Saturday, August 28, 2021

A University of Georgia retiree-rehire professor resigned on Tuesday after one of his students refused to properly wear a mask in an upper division psychology seminar class held at the psychology building. ... The 88-year-old psychology professor [Irwin Bernstein] explained to the student that he could die from COVID-19 due to underlying health conditions such as Type 2 diabetes, hypertension and age-related problems, Bernstein said in an email to The Red & Black. Only about 15 minutes into the Tuesday lecture, which consisted of Bernstein taking the student attendance, he asked the student to pull her mask up again, but this time, the student did not respond.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"Professor Bernstein said, 'That's it. I'm retired,' and we watched him pack all of his papers into his bag and walk out of the classroom," [student Hannah] Huff said.

Comments

Headline whould read "Selfish Bitch Throws Fellow Students Under the Bus." Why is an idiot like that enrolled in a psychology class in the first place? She would have zero compassion for anyone suffering from mental illness. She should be expelled from the University.

#1 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-28 09:23 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

And the selfish ------- laughed when he walked out.
She's the kind of sociopath Psych grad that Cheney would want to head up the "Enhanced Interrogation Techniques" program.

#2 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-28 09:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Obviously she has her values, and they're clearly not going to change even when someone asked you to do something that will make them feel comfortable

Selfishness isn't a value.

I personally do not agree that stimulating the economy is more important than people's lives and am disappointed that some people feel that it is

Because you're a decent human being and not a selfish piece of filth.

No need to apologize for that.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-28 10:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

It sounds like he had an awful student in his class and I agree with his returning to retirement rather than die for money.

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-28 11:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

The seminar, primarily filled with upperclassmen, is a requirement to graduate for all psychology majors.

Well, I guess that's one way for the non-masking Psych major to put off her impending unemployment.

#5 | Posted by censored at 2021-08-28 11:33 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

Good for him for watching out for himself.
Poor character on the student's part.

#6 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-08-28 12:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Good for him for watching out for himself."

It was probably done with the knowledge that the teacher's union was watching out for him, too.

#7 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 12:29 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#7 | POSTED BY JAKESTER

Surprisingly ignorant of how academia works, yet expert on all things.

#8 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-08-28 12:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#8 - so it appears you still lean on ad hominem rather than a meaningful response. Seems childish responses are all you are capable of.

I don't come here for schoolyard taunting. I come here for meaningful discussion, which you fail to provide. Another one hits the killfile.

#9 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 12:47 PM | Reply

Rcade,
Didn't like the killfile thing from the start.

But a modest proposal. How about a limit on how many people one can plonk?
After a certain point it gets to be obvious that you can't get along and are truly unhappy here.
You would actually be doing that person a favor by forcefully sending them on to greener pastures.

Good morning Jakester.

#10 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-28 01:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

As Jagger would say

To post in this town you must be tough tough tough toooouuuuggghhh.

#11 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-28 01:12 PM | Reply

It wasn't an ad hominem as much as I want you to explain "The teachers union" at the collegiate level.

Especially among retiree-rehire and emeritus faculty.

#12 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-08-28 01:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Or were you just regurgitating crap you hear on the radio?

Yes you were

#13 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-08-28 01:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Meaningful discussion"

Good grief

This idiocy seems so very familiar

I encourage this cretin to block us all, that way we can ridicule this morons posts in peace

#14 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-28 01:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

" Wants a "meaningful discussion" but goes to an anonymous site and calls himself "jakester" to get it"

"Jakester" (aka Goatman) also has referred to himself as a "liberal" in this incarnation.

Got intellectual dishonesty?

#15 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-08-28 01:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"How about a limit on how many people one can plonk? After a certain point it gets to be obvious that you can't get along and are truly unhappy here"

If you notice, it's always a member of the Butthurt Brigade, the permabanned whose egos just couldn't take it. So they return, carrying a grudge as large as Mt. Olympus.

#16 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-08-28 01:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Got intellectual dishonesty? #15 | Posted by Danforth

He didn't strike me as the type to be so foolish as to eschew vaccination, unlike some of the former posters who have disappeared from this site, so I figured the 'rona didn't get him at least.

#17 | Posted by censored at 2021-08-28 01:49 PM | Reply

Hopefully student gets doxxed and then cancelled.

#18 | Posted by byrdman at 2021-08-28 01:55 PM | Reply

Looks like someone's still butthurt from getting their ass kicked yesterday. I love watching a good meltdown, especially when it spills over into the next day.

"Oh, I was wondering what happened to goatse. Good to hear that he's still kicking around."

My being Goatman (wish I could have met the fellow. He gets a lot of press for someone who doesn't post here) depends on whom you believe. Some will tell you I'm Jeff (never met him, either) some say Gracie (*shudder* That one truly offends me) and there are a few other suggestions from the highly paranoid.

Nope. I'm just me, myself, and I.

#19 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 01:57 PM | Reply

I'm not convinced

The build up and emotional arc to ultimate meltdown is certainly reminiscent of goathead..
But other "invitation only" know-it-all's had similar behavior when they found themselves unable to escape their obvious error(s).

I'm leaning towards the departed persona who liked to say "have an honest discussion" while lying and demand we observe "the progress we have made" while engorging the what's in front of us today

#20 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-28 02:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I'm assuming you mean "Jeffster?"

That's the cues that I'm picking up from him.

