Monday, August 23, 2021

The Food and Drug Administration on Monday gave the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine its full approval -- the first COVID-19 vaccine to reach that status in the United States. More than 200 million Pfizer shots have already been administered throughout the country, making it the most widely distributed COVID-19 drug as of Friday ...

Comments

Firm backing from the FDA is also expected to pave the way for vaccine mandates at organizations that have been wary of potential legal implications, although courts have so far indicated a willingness to uphold such requirements in light of a strong legal precedent to do so. A growing number of schools, health care centers, government institutions and private businesses are requiring people who enter their facilities to be vaccinated or comply with public safety measures such as testing or masking.
Hopefully, this approval will move many of the hesitant to get vaccinated ASAP.

Now, on to the refusers.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-08-23 10:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Moderna should follow soon. My two doses were
Moderna.

#2 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-08-23 10:29 AM | Reply

Finally, the skeptics will begin racing to get vaccinated!

Right?

#3 | Posted by cbob at 2021-08-23 10:57 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

This sane and sensible Conservative got the 2nd Moderna shot March 3rd.
I will be looking to get the booster the minute the timing is right.

#4 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-08-23 11:11 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I'd ask for the anti-vaxers' response to this but they're all too busy moving goal posts to comment.

#5 | Posted by qcp at 2021-08-23 11:13 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 11

This sane and sensible Conservative got the 2nd Moderna shot March 3rd.
I will be looking to get the booster the minute the timing is right.

#4 | POSTED BY PHESTEROBOYLE

I hope you're talking to the rest of your people to get them to do the same.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-23 11:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The anti-vaxxers will be commenting right after they get the latest right wing talking points.

When my kids had to get their first vaccinations in order to be allowed in the public schools they had a very valid argument; i.e. "but shots hurt!"

#7 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-23 11:41 AM | Reply

What excuse will they come up with NOW?

#8 | Posted by e1g1 at 2021-08-23 11:49 AM | Reply

Phester:
Thank you for getting vaccinated. You are protecting both yourself and many others. PLEASE, convince one other person to do the same.

#9 | Posted by e1g1 at 2021-08-23 11:50 AM | Reply

#9 | Posted by e1g1

I will second that but good luck. I have talked to at least a couple dozen hold outs. I have been both rational and empathetic. The Antivax is so strong reason and empathy have zero impact. One I know did eventually get vaccinated but that was because his father-in-law died and his mother-in-law ended up in a rehab as she recovered.

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-08-23 12:06 PM | Reply

This sane and sensible Conservative got the 2nd Moderna shot March 3rd.
I will be looking to get the booster the minute the timing is right.

#4 | Posted by phesterOBoyle

Did you do it in secret like the leader of your cult did, so it wouldnt hurt your anti science credibility?

#11 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-08-23 12:13 PM | Reply

What excuse will they come up with NOW?

#8 | Posted by e1g1

"You can't trust the FDA under biden, they rushed it through, it's not really safe, something about immigrants..."

#12 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-08-23 12:14 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'm in the AstraZeneca trial and got my second dose on December 30th. We were unblinded, so I know I wasn't in the placebo group. I volunteered for the trial because I figured that someone had to. When COVID vaccines were first being discussed, I said I'd wait to see how others react before getting it. But I quickly realized that me waiting meant that I was expecting the elderly and those with conditions putting them at greater risk for COVID complications to test the vaccine for me. How screwed up would that be? I'm relatively young (44) and extremely healthy and strong. I'm exactly the kind of person who should be testing the vaccine so others don't have to. The moment I realized the implication of my plan to wait, I got onto the NIH's site and found the trial.

The issue is that I'm > 8 months out from my second dose, so a booster probably makes sense. Who knows if AZ is still effective? I'm glad I participated in the trial, but it does put me in an odd position. I hate lying, but I'm tempted to get over it and go get a Pfizer dose as a booster. I'm pretty sure they won't give it to me if I tell them I received 2 doses of AZ. The good news is that studies are showing that AZ + Pfizer is a winning combination.

#13 | Posted by Unisphere at 2021-08-23 12:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What excuse will they come up with NOW?

