Thursday, August 26, 2021

"The thing that everybody needs to understand, even if you completely agree with the Biden administration's decision to withdraw, the way they have handled this has been a total fucking disaster," said Moulton, who traveled to the country with Republican representative from Michigan, Peter Meijer. "It will be measured in bodies, because a lot of people are dying because they can't get out

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"Refugees are going to start dying today if we don't get them help in places like Qatar. Thousands will get slaughtered by the Taliban if we don't somehow devise a plan to get them out before we leave," Moulton said. "These are all things that the administration has failed to do, and I know that because the people on the ground are telling me."

The White House did not respond

Comments

It's a shame these people can't get out.

Biden needs to step up and get them out, but not bring them here

- - jhakasster pendejo

#1 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-27 01:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I will agree that comrade Belldinger's posts are a ------- disaster.
I could translate into his native ruskie language if he wants.

#2 | Posted by a_monson at 2021-08-27 04:54 PM | Reply

It's highly likely that the MIC sabotaged the the implementation of the withdrawal, although one could argue that should have been anticipated.

#3 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-08-28 08:03 AM | Reply

"The thing that everybody needs to understand, even if you completely agree with the Biden administration's decision to withdraw, the way they have handled this has been a total disaster,"

When has there been a military withdrawal in the middle of a civil war that was not a disaster? I mean I'm no fan of how this has played out but is there a scenario under which the US withdraws and everyone in Afghanistan is like ok, we are going to play it cool now?

#4 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-08-28 01:13 PM | Reply

#4 - I think the military should have been left in place until all civilians and refugees were evacuated. That would have helped their plight a lot. Also, Biden should not have let the Taliban set the red line withdrawal date. When they did, Biden should have responded, "We'll be out when we are out."

#5 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 01:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Don't get me wrong: I'm very pleased that Biden is getting US troops out of that hellhole. The withdrawal could have been planned better.

I hope he doesn't stop US troop withdrawal with Afghanistan. It's time the rest of the world learns to police themselves. This is something Trump promised, but like most of what he said, fell short.

#6 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 01:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

until all civilians and refugees were evacuated.

Evacuated to where?

20 years of America terror in the Middle East and all we did was create massive diaspora.

Afghanistan. Iraq. Syria. Libya.

Those countries were far from perfect.

But at least they weren't bombed out shhtholes.

What did we accomplish other than making the entire reign more extremely conservatives and anti Americans?

Some of the dumbest wars have been waged over the past 20 years.

#7 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-08-28 03:07 PM | Reply

Remember when these asshats would run around in circles chanting "Monday morning quarterback" at every critique of the GQPedos handling of Iraq and Afghanistan?

Those sure were the days of "principles"

#8 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-28 03:08 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

We are leaving military in place until all US citizens are evacuated. And since when did Biden let the Taliban set the withdrawal date? The agreement called for a withdrawal by May 1. The Biden administration extended that until August so they could get US civilians. As for refugees, where are they supposed to be evacuated too? In October of 2020 the Trump administration reduced the US refugee cap to 15K for 2021. Why is it that the administration that negotiated the withdrawal then turned around and cut the number of refugees when they knew a surge of new refugees from Afghanistan would be coming?

Still waiting to hear someone explain how the US could have possibly the terms of the withdrawal agreement without it turning into a humanitarian disaster. What is happening in Afghanistan was the predictable result of that agreement.

#9 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-08-28 04:03 PM | Reply

"We are leaving military in place until all US citizens are evacuated."

A nominal number which was 3,000, but Biden raised to 5,000. Military evacuations began when he announded the withdrawal, except for them.

"And since when did Biden let the Taliban set the withdrawal date?"

I think it was three days ago that they said August 31, not May.

"As for refugees, where are they supposed to be evacuated too? "

The same place the southern border refugees would be a good place. The Afghans have it much worse than the Mexicans coming into our country.

"In October of 2020 the Trump administration reduced the US refugee cap to 15K for 2021."

