Saturday, August 28, 2021

An Illinois mother says a Cook County judge decided to strip her parental rights over her refusal to get the COVID-19 vaccine, according to a local report. Rebecca Firlit told FOX 32 Chicago that Cook County Judge James Shapiro revoked all of her parenting time with her son until she gets vaccinated. "I miss my son more than anything. It's been very difficult. I haven't seen him since August 10th," Firlit told the outlet. A spokesperson for Shaprio told FOX 32 that the judge could not comment on the ruling due to the ongoing nature of the case. Firlit, who has reportedly been divorced for seven years and shares custody of her son with her ex-husband, said she does not want to get the vaccine due to previous adverse reactions to vaccines, according to FOX 32. "He was placing his views on me. And taking my son away from me," Firlit said of Shapiro. Her attorney, Annette Fernholz, believes the judge overstepped his bounds.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"In this case you have a judge, without any matter before him regarding the parenting time with the child deciding, Oh, you're not vaccinated. You don't get to see your child until you are vaccinated.' That kind of exceeds his jurisdiction," Fernholz told FOX 32.

Comments

Works for me.

Now if she can get a doctor's note for a medical exemption, I think the judge should honor that.

Most of all though: They should ask the kid if he wants to be near his unvaccinated mother.

Finally, if you are living in AZ and your child is living in IL... you don't really want the child in your life.

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-28 12:35 PM | Reply

Freedumbz must be coddled and upheld. Just get the damn shots. More grandstanding by the foolish.

#2 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2021-08-28 01:09 PM | Reply

The article doesn't say she is a tweaker meth head. I wonder why, (not really)

I guess fox doesn't want to that detail interfering with the manufacturing of some disingenuous outrage

#3 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-28 02:13 PM | Reply

They should ask the kid....

You have any kids?

#4 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-28 02:19 PM | Reply

Hell no. Well, except by Republican standards by which I mean, my child was murdered in the womb. Womp womp.

I am in favor of giving the child a sense of agency.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-28 03:06 PM | Reply

In Az you can drop off your kids at the firestation, no questions asked.

Well they ask alot of questions.My kids are 38 and 44.

#6 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-28 03:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

LOL

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-28 03:32 PM | Reply

I stand by my assessment that if she doesn't live near the kid, she effectively waives her parenting rights.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-28 03:33 PM | Reply

I'm ok with this. She was endangering her kid with her behavior. So the Judge did what was best.

#9 | Posted by byrdman at 2021-08-28 08:36 PM | Reply

#9 - I'm not OK with it. If it was the right thing to do, then there are millions of kids who must be taken from their anti-vax parents. Where is the state going to keep them all? Also, the state should not be in the parenting dictation business as it applies outside of our legal system. As of now, there are no laws requiring vaccinations. How can the state take a kid away from a parent who is not breaking any laws?

Bad precedent.

#10 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 08:40 PM | Reply

^
Obviously the judge is in possession of all the facts in this decision

Unlike you who only has a few paragraphs of outrage from Fox News

Talk about bad precedent

#11 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-28 09:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"then there are millions of kids who must be taken from their anti-vax parents."

You lie.

This kid wasn't taken from anyone.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-28 09:50 PM | Reply

I tried and tried to find one reputable site that covered this story. She gave her interview with Fox "news" only, clearly because she knew where to find a sympathetic ear that wouldn't question the details of her story.

I found a Chicago source, but the huge picture of Hitler kinda nixed that as a reputable source.

#13 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-28 10:25 PM | Reply

#13 - You seem to be suggesting it didn't happen. I'm very pleased to hear that. When judges start snatching children from their law abiding parents, we have a big problem.

I just noticed it's a Gracie topic. No more need be said.

#14 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-28 10:32 PM | Reply

{yawn}

#15 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-28 10:47 PM | Reply

"When judges start snatching children from their law abiding parents, we have a big problem."

^
Reading between the lines here, we find:

"But illegal immigrants? They're not law abiding. It's okay for Uncle Sam to snatch their kids."

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-29 12:05 AM | Reply

The comments on the Fox32 link are indistinguishable from "Jakester"'s take on this..

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-29 12:19 AM | Reply

#17 - No kidding. Every time that poser throws out his troll bait about who's a liberal and who's a progressive I laugh. His thinking we're that stupid should be embarrassing to him.

