Saturday, August 28, 2021

The natural immune protection that develops after a SARS-CoV-2 infection offers considerably more of a shield against the Delta variant of the pandemic coronavirus than two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, according to a large Israeli study that some scientists wish came with a "Don't try this at home" label. The newly released data show people who once had a SARS-CoV-2 infection were much less likely than vaccinated people to get Delta, develop symptoms from it, or become hospitalized with serious COVID-19.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The researchers also found that people who had SARS-CoV-2 previously and then received one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine were more highly protected against reinfection than those who once had the virus and were still unvaccinated. The new work could inform discussion of whether previously infected people need to receive both doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine or the similar mRNA vaccine from Moderna.

Comments

Great. Get the vax anyway.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2021-08-28 10:34 AM | Reply

How about people who had COVID, and also got vaccinated?

"The researchers also found that people who had SARS-CoV-2 previously and then received one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine were more highly protected against reinfection than those who once had the virus and were still unvaccinated."

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-28 10:56 AM | Reply

I'm gonna start licking doorknobs for my booster shot.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-28 11:05 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Could we do something like this?

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-28 11:09 AM | Reply

"I know there was a time when to guard against smallpox people were exposed to cowpox."

You'd have to come up with a variant that doesn't send people to the hospital, and that's not likely to arise naturally, or particularly quickly in the lab.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-28 11:19 AM | Reply

#4 -fun fact: The word vaccine comes from the same Latin root as cow for that reason.

#6 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 11:19 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

With cowpox you had a scar on your arm so everyone knew who had been vaccinated.

#7 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-28 11:21 AM | Reply

#7 I was optimistic the unvaxxed would start wearing the yellow Star of David... I guess that didn't quite go viral.

A MAGA hat or a Back The Blue t-shirt is a good proxy measure though.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-28 11:26 AM | Reply

This is a different conclusion than I've gotten from reading other papers comparing natural immunity to vaccination, but that's likely because of the metric being measured.

Previous data compared neutralizing antibody levels whereas this mentions outcome.

I would take it with a grain of salt for a few reasons, though.

A. It's a preprint.

B. The numbers are small. Not the overall numbers, which are sufficient to power this study, but the actual number of break through cases. On each type of analysis they conducted they found breakthrough infection rates in fully vaccinated individuals of about 1.5% with age of 60 or greater being the only statistically significant predictor or risk factor.

In other words, vaccines are still incredibly effective. It's just that infection + 1 dose is better.

Interesting data and findings (I've recommended to all people I know who have been infected to get one dose). I'd be interested to see if infection + vaccine = vaccine + infection, as that would mean the "natural booster" of a low-grade or sub-clinical infection in vaccinated individuals would go a long way to decreasing the time frame we have to deal with COVID.

Also, this article is actually quite terrible in how they present the data. I wrote, for the first time, an email to the author expressing my disgust at such a blatant handing of info to anti-vaxxers. The Science News article is entirely irresponsible and tone deaf to current events.

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-28 11:38 AM | Reply

Sorry, that was supposed to be post 1 but I got distracted writing the email to the author and Science editorial board.

#10 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-28 11:39 AM | Reply

Just wondering

I flagged Jake's #6 as funny. Curious, if he goes to the recently flagged page will he be able to see my wretched plonked name?

#11 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-28 11:45 AM | Reply

Could we do something like this?

#4 | POSTED BY TOR

The OG vaccine.

That is what is called a live attenuated vaccine. A pathogen that has been weakened so it doesn't cause disease but can still infect you and cause a potent immune response.

There are other examples of them and they tend to work best.

They also take a long time to develop and are considerably more risky than inactivated or mRNA vaccines.

#12 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-28 12:27 PM | Reply

"The OG vaccine"

What can I say our Fields overlap at times.

It's unfortunate that it's so risky.

#13 | Posted by Tor at 2021-08-28 01:10 PM | Reply

#8 I really thought the stars had more legs than that

#14 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-08-29 09:17 AM | Reply

I'm admittedly relieved COVID went through our household last September and we're all vaccinated.

#15 | Posted by horstngraben at 2021-08-29 12:30 PM | Reply

#15 - it wasn't confirmed, but I'm pretty sure I had it last year. For several days I was sicker than I ever had been in my life, and I rarely get sick. I didn't have all the symptoms, (e.g., I never had a fever, but I never get fevers) but not everyone does. But again, this may have been because I rarely get sick anyway

#16 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-29 12:34 PM | Reply

Haha big -----, red hair, and green eyes too I bet

#17 | Posted by JasonM at 2021-08-30 09:16 AM | Reply

Great . Get the disease. If you don't die, the likelihood of you catching it again is less than it would be if you only had the vaccine.

#18 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2021-08-30 12:57 PM | Reply

Or...get the vaccine. Get a mild infection that boosts and expands your immunity and remove 99.99% chance of clogging an ED or ICU bed.

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2021-08-30 02:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1