Saturday, August 28, 2021

When U.S. Army veteran Daniel Wilkinson started feeling sick last week, he went to the hospital in Bellville, Texas, outside Houston. His health problem wasn't related to COVID-19, but Wilkinson needed advanced care, and with the coronavirus filling up intensive care beds, he couldn't get it in time to save his life. "He loved his country," his mother, Michelle Puget, told "CBS This Morning" lead national correspondent David Begnaud. "He served two deployments in Afghanistan, came home with a Purple Heart, and it was a gallstone that took him out."

Comments

Is this what politics disguised as freedom brings to us as a Country?

Is this what politics disguised as freedom results in?

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-27 08:06 PM | Reply

Womp womp.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-27 08:08 PM | Reply

That's odd. I use the VA facilities in Houston, and I was told they were taking in civilian patients because they had beds. I wonder why the VA couldn't take him?

#3 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-27 08:29 PM | Reply

@#1 ... Is this what politics disguised as freedom results in? ...

When one persons supposed freedom starts to negatively affect others, where is the limit of that freedo?

Is freedom absolute?

The Supreme Court has ruled time and time again that the Second Amendment is not absolute. So Rights given by the Constitution are not absolute.

Where does your freedom to move your fist end? Does it end when your fist hits another person?

Serious question.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-27 08:33 PM | Reply

#4 - The judge that ruled against DeSantis today went on and on about just that, example after example, case after case. You'd have enjoyed that part of his ruling.

#5 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-27 08:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#4

Thanks, I was not aware of that.

But it is yet another court decision against Trump supporters and enablers that I'll have to read.

I want to understand the decisions, but I am not a lawyer, so it takes me a while to digest them.

But there have been so many of late that I've a backlog.

Really, though, thx for the pointer...

{sigh}

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-27 08:47 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY JAKESTER AT 2021-08-27 08:29 PM | FLAG: ------- LIAR

#7 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-27 11:16 PM | Reply

#3 nobody wants to go to the VA, they'll kill you ... one way or another, sooner or later.

#8 | Posted by ichiro at 2021-08-27 11:43 PM | Reply

#8 - as someone who gets their health care from the VA, I can say from first hand experience you are wrong.

#9 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 12:34 AM | Reply

'I use the VA facilities in Houston, and I was told they were taking in civilian patients because they had beds."

Was that "last week" when Covid was rampant, or some other time?

#10 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-08-28 12:38 AM | Reply

Just wait till some elderly hillbilly has a grandchild in the same situation.

There's going to be a bloodbath and it's all thanks to Trump.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-28 01:17 AM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

You just answered your own question.

#12 | Posted by kudzu at 2021-08-28 07:15 AM | Reply

What happened to our huge VA proponent that was always posting VA support?

#13 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-28 07:19 AM | Reply

While I haven't seen any mention of this, if Mr Wilkinson had been vaccinated, this would be doubly tragic.

OCU

#14 | Posted by OCUser at 2021-08-28 10:42 AM | Reply

Trump killed this veteran

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-08-28 05:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Things like this should not be happening in America and wouldn't be had the Pandemic had been handled by Doctors and Scientists instead of politicians. Yesterday, here in Florida, one of those evil, selfish politicians got his comeuppance in a Florida court. He'll appeal it but I think the decision by the judge was so detailed and based on the laws of the state, that an appeals court would embarrass itself if they overturned his decision. And the peoople of Florida agree with that judge with a 60% majority. When thinngs like the tragic loss of that Veteran's life I hope more Americans start considering politicians using COVID for political advangage to be the real -------- that they are.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-28 05:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#3 ~ JAKESTER, the Retort's Devil's Advocate.

#17 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-08-28 07:35 PM | Reply

What a tragic, preventable death. This time caused by the anti-science/anti-vax/anti-mask crowd.

#18 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-08-28 08:37 PM | Reply

AU

This is one case we know about. The real tragedy is how many cases there are across the country that we never hear about. My guess is the real number is staggering. So sad.

#19 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-08-28 09:03 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

Is that a serious reply? You essentially just said 1+1 = I have no idea.

#20 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-08-29 11:17 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Do you have to use screen reading software to access this website or do you just have to get really close to your screen?"

My reading glasses usually do the trick.

And yes, that was a serious reply.

#21 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-29 11:55 AM | Reply

My reading glasses usually do the trick.
And yes, that was a serious reply.
#21 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

So you don't really have any excuse.

#22 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-08-29 12:19 PM | Reply

#22 - I don't have any excuse for what? I'm unclear at what you are driving.

#23 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-29 12:21 PM | Reply

As they say in the south, bless your heart.

#24 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-08-29 04:06 PM | Reply

#24 - only grandmothers and old aunts say that.

#25 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-29 04:38 PM | Reply

#24 - they also say, "Give me some sugar." I kind of like that one.

#26 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-29 06:43 PM | Reply