#8 | POSTED BY E1G1 AT 2021-08-23 11:49 AM | REPLY

Well of course the FDA was going to approve what choice did they have?

#14 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-08-23 12:40 PM | Reply

#13 - Contact your study team. AZ has started testing boosters as well as a revised version of the vaccine that is supposed to provide better protection against Delta and other emerging variants. Your participation in the initial trial could help them gather very valuable data and allow you to get included on receiving a booster.

#15 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-08-23 12:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

What Johnny said, and I want to say thank you. Like the docs and nurses et al, you are a hero.

#16 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-08-23 12:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

This is the point in the story where the usuals go from "it's being rushed" to "what took so long". Cause you know, "principle" and all that

#17 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-23 12:45 PM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES

They want rattles and bibs, and won't rest until they get them.

#18 | Posted by Zed at 2021-08-23 12:56 PM | Reply

No wonder Fox News viewers are so screwed up.

Fox Anchors Complain Pfizer's FDA Approval Was Both 'Rushed' and 'Took So Long' in Under a Minute

secondnexus.com

It's like their news department is run by schizophrenics.

#19 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2021-08-23 01:07 PM | Reply

I thought we got T-shirts with our second shots. I'm still waiting on my "Team Pfizer" T, since I hear wearing one attracts liberal gals. With my booster I am definitely getting my 2022 desk calendar...

#20 | Posted by catdog at 2021-08-23 01:08 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Oh good. I'm planning to spend the afternoon darting local Republicans.

#21 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-23 01:17 PM | Reply

www.newsweek.com

Hopefully Moderna's not far behind. Their app was submitted shortly after Pfizer's. There's much more to it than time, of course.

Thanks to everyone who's been vaccinated. And special Thank You to UNISPHERE for your part in the development process. That's pretty special.

The excuses of the anti-vaxxers are wearing out. Although it appears Fox News is working on new excuses.

#22 | Posted by El_Buscador at 2021-08-23 01:47 PM | Reply

Here at the local jails you are not allowed to have contact visits with your clients unless you are able to present a 'vaccine passport'. And even then you still have to wear a mask. Personally, I am in complete agreement with this policy.

#23 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-08-23 01:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Credit were credit is due.

This is the BioNTech vaccine.

#24 | Posted by bored at 2021-08-23 02:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Also, phester, congrats on getting vaxxed and being public about it, inspite of the expected push back from fellow conservatives.

#25 | Posted by bored at 2021-08-23 02:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What excuse will they come up with NOW?

#8 | POSTED BY E1G1

That's an easy one.

They'll claim we don't know enough about the long term consequences of these vaccines.

I've had multiple people make that claim to me in conversations.

When I ask what long term consequences we should be looking for based on other vaccines they dodge the question and blather on about nonsense about mRNA vaccines that indicate they don't know what they are or how they work.

#26 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-23 02:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Related...

Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccines Coming Soon for US Service Members Following FDA Approval
www.military.com

...An order making the COVID-19 vaccine mandatory for U.S. service members will be issued "in the coming days" after the Food and Drug Administration formally approved the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine Monday.

Defense Department spokesman John Kirby said that troops should expect updated guidance this week, including a timeline for them to be fully vaccinated....

Also...

DoD Records Deadliest Week of the Coronavirus Pandemic; Five Service Members Lost
www.military.com

...The Defense Department recorded five additional deaths of service members from COVID-19 in the past week, the deadliest for the U.S. military of the pandemic.

According to Pentagon data published Wednesday, 34 service members have now died of coronavirus infections, up from 29 a week ago. During the same time frame, the DoD recorded 4,156 new infections among U.S. troops, bringing the total for the pandemic to 222,138....

#27 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-23 02:29 PM | Reply

I had this conversation with a few friends this weekend.

I asked if they were considering getting their kids (8th graders) vaccinated. These guys are very far to the right so I knew how they would respond.

It shifted immediately to the idea of being forced to get it. Not that it works or doesn't work or anything like that.

"No, they aren't vaccinated and if anybody even suggests we are going to require it...my kid comes out of that school same day!!"

It's a paranoia over the requirement.

But with FDA approval.....that's a huge step for employers.