#18 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-29 08:42 AM | Reply

Yav, you spend far more time talking about me than discussing topics with me. I don't come here to talk about me

Last week I deliberately didn't post for several days hoping you and a couple of others would get over your obsessions with me. You didn't. As you said, it's the Drudge Retort. It's not the Jakester Retort.

You are killfiled as of now. I'm sure your compulsion to talk about me and your Gracie-like sock puppet obsession will continue, but at least I won't have to continue to watch it unfold.

Bye.

#19 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-29 09:09 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I don't come here to talk to you at all, "Jakester."
You're a fraud and a liar.
So ---- off.

#20 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-29 09:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm skeptical of her claim that the ruling is simply over a covid vaccination. We are only hearing her side in this and other reports. There is a lot of detail missing from this story. The report says they've been divorced for 7 years and have a shared custody agreement already in place. Which party requested the hearing and for what reason? It wasn't because she refuses to get vaccinated. Her lawyer confirmed as much. Is the covid vaccination an actual condition of the order or is it coincidental? Like perhaps she was ordered to do some action such as enter rehab but the rehab facilities in her area require vaccination as a condition of in-patient care? Very lazy reporting.

#21 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-08-29 11:05 AM | Reply

"I don't come here to talk about me"

You come here to talk about other people talking about you.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-29 11:09 AM | Reply

#21 Considering she lives in Mesa and the hearing was in Chicago, it seems reasonable the father asked to be the sole custodial parent.

How do you split custody across a 26 hour drive?

If she can't be trusted with a choice, how can she be trusted with a child?

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-29 11:19 AM | Reply

Who posted this ridiculous non-story?

#24 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-29 11:32 AM | Reply

# 23 - She's in Arizona? The Fox headline says "Illinois mom says..." and the first words of the article say "An Illinois mother says a Cook County judge..." and the article doesn't mention Arizona at all. Lazy reporting and that omission as well as the fact the reason for the hearing is not reported sure gives reason to suspect this is an agenda driven report from Fox...well that and the fact it is a Fox report.

#25 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-08-29 12:00 PM | Reply

Photo caption:
An Arizona mother says a Cook County judge decided to strip her parental rights over her refusal to get the COVID-19 vaccine, according to a local report.

First paragraph:

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-29 12:02 PM | Reply

#26 - LOL! Absolute garbage from Fox.

#27 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-08-29 12:15 PM | Reply

"I have a plug-in that blocks videos so I wasn't seeing the video or the caption."

Good idea. Much like the killfiles here. There are those (one in particular) who think you're a sissy if you block things you don't want to see, though. I don't agree of course and I doubt if you give a ---- what those people think either.

#28 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-29 12:17 PM | Reply

I have no idea where she is, orbif she exists. I'm just going off what the Internet tells me.

And the Internet tells me, maybe this is her LinkedIn? Note: Spelling of "HIPPA"
www.linkedin.com

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-29 12:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Who posted this ridiculous non-story?

Just Gracie doing her usual Chicago bashing. Must not have been enough shootings there this week to get her off.

#30 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-08-29 02:32 PM | Reply

Lazy reporting and that omission

That's not by accident.

This bullshht is what Trumpers read everyday for news.

Blatant lies.

Dumbfffks.

#31 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-08-29 02:37 PM | Reply

I simply cannot take any position on this thread. I don't know the judge, I don't know who represented her in court nor what other issues were contested. I know of crooked judges right here in Broward County Family Court who have taken custody from mothers when the evidence was totally ignored by those judges. It is a devastating blow to a mother and I just don't have enough information here to agree with the decision or disagree with it. The consequences of a decision like this can be devastating for the child and the mother and the entire fammily. I do not think any responsible journalist would have broadcast this story, family court issues should not be publicized on national platforms.

#32 | Posted by danni at 2021-08-30 02:03 PM | Reply

arstechnica.com

...Update 1 pm EDT [August 30, 2021]: Cook County Judge James Shapiro has reversed his earlier decision and is now allowing an unvaccinated mother to see her son in person. "Judge Shapiro just issued an order vacating portions of his prior order of August 11th so Rebecca Firlit can see her son again," Annette Fernholz, Firlit's attorney, told WFLD....

#33 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-30 02:25 PM | Reply

The sheer irony of this story - like Faux "News" cared about asylum seekers losing custody of their children? GFY.

#34 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-08-30 03:20 PM | Reply