Saturday, August 28, 2021

The US has conducted an airstrike against an ISIS-K planner, Central Command spokesperson Capt. Bill Urban said in a statement: "US military forces conducted an over-the-horizon counterterrorism operation today against an ISIS-K planner. The unmanned airstrike occurred in the Nangahar Province of Afghanistan. Initial indications are that we killed the target. We know of no civilian casualties," the statement said

Comments

The drone strike was in direct retaliation for the attack that killed 13 Marines, wounded 18 others, and killed at least 170 others at Kabul airport.

#1 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-27 09:50 PM | Reply

Early news.

I hope it is correct.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-27 10:05 PM | Reply

#2 - yes and no. It could very easily escalate and make things worse for the remaining Americans there.

#3 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-27 10:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I hope "planner" means someone who turns people into suicide bombers.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-27 10:10 PM | Reply

That is how they are identifying the term and target - as the planner for attacks, including the one on Kabul airport.

The Taliban are likely pleased with this action.

#5 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-27 10:22 PM | Reply

@# ... The Taliban are likely pleased with this action. ...

Yes, war makes for strange bedfellows.

(strange bedfellows, wow, is that a weird idiom....)

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-27 10:26 PM | Reply

He was pretty successful for a "planner"

#7 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2021-08-27 10:51 PM | Reply

He was pretty successful for a "planner"

So was Bin Laden, but he was more of a strategist.

#8 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-27 10:59 PM | Reply

"(strange bedfellows, wow, is that a weird idiom....)"

You've seen Three Stooges where they're all in one bed.
Not strange, just dated.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-27 11:02 PM | Reply

@#9 ... You've seen Three Stooges ...

For better or worse.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-27 11:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

If you think "strange bedfellows" is a weird idiom, you may not realize how less idiomatic it is than isn't! Enjoy!
www.enotes.com

#11 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-28 07:14 AM | Reply

I just saw The Tempest a week ago.

#12 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-28 07:46 AM | Reply

Sorry but I have my doubts that this target planned anything. Too convenient. Unlikely that this report is true and I support Biden but I still don't believe this report. I wish I actually believed this story but I just don't.

#13 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-28 08:57 AM | Reply

Good!
I hope he's enjoying his ------- to Allah.

#14 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-08-28 08:58 AM | Reply

"The concern if for the health of Diane Feinstein, especially if Dems lose the CA Governor's mansion."

My biggest complaint about the 3 stooges was that there were actually 4 stooges. Even as a young kid I could count past 4. Shemp anyone? Doesn't he count?

#15 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-28 08:59 AM | Reply

"Not only have I seen the Three Stooges, they are an indelible part of my childhood memories."

The comment I was responding to in #15. I pasted the wrong comment.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-28 09:01 AM | Reply

Boo...you suck America- Jakester and the GOP Traitors

#17 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-08-28 09:48 AM | Reply

#18 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 10:39 AM | Reply

"it is truly sad how few people here can discuss topics intelligently"

Then why don't you leave?
You're just here to insult people, is why.
Pretty amazing that you've somehow managed to become a more reprehensible person than before.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-28 10:44 AM | Reply

It is the Drudge Retort, after all.

#20 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-28 10:49 AM | Reply

#20 - so your assertion is this is not the place to be for intelligent dialogue?

#21 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 10:53 AM | Reply

"#17 - it is truly sad how few people here can discuss topics intelligently. That's probably why after more than 15 years this site hasn't grown any larger than it is."

No, that is a lie, the people you can't discuss topics intelligently because your argument require us to buy into lies and some of us just won' do it. And, like Snoofy said, you can leave any time you want. You won't be missed.

#22 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-28 11:05 AM | Reply

this is not the place to be for intelligent dialogue?

#21 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

We are still waiting for that from you.

#23 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-08-28 11:06 AM | Reply

#13 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2021-08-28 08:57 AM | REPLY

I agree. That was my first thought...this is too convenient. Just a way to make that 8/31 deadline more palatable. Well it's not. We're going to leave behind Americans and allies in what is now a terrorist nation state.

#24 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-08-28 11:29 AM | Reply

#24 - I agree with you and Danni, but for different reasons. It doesn't seem likely the intelligence necessary to determine who was responsible and to make such a precision attack could be gathered so quickly, especially during the hubbub and commotion of an evacuation.

#25 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 11:36 AM | Reply

This action was almost certainly the result of information given by the Taliban. The Taliban hate ISIS and want to kill them. They also don't want Americans in Afghanistan and don't want to give Americans any reason to stay. The Taliban also obviously have better intelligence on the ground about such operations. By giving America the people responsible for the attack, they can prevent re-engagement of US forces while killing enemies they'll just have to fight anyway.

#26 | Posted by s1l3ntc0y0t3 at 2021-08-28 11:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Could be a lot of things. This person was likely already a known targeted individual but probably wasn't often out in the open away from civilians. Some Tali dude sends an invite to have him travel alone, or with other MAMs, then dronestrike.

