Tuesday, August 31, 2021

The Pentagon said Monday the U.S. had completed efforts to evacuate its remaining civilians and troops from Afghanistan, effectively ending the longest war in American history.

Comments

Another view...

U.S. Forces Leave Afghanistan, Ending 20-Year Military Presence
www.bloomberg.com

...The U.S. officially ended its military presence in Afghanistan on Tuesday with the final flight out of Kabul, concluding two decades of American involvement touched off by the Sept. 11 terror attacks, Bloomberg News reports.

"I'm here to announce the completion of our withdrawal from Afghanistan," General Kenneth McKenzie, the head of U.S. Central Command, said Monday afternoon in the U.S. ...

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-08-30 04:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

...
Mission Accomplished

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-08-30 05:44 PM | Reply

Well if I was piloting this plane, which for some of you who don't know, is a form of conveyance, I would circle back and shoot everyone I saw ratatat-tat. Then I would poop on a nuclear warhead and drop it on their pee-pees while screaming "free bird" with kid rock

That'll Learn em'

- - jakesterbombz

#3 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-08-30 06:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

Mission ------------------

#4 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-08-30 06:16 PM | Reply

And we are OUT.
OUT of Afghanistan.
Done.

Thank you Joe Biden for being the leader we needed to finally close this down.
You did what four other Presidents wouldn't do.
You got it done.

#5 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-30 06:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

DONE.
Biden did what four other Presidents did not or would not do.
Finally.

#6 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-30 06:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Good. Let those primitive ----- civil war themselves to death.

I hope Biden has the balls to continue doing the right thing and bring all American troops home. I hope this was just the beginning of a good thing.

#7 | Posted by jakester at 2021-08-30 06:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Taliban!
Taliban!
Taliban!

God's army.

#8 | Posted by bored at 2021-08-30 06:57 PM | Reply

Glad it's done, wish i felt like celebrating but I don't.

#9 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-08-30 07:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Thank you Joe for doing what the bloated------------- couldn't do.

#10 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-08-31 07:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Finally, a president willing to do what should've been done long ago. And shame on Bush for making an op a quagmire and Obama for not putting on those big boy pants and doing what needed doing. Of Trump? A belly flop, as ever.

#11 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2021-08-31 07:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Dammit.
You did what four three other Presidents wouldn't do.
Biden's the fourth President to reside over this war, and now the last one.

#12 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-31 07:59 AM | Reply

We should've been out of Afghanistan long ago but the way in which Biden did it was a totally f@#ked up. Leaving behind American citizens and allies for a self imposed deadline.

#13 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-08-31 10:43 AM | Reply

How many American citizens have been left behind and why, Scotte?
Are they purely 100% US citizens?

Self-imposed deadline that was extended from Trump's agreed upon date by 3 months.
It could have been so much worse. In fact, in every single time in our history it has been worse - sometimes spectacularly worse - than this.

This has been a model of getting it right based on our past.

Do you have no concept of what War is or means?

You don't like it, don't go to war in the first place.

Hell yes I'm celebrating, somberly, that this is OVER. I'm glad Biden has the experience of knowing what loss is about to put an end to America's losses, even if he takes a hit for doing what is right. Finally.

If you think staying longer would have accomplished more or changed things for the better you haven't been paying attention. You're living in a make-believe world.

#14 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-31 10:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Yav, he had 8 months to get all Americans and allies out, and if you look at the superb execution of the military over the past few weeks you can see it was entirely possible. It's inexcusable to leave Americans behind in a terrorist controlled state.

What's an acceptable number of Americans to leave behind for you Yav?

#15 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-08-31 12:08 PM | Reply

Not really a self imposed deadline. We had a timetable agreement with the Taliban.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-08-31 12:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#15 - American civilians in Afghanistan have had 2 months of warning that they need to evacuate. Must be GenX-ers. We have a tendency to wait until the last minute.

#17 | Posted by ND_Perspective at 2021-08-31 12:20 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

What's an acceptable number of Americans to leave behind for you Yav?

I understand why you'd rather deflect with a question rather than answer. It's because you know you don't know the answer, and that the answer is likely too low to support your fake outrage.

I'm not bothering with giving you an answer until you can define clearly and concisely what an "American" means in your question. The same question I first asked you which you dodged.

