Saturday, August 21, 2021

Tom T. Hall, a Country Music Hall of Fame artist who wrote unassuming songs with distinct depth, died Friday at age 85. ... A consummate country songwriter who captured life's intimate details with lighthearted songs such as "I Like Beer," penned the classic "That's How I Got To Memphis" and showcased era-defining sharpness with "Harper Valley PTA," Hall entered the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2008, alongside Emmylou Harris, The Statler Brothers and Ernest Stoneman.

Comments

"A consummate country songwriter who captured life's intimate details with lighthearted songs such as "I Like Beer," penned the classic "That's How I Got To Memphis" and showcased era-defining sharpness with "Harper Valley PTA," Hall entered the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2008, alongside Emmylou Harris, The Statler Brothers and Ernest Stoneman."

Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine

www.youtube.com

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2021-08-21 12:27 AM | Reply

"Harper Valley PTA" really is a novella packed into a song. Well done, sir, well done. RIP.

#2 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-08-21 08:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Wow, another favorite singer of mine passes away. I'm starting to read these more often nowadays.

Here's my favorite:
"The Year Clayton Delaney Died"

youtu.be

God Bless, RIP

#3 | Posted by shane at 2021-08-21 10:34 AM | Reply

"I like beer."

RIP, Tom.

#4 | Posted by anton at 2021-08-21 08:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Harper Valley PTA" a song about Southern Conservative Hypocrites. Some things never change.

#5 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-08-22 06:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I had to retire performing one of my favorite country songs. "The Fair Collector" about a romance with a toll taker. With the advent of EZpass and Pay by Plate, no one knows what a toll collector is anymore.

#6 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-08-22 08:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Boy, howdy. Time marches on!

#7 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-08-22 08:42 AM | Reply