#27 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-08-28 12:04 PM | Reply

Also could have been a situation where intel gained from him alive was more valuable than him dead - but when the ground commander at HKIA ignored the I&W reports of impending attack - the resulting attack warranted a reaction.

#28 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-08-28 12:05 PM | Reply

The jig is up Jeff. I tried that "intelligent" conversation with you for years...you are a tired sock puppet.

#29 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-08-28 12:05 PM | Reply

#28 - It could be any of those things. It's just that I've never seen the government single out a person and whack him so quickly.

How long did it take Obama to find OBL? And he presumably had many times the resources looking for him. I remain skeptical.

#30 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 12:09 PM | Reply

#29 - this sock puppet business amuses me. Yesterday I was accused of being goatman and Gracie. You say I'm Jeff. I've been accused of being a few others by a few other people since I've been posting here. As I said yesterday, if I'm all these people, perhaps it's best to call me Sybil.

Paranoia runs rampant in this site.

#31 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 12:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#26 | POSTED BY S1L3NTC0Y0T3 AT 2021-08-28 11:43 AM | FLAG:
(CHOOSE)

I keep hearing about this hatred between the Taliban and ISIS so it doesn't make sense that when the Taliban took over the prisons they freed thousands of ISIS fighters. Why would they do that if they want to kill them?

#32 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-08-28 12:17 PM | Reply

30 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

IMO, these Daesh dudes and their various affiliates are not professionals. They sometimes are able to seize open opportunities, but when it comes to protecting their leaders - ez.

As you mentioned, tracking Usama vs tracking and eliminating Al-bagdadhi (daesh leader).

#33 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-08-28 12:18 PM | Reply

The killing of the ISIS-K guy was fairly straightforward. Information is shared, vehicle is located, satellite-directed drone delivers a Reaper missile. Very clean. I am hoping somebody shares the video!

#34 | Posted by john47 at 2021-08-28 12:19 PM | Reply

#32 | POSTED BY SCOTTE
Shia vs Sunni battles, a tale as old as time.
In AFG, Tali actually kept or executed Daesh leaders - per media reports.

#35 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-08-28 12:19 PM | Reply

#29 - this sock puppet business amuses me.
#31 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

Clearly, since you've been emotionally invested in maintaining the "Jakester" sock puppet persona since your glorious return.

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-28 12:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Meanwhile the 1/6 planner walks free.

White American male privilege has its perks.

#37 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2021-08-28 12:47 PM | Reply

You have a horrible situation where there are 100,000 people in a fairly small area with terrorists all around them. It didn't take a genius in mmilitary strategy to figure out where to explode a bomb and start shooting poeple. That said, the idea that we identified the planner of the operation and successfully killed him is a bit too much to swallow.

#38 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-28 12:53 PM | Reply

"It didn't take a genius in mmilitary strategy to figure out where to explode a bomb and start shooting poeple."

Maybe not but it take the ability to pass through Taliban security checkpoints with explosives and guns. If there was credible information on a pending terrorist attack at the gate and we were sharing intelligence with the Taliban why didn't they step up the security?

We know 13 US soldiers were killed but it hasn't been said if it was all from the bomb or were some of them shot? And when the shooting started where was the Taliban...why weren't any of the shooters captured or killed?

GoNoles you didn't explain why the Taliban having thousands of their sworn enemy in a prison they now control would turn them lose.

#39 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-08-28 01:27 PM | Reply

Scotte, seems like reports are mixed on the allegation of thousands of Daesh prisoners freed:
Though ISIS-K fighters were released during the Taliban's final, rapid push for control of the country, the Taliban also made a point to execute ISIS-K's former leader in the process. After the Taliban marched into the capital, Abu Omar Khorasani " the former head of the Islamic State's Afghanistan affiliate " was taken from Pul-e-Charkhi by Taliban militants and promptly killed alongside eight other ISIS-K members, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Could be an issue of western media attempting to catalogue foreign fighting units, could be a prison break in the fog of battle, who knows. Current understanding is that Daesh's goal is to undermine Tali government structure in order to establish a caliphate.

#40 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-08-28 01:59 PM | Reply

Thanks Noles,
I suppose accurate information in such a chaotic situation is impossible.

#41 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-08-28 02:09 PM | Reply

If it took ability, you wouldn't use the asset as a suicide weapon.

#42 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-08-28 02:18 PM | Reply

"in order to establish a caliphate."

I'm not sure but I thought there was no historical claim to a re-establish the caliphate in Afghanistan. It didn't go that far East.

You'd think that would matter, to people trying to #MAGA

#43 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-28 03:27 PM | Reply

The Taharids of Afghanistan were part of the Abbasid Caliphate that stretched from them in the East to Spain & Morocco on the West.

#44 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-08-28 04:40 PM | Reply

I suppose accurate information in such a chaotic situation is impossible.
#41 | POSTED BY SCOTTE

No worries! Tough to accurately figure out what is going on in the world thousands of miles away, and considering the various amounts of filters information may be passing through before it reaches us in the US. I appreciate the discussion.

#45 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-08-29 05:05 PM | Reply