Friday, August 20, 2021

Mike Richards will not become the new permanent host of the iconic daytime game show after all. Producer Sony Pictures Television announced the embattled Richards - who is also the show's executive producer - was stepping down from the role. ... The move follows a report by The Ringer on Wednesday resurfacing derogatory comments made by Richards on his podcast The Randumb Show in 2013-14, including mocking women's weight, calling one model a "booth slut" and repeatedly praising "the average white-guy host."

Comments

Just make Aaron Rodgers the new host and be done with it. Kill two birds with one stone. Clearly he does not know the answer to pretty much any of the questions he is asking the contestants. Just like the rest of us. There is an informality to his style that makes really easy to relate to. Alex Trebek was droll and suave. Aaron Rodgers, to his benefit, is neither.

#1 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-08-20 12:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

He sucked as a host before this #MeToo stuff came to light, and I feel like it's being bolted on after the fact to retcon why he had to go.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-20 12:13 PM | Reply

Hey so long as they keep mayim all is well.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-20 12:20 PM | Reply

@#2

I wondered why he was picked.

I figured he had something on someone. Turns out, someone had something on him.

Funny how karma works...

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-20 12:25 PM | Reply

"The move follows a report by The Ringer on Wednesday resurfacing derogatory comments made by Richards on his podcast The Randumb Show in 2013-14, including mocking women's weight, calling one model a "booth ----" and repeatedly praising "the average white-guy host.""

Oh the horror.

When you are impotent to actually go after the bad buys in society like the fascist rapist ex president, it makes you feel like you're fixing things to go after someone else instead.

#5 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-08-20 12:46 PM | Reply

The same people demonizing him for saying offensive things are saying offensive things about him. That pretty much sums up the hypocrisy of Liberals today.

#6 | Posted by humtake at 2021-08-20 12:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

@#6

... and the false equivalency of "both sides" returns.

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-20 12:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#4 He is the executive producer, so he gets to pick the next host. He picked himself. It's like when the police investigate the police and find the police did nothing wrong.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-20 12:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I don't know anything about this but one look at this smug ----- tells me he's a grade a jerk

#9 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-20 12:54 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by humtake

That's almost on par with republican hypocrisy when they claim to love america but hate democracy and their fellow americans.

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-08-20 01:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Richards' being picked reminded me of how Dick Cheney ended up being picked for VP after an 'exhaustive search' for Bush's VP. Richards did a credible job, IMO.

I've been a daily Jeopardy watcher for decades. Even have a picture of myself at 12 in front of the Christmas tree happily holding the Jeopardy game I got that Christmas.

IMO, my favorite guest hosts were Ken Jennings, Mayim Bialik, and Joe Buck, the last guest host. Most of the others weren't the kind I'd want to watch day after day for years. Guess we'll see what happens next.

#11 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-08-20 01:21 PM | Reply

I feel like it's a role you'd need many, many episodes to grow into. Ken Jennings seems like a good fit just because he spent so long on the show. The other people I couldn't say, I rarely watch Jeopardy. But I do know two people who were on it, as one and dones.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-20 01:32 PM | Reply

LeVar Burton For The Win!

#13 | Posted by ND_Perspective at 2021-08-20 01:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I'll take meaningless apologies for four hundred please.

#14 | Posted by Docman at 2021-08-20 01:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

It should be LeVar Burton.

If he wants it.

#15 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-08-20 01:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Whoever wrote that headline has obviously never watched Jeopardy. You give the answer and the contestant provides the question.

#16 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-08-20 02:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I love LeVar Burton I totally would enjoy seeing him as Jeopardy's host but I'm guessing they're looking for a host whose younger.

It is a real shame though burton seems like a great guy and already has three fan bases and it would be awesome for him to have a fourth.

#17 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-20 02:18 PM | Reply

Jesus Christ Chumfake, your whataboutism knows no bounds!

"Both sides are the same, both sides are the same - SQUAWCK! Polly want a cracker!"

#18 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-20 02:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#16 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIST

Brilliant.

#19 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-08-20 02:36 PM | Reply

I loved seeing Mayim Bialik as host and it seems like it is time to have a woman who is brilliant, funny and very likeable. It would be a great celbrity show with her co-stars from Big Bang Theory.

#20 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-20 02:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I find Bialik to be cloying.

#21 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-08-20 02:41 PM | Reply

Should the headline with the word which or what?

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-20 03:00 PM | Reply

#19 | Posted by ClownShack

This New Host of Jeopardy Just Got Fired

#23 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-08-20 03:14 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Category: Firings
A: His podcast comments put him in this for a TV show of the same name.
Q: Jeopardy

#24 | Posted by bored at 2021-08-20 03:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

"Q: Jeopardy"

Sorry...must be in the form of a question. We were looking for What is Jeopardy?

#25 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-08-20 04:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

@#24

So close...

#26 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-20 04:13 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY LEGALLYYOURDEAD

What is the standard Trumpublican response when faced with facts proving Trump's incompetence, wrongdoing, and lies?

#27 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2021-08-20 04:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#23 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIST

Two for two.

Thanks for the laughs.

Overall a great thread.

#28 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-08-20 05:42 PM | Reply

I don't get to trot this out much, but one of my good friends dated not one but two women who were on Jeopardy, both redheads. Not at the same time.

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-20 11:59 PM | Reply

"both redheads. Not at the same time."

well why not?

And how did that ever happen anyhow?

#30 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-21 12:03 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY

Completely missed Joe Buck's time as host. Could be interesting, but from his day job at the NFL I feel like Buck likes the sound of his own voice lol. I liked Aaron Rodgers and LeVar

#31 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-08-22 10:02 AM | Reply

I wouldn't wish Joe Buck on anybody...

But since I watch a lot more sports than game shows,

Come On, Joe Buck!

#32 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-22 10:57 AM | Reply

LeVar is a world-class badass!

#33 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-08-22 11:00 AM | Reply

>I wouldn't wish Joe Buck on anybody...

As an Indians (Guardians!) fan, i can't see the name 'Joe Buck' without hearing his call from the 2016 Indians/Cubs World Series, fawning over Cubs player
"Kyle SCHWAAARBER!!!"

Someone Indians fan ended up setting up a marriage registry online for Buck and Schwarber.

#34 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2021-08-22 11:34 AM | Reply