#28 | Posted by eberly at 2021-08-23 02:42 PM | Reply

#27 | Posted by LampLighter

Not to fuel the conspiracy theories, but one would also have to wonder if this wasn't a reason for the approval as well.

#29 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-08-23 02:47 PM | Reply

Does anyone know where this puts the updated shot from Pfizer? Approved as well?

#30 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-08-23 02:47 PM | Reply

We still don't have a vaccine to cure the brainwashed masses who watch Fox, OAN and Newsmax, so I'm only mildly optimistic about this development.

#31 | Posted by chuffy at 2021-08-23 03:01 PM | Reply

We got the email today:

Company policy requires all employees, contractors, and vendors to be fully vaccinated by October 30.

Good news.

#32 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-23 08:55 PM | Reply

Good news.

BC announced a vaccination card requirement today... goes into effect next month.

#33 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-23 09:09 PM | Reply

Yep one of my co-workers in BC was pretty hype about that.

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-23 09:13 PM | Reply

I don't go out much but I see no issue with it. I'm as vaxxed as I can currently get.

#35 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-23 09:18 PM | Reply

260,000 new cases yesterday (Monday) COVID is going in the wrong direction. It was about 200,000 on Friday. People refusing to vax or mask are putting everyone else in jeopardy. With hospitals filled to the brim with COVID patients who wouldn't get vaccinated, heart attack, stroke, auto injuries, and more are put in peril.

Come one, anti-science morons. Next time you chant "GO USA!" remember you basically gave the middle finger to your friends and neighbors and fellow Americans. And put their lives at risk while you were at it.

Simply because you won't trust the science or the same people you rely on when you're sick or injured.

Vaccines work. Wanna die? Go ahead. But you're killing other people with your 'freedumb' s***.

#36 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-08-24 02:56 AM | Reply

Link to daily COVID statistics by state/nationally:

www.google.com

#37 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-08-24 02:57 AM | Reply

That is a very good link fir stats. Note that when you toggle to deaths per million people (instead of total) the red state vs blue state argument falls apart. New York, New Jersey leading the pack, Florida coming in at #21

#38 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-08-24 03:22 AM | Reply

FOR some reason my phone autocorrects for to FIR and I don't always catch the typos on my tiny screen. Sorry about that.

#39 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-08-24 03:24 AM | Reply

Posted by Miranda7

All time pandemic, sure. It hit NY and Jersey first - and hard - because that's where the highest number of overseas flights land in the U.S.

Currently, FL leads the pack in new infections and daily deaths.

Yesterday:

- Florida had 42,143 new cases

- NY state had 3,836

Those are the facts ...

#40 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-08-24 03:42 AM | Reply

#41 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-08-24 03:42 AM | Reply

Posted by Miranda7

Happens to the best of us.

Perhaps there's a grove of fir trees somewhere that needs attention :-)

#42 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-08-24 03:46 AM | Reply

New York, New Jersey leading the pack, Florida coming in at #21

#38 | Posted by Miranda7

Note 1: FL hides their true numbers. Have since the beginning.

Note 2: Look at those state's graphs of deaths over time; a significant proportion of deaths in NY/NJ/CA occurred during the early days of the pandemic when we had zero idea how to treat it. Look at states like FL; the majority of those deaths occurred after the hard lessons were learned by initial waves in states like NY.

In other words, the deaths in states like FL and TX are willful and largely political.

#43 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-24 07:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"the red state vs blue state argument falls apart."

Come on, man.

#44 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-24 07:37 AM | Reply

JPW

That's why whenever I post daily COVID cases I usually add "that we know about." Because of DeSantis, Abbott, and other GOP governors who try to hide the worst of it.

Hell, DeSantis fired the woman in charge of reporting data on COVID cases and deaths to make him appear to be managing things better than he is, which isn't saying much, and had medical examiners (who report to him) quit being so ... truthful.

#45 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-08-24 07:43 AM | Reply

We don't want it.

#46 | Posted by ASUknowir at 2021-08-24 03:10 PM | Reply

Who's "we" and what is "it" that you "don't want"?

#47 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-24 03:14 PM | Reply