#21 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-08-28 02:38 PM | Reply

"wish I could have met the fellow. He gets a lot of press for someone who doesn't post here"

^
This is one of the saddest things I've witnessed on the DR.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-28 03:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Even if he's not a retread, Jakester is hilarious in that he whines about civil conversation all the time while being a usual DR nut kicker to others.

Then whines about plonking people when he's called on it.

Whatever. Let him plonk away if he wants.

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-28 03:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I don't think he's Goatman, because he would have had at least one Boaz-sized meltdown by now...he fits the bill of a "Re-educated" conservative trying to escape the Trump stink...namely one from the Metro Detroit area.

#24 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-08-28 05:00 PM | Reply

Although, I could see a little bit of Sheeple in him as well...although I'm pretty sure he would have died from COVID by now.

#25 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-08-28 05:02 PM | Reply

As soon as he whined about ad homonyms, I knew it was Goatster.

Always parrying over semantics, while walking a mile to avoid addressing the actual ethics associated with the subject of the thread?

Da Goatster!

Hey, Goat, I mean Jake, how many toes do you have left?

#26 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2021-08-28 05:33 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

" I don't think he's Goatman, because he would have had at least one Boaz-sized meltdown by now..."

Take a read of his reaction to backing a lie yesterday. Classic.

#27 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-08-28 05:34 PM | Reply

The incessant posting of psychological babble about Gracie's happiness a while back was a sure sign we all should've caught.

#28 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-28 05:38 PM | Reply

#26 - we need to change the name of this place to the Jakster/goatman/gracie/jeff/and more Retort.

This place really is one paranoid bunch.

#29 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 05:39 PM | Reply

" Nope. I'm just me, myself, and I."

Well, yeah ... now.

But that wasn't the question, was it? The question was have you posted on the DR under any other name(s), and if so which one(s)?

You posted what Woodward and Bernstein used to call "a non-denial denial".

#30 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-08-28 05:43 PM | Reply

Hmmm, couldn't even spell your own name right, Jake?

#31 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-28 05:46 PM | Reply

Touche'

I stand corrected...as soon as I saw the "me myself and I" I take that back

That is classic Goat, complain about ad hominem and then make it all about him.

Sheesh, you would think after a while you would get the hint that nobody likes you, not Trumpers, not Dems, not a six year old child that just learned how to read.

#32 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-08-28 05:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I liked goatman. His ability to tie people up in knots over totally irrelevant details was an art form, and fun to read from the position of observer.

I hope Jake isn't goat, if so he is seriously slipping in his old age.

#33 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-08-28 06:19 PM | Reply

#33 It's all the bad parts without any of the cooking tips or funny anecdotes.

The parts that people liked about him, he has to keep those secret to maintain the facade that the new persona is a genuine person.

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-28 06:23 PM | Reply

This place really is one paranoid bunch.
#29 | POSTED BY JAKESOFF

Why would you put yourself in the same group as Gracie?

A person you vehemently pretend to dislike.

Thing about you is. Your posts read funny from the get go.

#35 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-08-28 07:02 PM | Reply

I can't help but picture him walking on the classroom to the tune of damn it feels good to be a gangsta.

#36 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-28 10:05 PM | Reply

"The idiot student may find themselves the subject of lawsuits from their classmates."

On what grounds would they sue the idiot student?

#37 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 10:07 PM | Reply

Anyone in this country can sue anyone else, for anything.

#38 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-29 01:21 PM | Reply

Actions, whether they be refusal or compliance, have consequences.

Now there's a whole class, lacking the ability to complete a required course, without seeking another class on the same curriculum, no doubt over crowding the all ready full classes already scheduled.

There should be a whole lot of students ostracizing this one refusenik but then that goes right to the heart of how vaccines have become political, instead of a health issue.

#39 | Posted by BBQ at 2021-08-29 07:02 PM | Reply

Actions, whether they be refusal or compliance, have consequences.

It's funny how the left likes "consequences" for things unless it's a decision or view they hold.

This teacher is just grand standing. He could have asked the student to leave or called the campus authorities to remove the student.

#40 | Posted by boaz at 2021-08-30 08:33 AM | Reply

"This teacher is just grand standing."

And what was the student doing, by choosing to endanger the teacher's life?

#41 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-30 08:38 AM | Reply

And what was the student doing, by choosing to endanger the teacher's life?

Again, stop moving the subject. The teacher was grandstanding and had a right to ask the student TO LEAVE removing a perceived threat.

#42 | Posted by boaz at 2021-08-30 08:52 AM | Reply

Has anyone noticed, as long as YOU give up a right, it makes everything with Democrats easier?

#43 | Posted by boaz at 2021-08-30 08:53 AM | Reply

"The teacher was grandstanding and had a right to ask the student TO LEAVE removing a perceived threat."

Just because he had a right to, doesn't mean he should have.

The teacher was in a high risk situation. He did what he thought was best to minimize his risk exposure.

Why is that a bad thing?

Is it because he didn't give two ----- about how his actions would negatively affect others?

Congratulations, you just condemned everyone who won't wear a mask or get vaccinated!

Now go get your shine box.

#44 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-30 09:25 AM | Reply

#43 | Posted by boaz

Ever notice how you require everyone else to accommodate you?

It's called selfishness, not freedumz.

#45 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-31 12:00 AM | Reply