Trump had years to get SIVs out. Instead he did everything he could to slow the process down, dropping the number of SIVs in half from Obama's last term.
Did you know that Trump is the one that took the Troops down to 2,500?
apnews.com
The only reason we weren't being attacked is because we had a truce with the Taliban. One that would not be extended again from the May to August extension Biden negotiated.
As to getting people out earlier, that's been covered in numerous discussions as have the reasons and causes.

If you are a solely an American citizen and you didn't get your ass out, then you take you chances with a "diplomatic" exfil. This date has been crystal clear for months. If you were stupid enough to say "we've been here 20 years, nothings going to change" then I welcome you to stay there.

Generally speaking, at this point I have no sympathy.

#18 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-31 12:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Why are y'all celebrating this disaster and congratulating Biden for terrible judgement.

The question is ... Why are you NOT celebrating the bitter end of another disaster created by the terrible judgement of republicans?

This is a BFD!

"Bite'em" bit the bullet bro!

No other President had the gumption.

#19 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-08-31 01:00 PM | Reply

Thank you Joe for doing what the bloated------------- couldn't do.

#10 | POSTED BY NIXON AT 2021-08-31 07:17 AM | REPLY | FLAG:YEAH

Bush started it and couldn't afford to lose face because he was the decider and decided they had ties to Saddams DubyaEmDeez.

Obama could have extracted us after offing bin Laden and giving us the ACA but that gave him a legacy he couldn't afford to have overshadowed by losing a war. After the beige suit scandal, the move was very shrewd indeed.

Trumptidumped is a narcissist with no dogs in the race except for losing face by losing a war.

Biden's mojo is his legacy is more respectable than not. He is of the Vietnam generation so he sort of knew what to expect. Seems to me he also knows he is going to be 80 something when all this bruhaha is over and has nothing to lose.

Besides, sometimes life hands you a bucket of frogs to eat and it's best to start with the biggest.

#20 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-08-31 01:28 PM | Reply

Generally speaking, at this point I have no sympathy.
#18 | POSTED BY YAV AT 2021-08-31 12:42 PM | REPLY

That is crystal clear.

It's all political with you. If Trump had did the same thing I would have the exact same opinion but y'all would be doing a 180 on your views, and you know it.

And no I don't have the names and ages of all the Americans left behind but I suspect we'll find find out.

#21 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-08-31 02:25 PM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY SCOTTE

They had 20 years to get out. And I bet you didn't worry about them at all until a few weeks ago.

But I I bet they appreciate you finally caring enough to whine about what others are doing to save them. And if they are Americans they still can get out. If they really want to.

#22 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-08-31 02:31 PM | Reply

It's all political to you. You don't seem to care about all the Americans dying from COVID and the lies being spread by the GOP. Don't pretend you care about people you can't even tell me a thing about. The only thing you know about them is someone said they're "Americans" and they didn't make it out. You can't tell me what "American" means, why they couldn't get out, or who a single one of them is.

Don't push your -------- fake morality on me.

#23 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-31 02:41 PM | Reply

Talk about deflection..now you're bringing in covid and GOP lies. Show me where I ever supported them.

I don't need to personally know someone to have empathy for them. You on the other hand are saying it's not a problem for me so it's not a problem....that's some Republican thinking right there.

#24 | Posted by ScottE at 2021-08-31 02:59 PM | Reply

I'm saying they had plenty of notice to get out. If they didn't do it, just because you labeled them "American" (you still can't tell me what that means) this is a travesty that Biden owns. I called -------- on that. You don't have a clue why they're still there.

You see a political win in bashing Biden, and you've made that perfectly clear.

So don't try and push that nonsense on me.

#25 | Posted by YAV at 2021-08-31 03:11 PM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY SCOTTE AT 2021-08-31 02:25 PM | REPLY | FLAG:EYE ROLL

Biden is not the first president to leave Americans behind when extracting our military from a war.
You clownbrigaders need to get off your high horse.

It's one of the sucky things about war nobody talks about... especially if you lose... then it's a huge boohoo issue. It wouldn't break my heart if some of those mercenary "security forces" got left there. Fekkin ex-military bloodsuckers.

#26 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2021-08-31 11:43 PM | Reply