds another doctor who agrees with him that not getting vaccinated is the way to go. If the patient can't find such a doctor, maybe that will tell him something important he needs to know.

#34 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-08-22 04:09 PM | Reply