Trump isn't president. Biden is, so he makes the rules now. A disgraced excuse for an ex president does not.

" Why is it that the administration that negotiated the withdrawal then turned around and cut the number of refugees when they knew a surge of new refugees from Afghanistan would be coming?"

Again, Trump is not president. Democrats need to understand this and move on. Blaming Trump because Biden didn't do the right thing is just ------- pathetic.

#10 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 04:38 PM | Reply

Biden didn't do the right thing

He didn't?

You would have preferred permanent occupation?

#11 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-08-28 06:51 PM | Reply

"
#10 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

Do you have any idea how government works? If you did then you'd spare us that lame, tired excuse.
A president is not a dictator. Changing policy can take years. There are procedures that must be followed.

#12 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-08-28 09:52 PM | Reply

"A president is not a dictator. "

Exactly. And an ex-president even less so.

So if Trump reduced the refugee cap as you allege, why can't Biden raise it?

Listen, I get it that it's chic to blame Trump. And I love to see him get his comeuppance as I can't stand the man. But I'm not one to toe the party line just because. Liberals don't do that. Progressives, however, do.

#13 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 10:06 PM | Reply

#12 - I was curious about the cap you mentioned. You were wrong. It doesn't take years to change, unless Trump initiated the increase to the current 62,000, which I doubt seriously happened. So either you are right that it takes years to change, or you are wrong and the president does indeed have dictatorial powers. Isn't that what an executive order is basically?

www.migrationpolicy.org

#14 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 10:19 PM | Reply

#14 it still requires

how myopic can one be? Raising the cap is but one step. Even the article you posted states it requires consultation with Congress.
Simply raising the ceiling doesn't address staffing and budget levels to vet and process refugees. Biden even acknowledged when he announced the increase that it didn't mean the government actually has the capability to process that many by the end of the fiscal year.

#15 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-08-28 10:48 PM | Reply

Myopic is a polite way of phrasing it.
BTW your posts are dead on on this, Johnny_Hotsauce.
The troll is doing his best, though.

#16 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-28 10:50 PM | Reply

"Raising the cap is but one step. "

It is the one step you brought up, so it is the one step I addressed and on whose description I proved you wrong.

If you want to redefine your argument, I'm willing to play. You have Yav who is obviously wanting to join in and double team me. So it should be an even debate.

#17 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 10:57 PM | Reply

And I love to see him get his comeuppance as I can't stand the man.

When exactly does trump get his comeuppance? I haven't seen him pay for anything ever. ----, he's probably our next president.

#18 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-08-28 10:57 PM | Reply

nd double team me

Wah.

#19 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-08-28 10:57 PM | Reply

Profound. And killfiled. You clearly have nothing to offer.

Bye, Alexandrite.

#20 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 11:00 PM | Reply

I have goatman killfiled, but he just made another account to get around it.

#21 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2021-08-28 11:06 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

So if Trump reduced the refugee cap as you allege, why can't Biden raise it?

He already has ...

#22 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-08-29 05:35 AM | Reply

Killfiled over "Wah."?
Jakester's one pathetic little snowflake. Goddamn that's sad.
Alexandrite's comeback was classic!
"I have goatman killfiled, but he just made another account to get around it."

LMAO!

#23 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-29 08:44 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#33 - "Killfiled over "Wah."?

Close. That was just the latest in continued personal attacks and never responding with substance.

As I've said many times, I'm here for meaningful discussion, and Alexandrite has failed to provide it. It has nothing to do with being a snowflake. But somehow I think you make yourself feel better imagining that is the reason, so believe what you want. We all want you to be happy.

#24 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-29 08:55 AM | Reply

I see you announced you kill-filed me.
So sad. Big tears. /s

#25 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-29 09:34 AM | Reply

"That was just the latest in continued personal attacks and never responding with substance."

I dunno, maybe he HASN'T been here before.

But I doubt it.

#26 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-29 08:36 PM | Reply

"But I doubt it."

LOTS of tells; some have been pointed out over the last few days.

#27 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-08-29 08:44 PM | Reply