Thursday, August 26, 2021

The veteran US Capitol Police officer who killed pro-Trump rioter Ashli Babbitt went public Thursday, revealing his identity and defending his actions on January 6. "I know that day I saved countless lives," Lt. Michael Byrd said in an interview with NBC News. "I know members of Congress, as well as my fellow officers and staff, were in jeopardy and in serious danger. And that's my job."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"I hope they understand I did my job," Byrd said of the Republicans who've criticized him. "There was imminent threat and danger to the members of Congress. I just want the truth to be told."

Comments

Why do Trumpers hate police officers?

The irony of Trumpers attacking police officers on Jan 6 with flag poles that had the Blue Line flag will go down in history. Shame Republicans can't read.

#1 | Posted by Sycophant at 2021-08-26 09:58 PM | Reply

This guy is either an idiot or he is among the most courageous people alive.

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-26 10:06 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Poor bastige. Bring on the dirty laundry.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-26 10:09 PM | Reply

Re #2

When did it become stupid and dangerous to speak the truth in America?

#4 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-08-26 11:36 PM | Reply

Perhaps he should have choke slammed her and then submitted her with a 9 minute neck kneel.

#5 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-08-27 04:14 AM | Reply

When surrectionists are storming our capital it is time to use lethal force to stop them, were I incharge that day machine guns would have mowed down those traitors by the dozen, it would have demonstrated the real truth about insurrection in the United States. We do not tolerate it and we will kill you if you attempt it. The Officer who shot that stupid insurrectionist bitch did his duty to his country. Don't want to get shot, don't try to invade our Capital and murder our Vice President, Speaker of the House and try to prevent the Constitutional duty of our Congress to certify free and fair elections just because you don't like the outcome of those elections.
There is no legitimate defense for what those insurrectionists did and they deserved to be shot an killed at the time and since we didn't kill most of them we must incarcerate them for long periods of time. And realize what incarceration does to a person, they will almost all lose all personal property they own, they will lose their licenses to do business, lose their jobs, become almost unhirable, lose their homes and....I don't give a crap and I don't feel sorry for them in the slightest. We had the black underclass, who had legitimate complaints against our nation, create the Million Man March but they didn't try to invade our Capital nor disrupt the actual funtioning of our government. the kpieces of filth that did try to do those things are beneath contempt and there is no excuse for any of them.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-27 08:40 AM | Reply

Remember when we had to "fight the terrorists over there, so we don't have to fight them here"?

This officer was just fighting them here, successfully.

#7 | Posted by anton at 2021-08-27 08:54 AM | Reply

From my childhood through January 5, 2021, my assumption was that if an individual, let alone a massive group of people, tried to breach the Capitol, White House, or any other federal building, they would be mowed down with automatic weapons fire. If that had happened on January 6, I wouldn't have been surprised. I'd have been shocked and even empathic to the families of the dead, but I wouldn't have felt like something was amiss. Seeing that crowd invade the capitol with so little resistance was truly shocking. What if it had been heavily armed foreign actors? I think we know the answer based on the response on January 6. Has the policy changed? I have no idea, but the insurrectionists made a pretty pitiful attempt, but I'm sure others now have a foundation for more successful action.

#8 | Posted by Unisphere at 2021-08-27 10:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

'What if it had been heavily armed foreign actors?"

One word: WOLVERINES!

#9 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2021-08-27 02:13 PM | Reply

Check it out unisphere has been here for 10 years and hasn't posted before recently.

#10 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-27 02:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 1